Tips on telling work? how did your boss react? x

ams25

Reaction score
Morning my lovelies! Hope you don't mind me still being here, I suppose I am tri2 now but my scan isn't until tomorrow so I'm a bit scared to go over to 'big school' just yet! I will go tomorrow if fingers crossed everything is okay (I'm really scared, please keep fingers crossed for us!)

So tomorrow I am going to have to tell work about the baba. I am absolutely dreading telling them as I've only been there 9 months (6 when I got pregnant) and I'm sure they think I am really career-orientated, so they won't be expecting this at all. I work for a firm of solicitors and to be honest some of the partners are a bit outdated in their attitudes (one of my colleagues has just had a baby, and the other day my boss was talking about how busy we are with people on 'bloody maternity leave'.) I am just really nervous about telling them! I know legally they can't say anything except 'congratulations' but I know behind closed doors they won't be happy. There is talk of me being moved to a different role which I really want, and I'm sure they will find an excuse not to do it now. Plus I am not sure exactly who I should tell... There are 4 partners who are all my bosses, do I have to tell them all separately or will just 1 do? 3 of them are lovely, 1 not so lovely! Plus its hard to get them on their own without all the office-gossip secretaries earwigging and listening in!

I know I will just have to bite the bullet and come straight out with it... Just wondered what your experiences of telling work are, and if anyone had any tips?

Xxx

Pick one of the nice ones and ask him/her if you can have a quick word in private so the gossipers can't hear you!

i am in a similar situation work with all blokes and there is only 4 females all off which have grown up kids or don't intent to have any i will be the first with in the company to go on Maternity! my Boss hates the blokes having 2 weeks off paternity not sure how he will react to me having 6-9months off and to even get him on his oven with out he nosey biatch of a pa is a mission on its own!! (but the week of my scan she is on holiday so timed that well lol)
also there is nothing in our hand book for guidance on maternity either.

hope it goes okay! x

I've been at my place for 10 years and I'll be just the second woman in that time to go on maternity leave :shock:

We're a mainly male company and the women I do work with are either childless or have older kids....

I cannot wait to see my Managers face LOL!

I have already told one work friend though, she knows about all the other pregnancies as well!!

With your situation OP I would just bite the bullet and get it over with, there is no sense worrying or stressing about it?

Good luck!

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
just tell one of the nice ones in private it will b fine x

CatNat i can not wait to see my MDs face!!
and the fact word would have spread by the time his PA is back is even better as i cant stand her.

Is there any need for you to tell them right away? Legally i think it's weeks and weeks away before you have to. Is there any chance you might land the plum role before then?

Xx

Agree with tinsel, what's the rush to tell them? I'd wait x

When do you have to tell work?

xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks everyone, I knew you would calm me down! I know its silly to be getting in a flap about it. If I had been there a bit longer it wouldn't be so bad, think I just feel a bit guilty about going on mat leave which is stupid of me! Just going to pick my favourite boss who is nice and has young kids of his own, so hopefully he will be understanding. Then he can spread the word to the others! My scans at 9am and I have to go back to work after it so will just go for it as early as possible I think!

Cosmic and tinsel - I would love to try and keep it a secret a while longer, but I know the sister of one of my bosses and so once I tell my family and friends then she is bound to find out and mention it to my boss. I would rather they hear it from me than from people gossiping. I think it is about 26 weeks that you legally have to tell them isn't it? I would defo be keeping quiet a lot longer if I could! I am just thinking a baby is a million times more important to me than any promotion, so if I don't get the new role then I will still have our gorgeous baba which more than makes up for it :D

Shorty - sorry to hear you're worrying about it too! And carnat, it will certainly be interesting to see what reaction you get! Xx

id tell them sooner the better for your own peice of mind and a weight liftied off your shoulders.
I had just started my new job when i found out and told them at 14 weeks and they were great about it.
and its week 25 your legally obliged to tell them by xxx

I had to tell my boss pretty much straight away because of working with x-rays. Was a bit worried but to be honest he was the most excited about the news out of everyone I've told so far! I got hugged. Was really nice.

So it'll probably all be fine, is what I'm trying to say.

Ahh that makes sense ams

Hope your scan goes well tomorrow and your nice boss gives you the congratulations you deserve xx

I agree with the other ladies, pick the nice boss and get him on his own. There is nothing they can do and if they don't like it well errr.....tough!! Good luck!

I'd go for the picking the nicest one, or at least the most understanding one. They might be able to advise you about how to go about things with the others.

I felt awful telling my boss, as I know she really wants a baby herself, and another woman on our team will be going on maternity leave about three months before me.

xx

hi, ive told my care-co that im excepting and she was fine, explained past history and asked to wait till im 12wks before they do a risk assessment on me, tbh i think i may have to drop my hrs, currently doing between 40-50 per wk, and think im better off doing about 20-25hrs instead and no bed calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back