some advice needed ladies

winnie89

Reaction score
hi, just been sorting my hospital bag out and making sure i have got everything, and i packed a pack of wipes for little one , mark (my hubby) then turned around and said i'm not allowed to use wipes on harry when he is born, but i spoke to my midwife and she said they reccomend you use only cotton wool and water but then it's my child i can use whatever i want really. nothing is going to harm him in anyway i think mark is just being protective?

so my argument is if i'm not supposed to be using wipes on my child when they are born why do they make the sensative ones for new borns? what is everyone else using?

Don't worry, they do want you to use cotton wool and warm water but they can't stop you using wipes on your own baby!

We were using wipes on Oz from day 2 in hospital just coz it was so much easier. We still use cotton wool and warm water for morning and night washes but all through the day we use wipes and his bum has been fine!!

thanks, i told him not to worry because people wouldnt buy them if they were bad for newborns i think he's going to be an anxious dad and worry about everything x

Awwww it's cute that he worries so much. I think I'll just be using wipes from day one, it's easier by far and as has been said, they wouldn't have been made if they were unsafe and harmful :)

I am sure I will be using wipes from day one aswell. If it ended up irritating wee babies Bum then id change to maybe just cotton wool . Being a parent is going to be scary lol

I'm taking a small pack of wipes in with me too. There's so many things everyone says you can and can't do, it gets difficult sticking to them all and remembering them!

Using baby wipes on newborn babies won't harm them - it didn't harm us when we were babies so what is the difference now? Silly if you ask me!

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

I used wipes with my son leo, the midwifes and nurses said nothing really. Its all what you want to use x

I am taking some baby wipes with me but may just use some dry wipes I have for the first few days with warm water just to keep the midwives happy as my sil said when she was in last year some of them can be really fussy about certain things especially feeding and changing............once I am home I will do what I want to do !

i have used wipes with both mine when i came out the hospital as some of the older midwives can be really fussy "as they know best" apparently!! so took cotton wool with me and wipes and only used the cotton wool when the older midwives were around as the younger ones were not fussed what u used :)

its not harmed either of mine xx

i HATE the feel of cotton wool so baby wipes will be the only think i'll be using!

when we had our wee man we got told that we had to use cotton wool, but to be honest it sticks to his bum and everything and for us it was more faff than it was worth. We were so trusting at that time and they made it sound lke we would be doing joshua a disservice if we used wipes but we did use them after a couple of days and oh my word it was so worthwhile and quick and easy and trouble free to change him. (well except for the fact youre messing with poop)!

Next baby we will NOT be using cotton wool!!

xx good thread though i wish i had asked first xx

I have packed cotton wool for my bag, but also put in a small travel pack of wipes because they recommend for 6weeks you use just cotton wool as babies skin is sensitive, but its your baby so your choice. My MW however informed us to take a small pack of wipes for the first poo as you will never get it off with just cotton wool. xx

Thanks ladies, see my mom used wipes on all 4 of us and we all turned out fine I think he's just scared that's everything is going to hurt him, marks never really been round a baby as an adult but me being the oldest of 4 it doesn't faze me I think he just needs to relax and listen to me

Depends on the baby to be honest, I used wipes on my first 3 from birth and they were fine but they started to make Jacob sore so I had to use cotton wool and warm water on him until he was about 10 weeks, he has really sensitive skin, it was a nightmare cleaning all the poo that way but I had no choice xxx

Last edited:
I'm using wipes. Used cotton wool for all of 5 minutes with my son it's such a pain in the arse (excuse the pun). I use tesco fragrance free.

thanks everyone we had a big argument last night in which i ended up storming off to bed! he decided to re-arrange my hospital bag and take all of my wipes out and the baby lotion and baby shampoo that i had put in my bag he said ur not using any of these on my son! and i'm like excuse me who the hell do you think ur talking to, i'm the one who's carried him for 8 months so far and i'm the one who going to have to deliver him, i ended up phoning his mom and she told mark to stop being a child and listen to me because i actually know what i'm talking about! and he hasnt said anything since to me! (yay for MIL) i know it's a bit scary and daunting becoming a parent but i think he just needs to trust me, when i woke up this morning and he apologized and said he's going to trust my jusgment! result!! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back