Whooping cough vaccine

Like babyslog said, id rather have a sore arm for myself than a poorly baby. I personally dont know why people dont have vaccines done. And especially ones for the baby itself when its born. Xx

I think that it's more to do with other things passing through to the placenta and onto the baby i.e. can cause harm to baby. It's not just about people not wanting a sore arm! I've heard there's other illness in the vac, not just whooping cough.

As Pheonix said, "those vaccinated can be asymptomatic carriers of whooping cough (so potentially infect others, like newborns). And the acellular pertussis vaccine has limited efficacy."

Like babyslog said, id rather have a sore arm for myself than a poorly baby. I personally dont know why people dont have vaccines done. And especially ones for the baby itself when its born. Xx

Because everything isn't that black and white.

Can you not talk to or 'quote' me in comments. You asked me to leave you alone so you do the same.

If I didn't have it, and my baby got whooping cough and suffered / died - then I would feel guilty for the rest of my life for my decision.

If I have it and there are complications for me or the baby that may or may not have been caused by the vaccine - then I might regret having it, but nothing like as much as the above scenario.

On that basis - I'll be having it.

10000% yes! Have mine booked for a week Wed.
Had it with my 1st and personally never understood anyone who chose against it! :)

I don't either...unless there's. An allergy issue,etc. I givemy baby everything going

I think that it's more to do with other things passing through to the placenta and onto the baby i.e. can cause harm to baby. It's not just about people not wanting a sore arm! I've heard there's other illness in the vac, not just whooping cough.

As Pheonix said, "those vaccinated can be asymptomatic carriers of whooping cough (so potentially infect others, like newborns). And the acellular pertussis vaccine has limited efficacy."

Its always going to be a touchy subject to many people. If it harmful they wouldn't recommend having it.

I'm not having it.

When I had my first two kids vaccines were not recommended in pregnancy.

Also, studies on the DTaP vaccine show that those vaccinated can be asymptomatic carriers of whooping cough (so potentially infect others, like newborns). And the acellular pertussis vaccine has limited efficacy.

Can you link to the studies you make reference to? I would be interested to read and critique.

I personally had the whooping cough vaccine and all other vaccines offered to me. My thoughts are that they're recommended for a reason...because the best available current evidence concludes that it's what's best for mum, baby and public health. The guidelines aren't plucked out of thin air or made by people unqualified and not best placed to do so. It's important to remember too that evidence evolves which is why guidelines change over time. Would you want cancer treatment based on 10 year old guidelines? Or would you want the best available up to date treatment? Of course it's right to balance risk versus benefit for the individual but it's equally important to remember that making a decision based on a possible side effect or a daily mail article or an unsubstantiated theory is unlikely to minimise OVERALL risk. I personally trust the science, the academics and the research that has produced the the current guidance.

As much as I agree with you Dooeyona, I think it's also important to remember that just because there isn't confirmed evidence of something, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It takes a lot of research and investigation etc (by scientists) to be able to use that data to confirm that there is a risk involved in something. I am talking about all vaccinations, not particularly whooping cough.
But yes, in this case I'd rather be safe and in the comfort of knowing that my baby can't catch the whooping cough virus. Health professionals wouldn't recommend it if they didn't believe it was safe. The first few months with a newborn will be stressful enough, I don't want any extra worry!

I agree Molly, it definitely does take time to build up an evidence base and categorically prove or disprove something whether that be a link between a vaccine and an adverse effect or something entirely different. At the end of the day though, common sense dictates that we listen to the academics who are qualified to collate and analyse the best available up to date evidence and provide us with recommendations based on same. I personally can't get my head around ignoring this advice. Like I say though, I'm open to (and would be very interested in) reading the articles that people are basing their decisions not to vaccinate on.

Can you link to the studies you make reference to? I would be interested to read and critique.

Just one as I don't want it to turn into a debate.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4482312/
"The United Kingdom (UK) has seen a similarly startling rise, with more cases occurring in 2013 than since the vaccine refusal era of the 1970s and 1980s (data available here: [3], accessed 20 January 2015). Two general hypotheses have been proposed to explain the rise in B. pertussis incidence: either vaccination coverage is too low, where individuals remain unvaccinated or unvaccinated susceptible individuals move into populations; or vaccinated individuals can still become infected [1, 4]. While vaccination coverage has likely played a role in increasing incidence, coverage has historically been high [1, 5], raising the likelihood that the resurgence is — at least in part — due to low vaccine effectiveness [6]."

I'm sure you could find more on it if you wanted to look. Like there was also a study done that used monkeys, they vaccinated them with DTaP and found the vaccinated monkeys had the bacteria in their throats and were infecting the non vaccinated in the group.

Personally I don't want anyone who's recently been vaccinated to be around me or my baby.

I guess as well, when I had my eldest 2 kids 9 & 11 yrs ago there was not the same hype over whooping cough, it was so rare and they didn't vaccinate pregnant women. Yet since the vaccine was given in pregnancy in 2012 rather than whooping cough cases reducing it would appear it's becoming more common. That doesn't make sense to me.

I had it last time and will have it again. I don't want my newborn getting such a horrible yet preventable disease.

Personally I don't want anyone who's recently been vaccinated to be around me or my baby.

How are you going to manage avoiding people who have recently been vaccinated?

You could be behind someone in a shop or next to someone in a lift that could of had the jab literally that day!?

