Who else has a dog?

bidsy

Reaction score
I have a springer spaniel who is bonkers and we live in a 2 bed house. My family have always been against dogs and my brother will not bring my niece as he doesnt want her near my dog (daisy) even though he has never seen her he just doesnt like them. He seems to think that I am going to get rid of her now that I am pregnant. I couldnt as ive had her since being a puppy and we love her to bits. I do admit she is boysturous and sometimes I wonder how she will be with baby and how I will cope with her as well as baby. She is good she just gets excited when we have company so noone really sees her when she is calm. Does any one have any tips as to what I can do to prepare her for the new arrival or has anyone got dogs already and had babies and how was they?? Thanks ladies xxxxx

I have 2 German Shepherds :eek: they both getting on now , ten years old, though the one is still like a puppy, she knows something is up cos she is very loving, they are very good with friends children so they should be ok

I also have a horse, thats is 3, was supposed to be breaking him this summer, but have put that on hold for now :p

Last edited:
I haven't got a dog at the moment, but I do have a cat and the amount of people who have told me to get rid of him is unbelievable!! Stupid comments like 'cats suck the breath of babies' WTF?! And that they will suffocate the baby-who leaves a cat/dog/ferret alone with a baby?! Wouldvsomeome give away their child because there was another child coming into the house? No! (well I hope not anyhoo) x I don't want to offend anyone but I think it's ridiculous to keep a child away from animals as it breeds fear, rather than the respect that should be taught! I have been brought up around animals my whole life, dogs and cats as well as other random animals like rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, domesticated rats, mice and some fish x my only advice, which goes for ANY animal, is do not leave baby alone with the animal, not even for a minute as that is all it takes! I know you wouldn't but all the horror stories I've heard or read about (including the most recent one where a toddler got attacked by a sheep dog (border collie) the baby/toddler/child was left alone with the dog. I love my cat (he's my furry baby) but I would never leave him alone with Seb x x x keep your furry baby, I would x x

I have a springer spaniel who is bonkers and we live in a 2 bed house. My family have always been against dogs and my brother will not bring my niece as he doesnt want her near my dog (daisy) even though he has never seen her he just doesnt like them. He seems to think that I am going to get rid of her now that I am pregnant. I couldnt as ive had her since being a puppy and we love her to bits. I do admit she is boysturous and sometimes I wonder how she will be with baby and how I will cope with her as well as baby. She is good she just gets excited when we have company so noone really sees her when she is calm. Does any one have any tips as to what I can do to prepare her for the new arrival or has anyone got dogs already and had babies and how was they?? Thanks ladies xxxxx

This is EXACTLY what our dog is like- quiet as a mouse when just us here but loves visitors and gets excited! I have had soooo many lectures from family about her but we would never get rid of her. Bottom line is that she has a gorgeous nature and although I know she is boistrous, she would never go for anyone. (she's an English Bull terrier too so only has a very small fan base due to her odd shaped head!!!) I know that we would never leave her alone with the baby or anything and we will have to make some changes and have started now so she doesn't associate the changes with the baby. We have put a gate in th kitchen to living room door and she stays behind it when we have visitors til she calms down. ANy other helpful advice would be appreciated though!!

Pam x

I've got a 2 yr old staffy,he's quiet most of the time,gets a bit excited in the evening but only 4 about half an hour,again he gets excited when visitors come round,my in laws refuse to visit cos we have him,my sis in law came the other week but refused to cone in the house unless he was locked away and called him vicious!!?? Does she really think I'd have a vicious dog around my kids,we've had him from been a puppy and he's grown up wiv my v boisterous son who's now 3 and a half,I know it's goin to b a lot harder with this baby cps I won't b able to just put him/her down 4 a sleep then do my jobs,ul have to have the dog with me at all times but I'm sure it's not goin to b a massive problem xx

Oh I get it from all angles cos I have 3 german shepherds a jack russell and 4 cats. The hurtful things people say (usually people who should really know better!!), implying I am a bad mother for not getting rid of my pets, even though the kids and animals adore each other.It was so bad at the beginning of my preg I had trouble sleeping. Even my own mother said that if i didn't get rid of the pets (that she knows are fine with the kids and always have been) then I care more about them than my kids. What shit!

Of course you have to be sensible and keep a watchful eye (that the kids aren't trying to ride the dogs having "donkey races") but it is really good for the kids to have pets. x

[
007-4.jpg
[/IMG]

This is making me want a dog again x x gorgeous pics amyjane x

My dog is like that too. Just goes nuts when people come to visit. For the first few months when the baby was in the Moses basket downstairs, we would let him in the room to sniff around her. He got excited but if he was getting too hyper, we put him in the other room.

Hold the baby behind a baby gate and introduce them when you first arrive home. Let him smell her clothes etc. He just wants to see what it is! We did this until she was a bit older and he could actually sniff her. Now they are great friends! Well, she pokes him but he doesn't mind lol

Oh lovely stories and what a lovely piccie amyjayne, thank you that has helped alot. I couldnt get rid of her she is a really loving dog and very gentle she is 15 months old and has never been vicious, think you all are right about just making sure that they are not left alone together which I wont do anyway. Its so annoying isnt it when ppl think they know whats best even though they havent a clue how you live. Thanks again girls I dont feel like im in the wrong now xxxxx

Last edited:
You will be suprised at how loving the digs become. I have a king Charles and at the moment he follows me everywhere!! So I know he knows I'm pregnant. Plus we will be getting an adult golden retriever in a couple of months ( best family dog ever imInt opinion)In fact when my mum was pregnant my nans dog wouldn't leave her side one day... And it turned out because she was in labour!- dog was a golden retriever!

