Which toiletries do you need for a newborn?

knopk@

Reaction score
Hi ladies :)

All lists seem to suggest you need toiletries for the baby but I am not sure what exactly I will need and when you can actually start using them?
I know you are not supposed to use wipes for 2-4 weeks, does it mean you cant use anything else as well? I have sudocrem but thats it really

Help please

I also got baby bath, baby shampoo and talcum powder. Obviously for bath time.
I used sudocrem from day 2 in hospital so thats fine to use straight away!
XxX

Water is fine with bathing for the first couple of weeks then you can start using shampoo, bath wash etc. I used wipes straight away, cotton wool is hard to get poo off!

Cotton wool n water is all u need, suducream or vaseline. I suggest don't use all baby creams n bathoils, its not nessasary and gave Noa eczma. For us olive oil was needed for dry skin and a drop in the bath. We used a Tiny bit of top n tail if needed but not often as his skin was very sensetive x x

I always use Johnson's baby bath followed by a little baby oil before I dry them as I always found talcum powder seems to dry their skin out too much, did for my others anyway and I also have a soft baby wash mitt and sudocrem for their little bums :D I always used baby wipes right from the start with my other 3 and never had any problems, didn't even know you are not meant too.

Last edited:
Have been told not to use anything but water due to the chemicals being too harsh for a newborn's skin.

Although have been told by someone that it is safe to use cold chamomile tea and cotton wool instead of baby wipes. Think that's what I'll be using, sounds like it'll be better for the skin.

I do agree that water is fine for a while, I didn't get to bath Matthew till he was 3 weeks as was in and out of hospital so much.
XxX

well a think they all go diff rules when a was in maternity having me son they showed u how to bath them they used johnsons babybath then he was in special care later on they show u same thing minus baby bath am like we are in same hospital 1 says no other says yes a use infa care a prefer that use from day 1 and also use huggies wipes that are omly water in them never did any harm x and a hatedhuggies nappies twhen they were wet hey have wee crystals things in them that float about its minging pampers win anyday x

Around here the advice is to use NOTHING bar warm water on baby til they're 8 days old... So we haven't got anything is the way of toiletries tbh xx

I had been under the impression that I couldn't use anything but water on newborn skin so hadn't taken any toiletries into hospital. When G arrived the MW was showing me how to bath him and was shocked I had nothing! She said that water alone couldn't possibly remove all the "gunk" he was covered in! Gross. Anyway, she said to use Johnsons top to toe wash. I'm sure it probably depends on the individual - I always felt like I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't when it came to midwife advice!!!

Don't forget something nice to treat mummy! Seeing as you will be the one in need of a bit of pampering after carrying baby for 9 months!

We were advised to use coton wool, water, olive oil and vaseline for about 2-3 weeks whilst he had dry skin.
Now we use Johnsons Bathtime Bubble bath and lotion, it smells beaut! i still use Vaseline on his face as it seems to help reduce his milk spots. I also used wipes from about 1 week old because coton wool is naff at moving poo, and leaves bits of fluff round his bits! I would suggest supermarket own brand wipes, they are better value for money. Have a look at how many wipes per pack you get. I think Johnsons have 54 wipes whereas Asda have 80 and are just as good!
You'll learn what is best for you and your baby.

Grace had her first bath in hospital on day 2/3 with just warm water. My MIL was mortified and kept going on about getting all the gunk off her! I was advised as above just water for bathing, olive oil for dry skin and I was a actually told not to use cream on her bottom unless she was rashy - the newborn pampers apparently have a balm on them anyway. It was my community midwife that told me this when she took her nappy off to check her over and noticed I had used sudocrem. Tbh I did use a barrier cream from time to time but if using those nappies she said it wasn't necessary.

I was told Johnsons is too harsh at first and I tend to agree, although if using anything I was told that the top to toe wash is best. I found I needed cradle cap shampoo as she was very dry. X

With regards to cotton wool and wipes, I started with cotton wool but soon moved to wipes as it was impossible to get their first sticky poos off without! Cotton wool just makes a mess! I think the pure or non fragrances wipes are fine :)

Last edited:
I don't like using wipes till later on and started using them at about 4 months ish baby age.

I also had issues using Johnsons with my daughter (my older sons were ok when babies tho) so brought only infacare bath stuff and Dermacare zero bath stuff , which we all use now.

We did use cradlecap shampoo as he got this bad at 6-8 weeks onwards, but buy this if you need it as some may not get it.

Regaring wipes, I would recomend paying extra and buying the facial wipes , large squares , sort of sewn together better , rather than cotton wool roll as these get off that nasty meuconium type early poos much better and don't leave cotton wool fluff everywhere!! Just take a little plastic tub in bag (hosps should give you a little throwaway one mind) for your water to sit on the hosp table next to you.

Zac had a bath in hospital and they used baby bath, so I used johnsons top to toe wash from the start. I also used wipes for poos straight away, but cotton wool and water for wees. I always made sure I dried his bum when changing him (still do) or he got a bit chapped xxx

I used wipes from the very start. We top and tailed with just water for the first week or so. When he has his bath we put baby bath in the water and just wash him with that. When he gets out the bath we massage baby oil into him. We also use sudocrem if his bum gets a little red. Thats the main products we use.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back