When are you telling work?

abswarren

Reaction score
Hi I just wondered when you were all going to tell your boss. I am only 8 weeks but my brain is fryed and I think I am on another planet at the moment. They must suspect something or just think I am crap at my job!! I feel I should tell them so they know why I am like I am. Do you think its too early?

If so when do you think is a good time to tell them?

I told mine the minute I knew but then im on contract.

But you should be entitled to time of with pay for appointments like scans and midwife so its your call really when you feel ready.

I know this most prob dont help :think:

take care
mibiuk :hug:

I wasn't going to tell my manager until after my scan on 18th as I hardly see her anyway. Recently though I'm getting more and more paranoid that the gossips (especially all the male contractors that come to my building!) are speculating again which I hate- before it just used to upset me as it was because I was putting on weight! I'm going to tell her this Friday though as I'm concerned about elements of my job that I won't be able to do if lone working.
Completely up to you and depends on your job. I'm all up in the clouds too but my assistant knows...although thinking about it all she does is laugh at me rather than support or cover for me! :shakehead:
Maybe just tell your boss in confidence and ask that they don't tell anyone else until after you have had the scan and dates so you can make concrete plans for leave etc.

Well, I'm still on maternity leave!
I'm going back to work on the 9th March, so I wont be telling them before that.
I have hyperemesis whilst pregnant, so if I can go back to work in March - I'll be coming up 12 weeks, then I will try and hold off telling them until it becomes noticable (i only work in a bookshop). If I have to go on sick leave because of the sickness, then they'll know straight away when I go back (or don't go back!) to work!

I told my line manager and the company director at 10.5 weeks as they were visiting from London and I didn't want to leave it and then tell them by phone. I was so nervous about telling them as I knew that it would cause a lot of disruption in the middle of a very busy project. I was feeling so sick that I thought I had morning sickness on the morning that I told them (I'm not getting nausea generally). They we so nice about it though. They were genuinely pleased for me and said that I was not to worry about anything. I'm so glad that I told them early as I would have just got into more and more of a state about teling them. Now I can relax and take things a little easier knowing that they will understand. I haven't told my colleagues yet. I was going to leave it until after the dating scan but that's not til 14 weeks and I think it's getting obvious now. Like handbagqueen I don't want it to be generally gossiped about before I tell people...I'll probably tell on Monday. I'm not feeling particularly pregnant tho so I'd really have liked the scan first just to put my mind at rest.

Hey,

I told mine straight away but that was because I found out whilst on my lunch break (wasn't planned so I was very shocked and needed to talk about it!)

You might not have a choice if you show early!! How exciting!

I think it all depends on you as a person, only you know if it's too early or if you would like the support at work it might be an idea to talk?!

Let us know how it goes though :)

xxx

I'm dreading telling my boss. Last time, I was only off for 4.5 months and it was over the summer period when we are quieter, so it wasn't much of an impact. He knows I wanted my children close together but the timing for the company is as bad as it can be and I want to take 6 months off this time - it was hard to carry on b/f when I went back to work early last time. I know I should tell them asap because it will take alot of planning, but I keep putting it off because of the negative reaction. maybe next week?!?!

Hi Andrea,

Don't they legally have to give you 9 months if you've been there over 2 years?

xx

I told my line manager at around 8 weeks because I like him and because there is a fair amount of heavy lifting in my job. I told the HR dept officially on Wednesday as I have been off with a migraine/sickness from Monday to Wednesday and I felt that my being pregnant would explain my absense better (and make me sound like less of a skivver lol) :D

However I still haven't told our families yet so I don't want it getting around at work. I have sent them a letter with words to that effect so fingers crossed :D

I'm so glad it's not just me stressing about this! I told a few of my friends from work weeks ago cos I was so excited and had to tell somebody!! However, I didn't want to tell my boss until I'd had my scan so I knew everything was ok. The girls have been great and kept it secret, and I had my scan on Tuesday. So I went into work on Wednesday intending to tell my boss but he was in a meeting so I couldn't. Now it's getting really awkward because he is going away tomorrow for a month, so I would like to tell him before he goes, but I went in to see him today and he wasn't there! What do I do? I won't see him now until he gets back in March, by which time I will be about 15 weeks and probably showing a bit. The awkward thing is, I told my supervisor yesterday, anticipating that I would tell my boss shortly after, but obviously didn't, and they are best of friends so now I am concerned that he will let it slip to my boss. Obviously that looks really bad, finding out from someone else, but I know it will happen, I can see it coming. Worse still, my boss gave me a pay rise last week, really praising me, and even joked about me never leaving them - how guilty do I feel now?!! Do I just let my supervisor slip it out or do you think I should ring/text him while he is on holiday? AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!

I told my boss at 8 weeks, this week! I wanted him to know why I wont be working overtime (we dont get paid for it anyway) and why I'm tired/feeling sick.

I can't wait to tell everyone though!

I just told my boss on Monday (I'm nearly 7 weeks). I didn't intend telling him until after the dating scan due to early m/c previously. However, he was starting to plan for next academic year and I know I won't be there so felt really guilty as he's always helping me out offering extra hours etc so felt obliged to spill the beans.

He was really good about it and supportive and he agreed not to tell HR until after the dating scan and a merger we are undergoing is completed.

Overall, I think you'll know when to tell your boss as you know them better than we do and may be able to anticipate what reaction you may get.

Good Luck :)

I am telling mine on tuesday, and am dreading it. My boss is really nice but I know he is shaping alot of our future services around the fact that I will be in London to manage these services! I had to sit in a board meeting this week and hear these plans described. I felt really uncomfortable and disloyal. I will feel much better when it is all out in the open. I think he must be concerned that something is wrong as I have had to have doctors appointments and sick recently and I never take time off.

I told my line manager when I was 7 weeks cos I wanted the paid time off for my 8 weeks mw appt :wink: as of monday though I have a new line manager who doesn't know - she will be shocked when I tell her that I am PG cos she has asked me to line manage extra people :D

I haven't told anybody else yet - waiting till after my scan. My mum said that they must know because I have a tummy on me now - spending my days wearing baggy cardigans :D has anybody else found that the bump appears quicker second time round?

Good luck to you all who are telling work soon - you'll be fine.

Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back