When did you start buying in preparation

Kezzamunster

Reaction score
Good Morning ladies :wave:

I hope everyones ok :thumbup:

Just looking for advice really, I'll start from the beginning.....

I'm over WTT & not TTC for another 3 years, I'm a bit of a 'Monica' when it comes to being organised & prepared, especially for things to come in the future

I've already got my 'baby' list sorted & things listed under categories like clothing, feeding, changing, nursery, bathing etc. I've already planned the nursery out, where things like the furniture will go & the OH has said he is going to re-jig the built in wardrobe & make all the other furniture so it's one of a kind. I've got the Mamas & Papas & Mothercare latest catalogues so I can work out approximate costings to

I was chatting to my best friend (she has 3 children) about my lists & told her as we will remain 'Team Yellow', everything will be in neutral colours so asked when should I start to buy things & she said there's no harm in picking bits up now for the future especially if we have the space for storing it, feel very lucky that we do but at the same time it's not necessarily good advice for me cos I'd buy everything now if I could :rotfl:

Anyway, when did you all start buying bits & pieces?

Sorry for the long post

xxxxxxx

When ur about 20 weeks start buying a packet of nappies and baby wipes with every food shop, if u do it weekly, will save tonnes of money when your maternity pay starts to disappear! Best thing we did!

sent from iPhone sorry for the typos!!

I didn't start buying anything until after my 20 week scan. Not a thing. I was scared it wasn't going to happen and didn't want to jinx it.

Before week 20 if I saw something I wanted I put that money I wouldve spent in my savings account. Like the exact amount (it's something I've always done when saving). I had nearly £700 by the time my 20 week scan came round!

Because I had a MC first, I waited til after the 20 week scan.

Last edited:
Awww thanks so much for your quick replies, will defo bear in mind & love the saving idea as well

xxx

I wish I had saved a bit more before I fell pregnant. I saved £400 from when I found out till just before 20wk scan. This all went on new carpets for the new house :( I also started buying small things after the 12 wk scan like toiletries etc. I have found it easier to buy things each week because I probably couldn't do it in bulk. I don't think I'd feel comfortable buying baby things before I was pregnant and saving would be better for me.

x x x x

Thanks pinkymum :)

Our plan of action is to sort our flat & pay off the debts this year, pay our wedding off next year then use 2013 & maybe 2014 to save so we have a few pennies saved, well this is our plan so fx it goes accordingly

xxx

i still need quite a few things and i only have 15 weeks left yet my sil has almost everything and has been buying for over a year and she isnt 12 weeks yet

Kezzamunster - that saving thing I read about somewhere and me and OH did it for a year before we went travelling. I still can't quite believe it but we saved £14,000 in ONE YEAR!

It's really easy to do if you have online banking.

Every day we would consciously resist spending. Every time we resisted or found a cheaper alternative then that money was put straight into the savings account.

Things like... If we were going out I'd look for an outfit but then hunt for a cheaper alternative (or even better jazz up something I already owned or dug out something I'd forgotten about). Whatever the price of the original outfit was, I'd transfer the money or work out the difference.

If we went out for a meal we put a ban on starters and desserts (and wine in the beginning but that got boring so we stopped that one!). I'd ask the waiter which dish was the biggest portion and order that. Then we'd again work out the difference and put it in the savings. Not having starters and desserts easy saved us £20 a time and eating out once a week it soon added up at £80 a month.

If we stayed in on a sat night we put what we would've spent in the account. With taxis, food, drink etc it was shocking to realise we could easily blow £150 in one night.

Gym membership got cancelled and we started running together. Gym membership money (nearly £100 a month jointly!) went in.

Sold Shaun's car and managed with one (5,000 in the account). What he used to spend on petrol, tax, insurance went into the account.

I even did it for lunches so if I made our lunch i'd transfer the £7 we would've spent at Greggs.

I couldn't believe how quickly it worked and also how our lifestyle wasn't really compromised. We still went out (most of the time I didn't drink and drove us so saved on booze and taxi), we still bought what we wanted - just cheaper alternatives.

And at the end of it we had a 7 month round the world honeymoon that was truly magical and worth all the hard saving work!

You sound super organised. If youre anything like me, this type of saving becomes a little challenge and fun. I loved it!

i still need quite a few things and i only have 15 weeks left yet my sil has almost everything and has been buying for over a year and she isnt 12 weeks yet

Thanks midnight :)

:shock: I'm glad you mentioned about your SIL as I honestly think that would of been me had I not done my lil enquiries. After everyones advice, I think I'm definitely going to hold back from purchasing, thanks girls

xxx

Thanks midnight :)

:shock: I'm glad you mentioned about your SIL as I honestly think that would of been me had I not done my lil enquiries. After everyones advice, I think I'm definitely going to hold back from purchasing, thanks girls

xxx

she literally only has clothes and a crib to buy she has everything else she had some bargains too :)

i dont like buyinmg before 12 weeks as i feel like im tempting fate so the saving idea sounds fab :)

Wow Rayoflight, I can't thank you enough for your advice, that's going right to the front of my planning notebook :)

I love hearing about everyones experiences & especially that it can be done, your living proof

It's my weekend off so I'm going to sit there & work things out with what we can save & am excited about the challenge to

xxx

I know I'm organised but jeez....

Come to think of it, I think I'd be worried about jinxing things to cos even now I'll do things in a certain way to try & make things happen or change them plus with being in WTT if things were in the flat now, think the broodiness & emotions would take over any sensible realistic thinking

xxx

i only have my pram so far and some clothes Its like im waiting till i buy stuff but im at the point where i actually dnt know what im waiting for lol x

Thanks Lou :)

I'm amazed at how much you actually need, glad I've done my checklist but it's crazy & exciting

xxx

i only have my pram so far and some clothes Its like im waiting till i buy stuff but im at the point where i actually dnt know what im waiting for lol x

This is me too Lou!! I put it off and put it off, think I found the whole thing rather overwhelming. I got to 27 weeks and all I had was 1 vest and 1 sleepsuit!! Then I got admitted to hospital and they told me I had to stay in till the baby was born:shock:

I freaked out totally as I literally had nothing!! Friends and family rallied round and started buying me bits and bobs and I was let out for a few hours and managed to buy my pram. My friend ordered me my crib the other day and that's coming next week....so I'm gradually getting there but still have all the bedding to get.

I think there is a balance between doing it too early and leaving it so late that you get caught out like I nearly did!! I must say now I have more stuff I am gradually feeling more prepared and am getting excited xxx

Last edited:
I think there is a balance between doing it too early and leaving it so late that you get caught out like I nearly did!! xxx

Thanks Amanda :)

This is definitely something I will need to bear in mind, very close at the front of it as I have a tendency to do everything either all or nothing, I struggle with inbetween

xxx

I started after the 12 week scan but only a couple of little bits like a pram blanket and a couple of sleepsuits. I then did a bulk buy when the xmas sales were still on just after my 20 week scan. Have literally everything now, just need a cot mobile, a couple of outfits and some little bits for my hospital bag :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back