Whooping cough vaccine

Rhelen91

Reaction score
Without wanting to cause any arguments between Pro/Anti Vac families, I'd just like to ask all the other expectant mums on here if you will be having the whooping cough vaccine from the 28th week of pregnancy or if you wont be having it, and what factors did you consider when making your decision?

Ive had it it was sore but the fear of our rainbow baby suffering from whooping cough before theyre vaccinated was too risky xx

I'm having it, as above I didn't like the idea of the littleun catching it when it could have been avoided x

Without a doubt ill be having it - already booked in - the thought if baby getting whooping cough is too much of a,risk when it can be prevented

Then , again I'm very pro vac and get any vaccination going lol.but yes,I wouldn't even consider refusing as babies can die from it and if tuey don't it's,still a horrendous ordeal for them.

I've had it and will be having every jab I'm offered if it means protecting myself and baby. Xx

I'm booked in for it as everyone else has said, anything to protect my little one.xx

I have a very anti-vac MW and a very pro-vac doctor, so they were both saying different things. I had mine booked in, and then at the last minute I cancelled it after chatting with my MW. Then I sort of forgot about it.

At my antenatal class the other day, out of 7 other women I was the only one who hadn't had it (and this is Brighton!), one lady there had actually caught whooping cough last year and said she was coughing for 4 months straight, and she wouldn't wish it upon anyone especially not a baby. The fact is, whooping cough is a thing and it does happen. If baby was to catch it before 6 weeks old, s/he would die. I'm not willing to take that risk, so I've rebooked it for this Monday coming. I'm 37 weeks now, but better late than never!

But I will add... 3/7 of those ladies said they felt unwell for the next few days after having the jab.

I'm not having it.

When I had my first two kids vaccines were not recommended in pregnancy.

Also, studies on the DTaP vaccine show that those vaccinated can be asymptomatic carriers of whooping cough (so potentially infect others, like newborns). And the acellular pertussis vaccine has limited efficacy.

Last edited:
I'll be having it, I'm very pro - vac. Happy to have anything which protects myself, my baby and the rest of society xx

I also kind of think it's important to not only protect yourself and your baby, but others around you too (like scn said). It feels a bit like our duty in society.
However, it is nobody's choice but your own. Do what you feel is best. I am always so indecisive about vaccinations, I've been so 50/50 with this one but I'd say I'm ever so slightly leaning 60/40 towards vac.

Iv just booked mine for 18th March. Il take anything to protect little one.

10000% yes! Have mine booked for a week Wed.
Had it with my 1st and personally never understood anyone who chose against it! :)

I have a very anti-vac MW and a very pro-vac doctor, so they were both saying different things. I had mine booked in, and then at the last minute I cancelled it after chatting with my MW. Then I sort of forgot about it.

At my antenatal class the other day, out of 7 other women I was the only one who hadn't had it (and this is Brighton!), one lady there had actually caught whooping cough last year and said she was coughing for 4 months straight, and she wouldn't wish it upon anyone especially not a baby. The fact is, whooping cough is a thing and it does happen. If baby was to catch it before 6 weeks old, s/he would die. I'm not willing to take that risk, so I've rebooked it for this Monday coming. I'm 37 weeks now, but better late than never!

My OH had it in 2012 when i was 12wks preg with my 1st. It was awful to witness on a man let alone what it would be like for a baby!! Honestly thought he was going to choke to death it was horrible to watch!!

Glad u havenit rebooked :)

My arm did get really sore afterwards, red and inflammed. But by day 4 it was back to normal :) so would rather that 100s over than risk baba catching it like u say xxx

Like babyslog said, id rather have a sore arm for myself than a poorly baby. I personally dont know why people dont have vaccines done. And especially ones for the baby itself when its born. Xx

Like babyslog said, id rather have a sore arm for myself than a poorly baby. I personally dont know why people dont have vaccines done. And especially ones for the baby itself when its born. Xx

Because everything isn't that black and white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back