My whole family have or have had dogs and it hasn't ever been a problem with kids- aunt even had an English ball when my cousin was born.

All you need to do is make sure that you still give them attention and everything will be fine. It would be best to not leave the baby alone with the dog at any time as sometimes young dogs can think they are a toy, and could nip them. That being said I was always crawling over my parents springer spaniel!

I have a border collie and a staffy cross. Before Eva came along I was quite worried as they're both a bit mental and really boysterous. I couldn't have been more surprised by them. Floss the collie wasn't bothered with her when she was little but now they are best friends and I often find them having a cuddle in floss's bed. Mikey has been a gem!!! At first it was a bit difficult as he wouldn't let anyone but me or Eva's dad near her :lol: He would jump up onto his back legs as if "hey i dont know you!" :lol: As she's got older he never leaves her side, sleeps outside her safety gate and comes in to wake me if she stirs. Again I often find them having a hug or her sneaking him bits of food :)

People can be really judgemental but as long as you're careful and trust your instincts you'll be fine :) My ex MIL was told this in no uncertain terms the first time she commmented on him being a "dangerous breed" :lol:

iv got a 2 yr old jack russell who is exactally the same, mental when anyone else comes to visit the house, but fine when its just me n hubster, she is quite bouncy tho so trying to keep her off my belly is a problem at the mo,lol but she is the most loyal protective thing ever and everytime i have the baby chanel on sky :blush: she comes in from the garden or where ever she is and sits infront of the tv and watches :dog:

the only thing she doesnt like is other dogs and 1s just moved in over the road and our nxt door neighbours, but i cant blame her cos i hate the neighbours too,lol :lol:

xxxx

We have two staffy's and they are like my babies. The breeder who we got them from has three children herself and our girls love babies of all ages!!Star the youngest is laid with her head on my tummy now. They are the softest pair imaginable, like most staffy's they do get excitable but calm down quickly when they are told to. The amount of parents who drag their kid away from them when were out walking is unbelieveable, if they'd only give them a chance, but hey ho!!

Last edited:
when we were kids we were taught that if the dog was in her bed then she wanted to be alone and that was her space to escape away from screaming kids. and i think if the dog ever jumped up my mum and dad would just tell her to get down and she eventually never did it cause she learnt not to x

We have a cat which came with the house but shes Johns cat cause we don't really get on. I asked the midwife about it and she said no contact with the litter which is fine cause johns does everything cat related anyway.

On the other hand my dog Holly stays with my mum because she has another dog called Bailey and they are inseperable so Holly couldn't come when I moved out :( I miss her terribly as whenever shes ill she always comes to me to me comfort but the midwife has said dogs are safe so me is happy.
They are both coming round soon because mum is away on hols and I'm so excited Holly is so soft and guards any vunerable or sick animal so I think she will sit at the bottom of the nearest space to baby lol :)

Don't worry Bidsy, def keep your dog, people are too harsh to judge , your baby will love having your dog around as he/she grows up, familys should always have an animal of some sort, great for kids.

We don't have a dog, but have a cat, (you can get moses basket cat nets you know, for reasurance), mine did always try to sleep on my head so it worried, me. but we got her when my first was 6 mths, and he tobbledhimself from the baby bouncer trying to get her! so we had to buy a sturdier bouncer!

My cats called Smartie, and she was rubbish with the kids to start with, and now, they can carry her about and she sleeps on their beds with then and they love it.

We have chickens to, so thta will be a new one to work out how to handle, but kids gotta learn!

Although I didn't have a dog when I had my third child, second child was 13 mths old, so very boisterius, and so we got a large travel cot and put it up permentantly in the lounge. We sat the moses basket in there or the bouncer if baby had fallen asleep in it, and then when I left the room etc number 2 couldn't touch her , but could see her etc through the mesh, best thing I did. Didn't want to always put the baby upstairs away from me. Perhaps this would work for you and your dog?

Last edited:
i have a 6 year old labrador and we have had him since a pup. he is like part of the family and if anyone suggested i needed to get rid of him i would be very upset with them. he is one of the best companions ive ever had and he has always been there for me (sounds mad i know!!) when my hubby was in iraq and other military tours he was always at home waiting for me and kept me company (my dog that is) so although i understand not to leave the dog alone with baby im not getting rid of him!!!!!!! xx

Hi there,

I have a Weimaraner and we love him dearly! He's been our baby up until now but know we will have to share our time when the baby is due!!! My friend has recently had a baby and she has a Rottweiler (who is soft as anything!!!) and when she was later on in pregnancy she started to prepare her dog to the up and coming birth by - only letting it go in certain rooms, putting it outside for short periods of time. As long as you give a little of your special time to the dog when the baby is born everything should be ok!!! Having a pet will teach you child a long list of lessons in life!!!

Attachments

• Jan 2010 001.jpg
    Jan 2010 001.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1
beautiful dog debs and congrats on your pregnancy xxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members