I'm not being funny but if guide going to avoid people,who he be been vaccinated you can't go very far you're entitled to your opinions, but I do think they're a little extreme. I'd actually,rather my baby not be contact with people whoaren't vaccinated (not talking WC here, I meaning generally)

I don't think it matters if someone else chooses to avoid other people who've been vaccinated/haven't been vaccinated. It is our personal choice and if one would prefer to avoid people who have been vaccinated then you could argue that it is just as extreme as someone wanting to avoid people who hadn't. But anyway, none of this is important as this post is not open for debate. OP wants to know whether you will or will not be having the vaccination and what factors you considered upon making your decision.
Let's keep this on point.

It doesnt matter. Im just curious how she may go about her everyday life avoiding people that have chosen to to be vaccinated?

I wouldnt avoid people who chose not to.. As I'd feel fairly safe knowing I chose to have the vaccine, therefore higher chance of not catching that particular illness..

Last edited:
People in a shop aren't likely to be holding my baby ;)
I was talking about visitors tbh not random people in the street x
Oh and not *any* vaccine, just ones like the DTaP that are known to cause people to be asymptomatic carriers, or ones like the flu nasal spray, and MMR, which are live attenuated and therefore have a (small) risk of the recently vaccinated being able to infect others.

In general I trust our immune system so it isn't something I worry about, but as others in the thread have claimed they are getting vaccinated "to protect society" I was giving my viewpoint that actually I'm more bothered about coming into contact with recently vaccinated people than ones who've not had the vaccine.

Last edited:
People in a shop aren't likely to be holding my baby ;)
I was talking about visitors tbh not random people in the street x
Oh and not *any* vaccine, just ones like the DTaP that are known to cause people to be asymptomatic carriers, or ones like the flu nasal spray, and MMR, which are live attenuated and therefore have a (small) risk of the recently vaccinated being able to infect others.

In general I trust our immune system so it isn't something I worry about, but as others in the thread have claimed they are getting vaccinated "to protect society" I was giving my viewpoint that actually I'm more bothered about coming into contact with recently vaccinated people than ones who've not had the vaccine.

So your going to refuse friends & family from visiting yourself and baby? People carry flu germs etc etc all the time. It's something you cant avoid. Good luck with that!!

Phoenix the info you're sharing makes a lot of sense in my opinion. I accepted the vaccine back in 2012 because of an apparent outbreak and in my next pregnancy in 2014 this outbreak still existed. Reading that study it kind of makes sense.
As for not allowing recently vaccinated visitors access to your newborn,that's pretty easily done surely? Not everyone gets the vaccine - mainly pregnant women and newborns so it won't be hard do filter those people out for the first 8 weeks.

Last edited:
Yes, I don't think my friends and family will mind me saying "please don't visit us [early on] if you or your child(ren) have recently been vaccinated"
Just like it's common for new parents to ask visitors not to come round to see the baby if they have a cold etc.

Last edited:
I had this vaccine. I was offered it at a routine appointment and it didn't hurt nearly as much as other jabs I've had. (cough cough STEROID INJECTIONS FOR LO) :lol: I would have it again definitely. I didnt get around to the flu one as I'd had him before scheduling it (it was just getting into flu season). With further thought, I don't think it's fair to subject a LO to whooping cough. I did however, stay indoors for a few days after which wasnt hard as my arm was a tad sore and felt abit tired and groggy.I also don't think it's entirely fair to put other people when out in public who are immune system compromised into direct firing line of any illness, having had a baby with a low immune system myself. Then again, if me, OH or LO aren't well or recently vaccinated, we don't go out in public, perhaps because we're more considerate than some? I honestly haven't read enough studies to have a downright opinion of anti/pro vax, but I don't think it does any harm to have it in the hope that it DOES work? I don't think I'd ever forgive myself for giving my child, or contributing in any part to a revival of a completely preventable disease, which people dont vaccinate against because they ride on the competency of other children's immunities (who have usually been vacced).

In short, yes, had it. Yes, would get it again :lol:

I think unless your a scientist and have done research on this then your never going to be a 100% sure all you can do is read research documents but some of them are bias. My brother works for A drugs company in America as a vaccine researcher and obviously is very pro vac as am I. When I was considering the menb jab privately for my daughter I emailed him and asked him for his opinion on all vaccines this is what he said:

Regarding your question about the meningitis jab, I would absolutely have no hesitation in my baby having it. I am 99.9% confident that the era of "unsafe" vaccines is well and truely over (end of the 1980's). This MenB vaccine, like the vast majority of 21st century jabs, only contains the proteins of the pathogen that the immune system needs to recognise the bug ("antigens"). It does not contain any infectious organism, or even an entire inactivated organism. The same goes for modern flu vaccines etc. So there is ZERO risk of developing am infection due the vaccine itself. Toddlers (and University Students) are the highest risk populations to contract MengB, since they are introduced to a lot of new bodies in a very confined space, often sharing communal supplies etc. In these populations, people who have not had the vaccine rely on "herd immunity" for protection, that is, they rely on everyone else having been vaccinated. If large proportion of the population does not have the MengB jab, the incidence risk goes up a lot.
This goes for the majority of vaccines nowadays and I couldn't forgive myself if my baby got whooping cough and I could have prevented it so yes il def have it even tho I felt ill last time for a few days from it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back