When are you all planning to start to give your babies water?

lrb

Reaction score
Really unsure u hear so many different things, suppose it depends on baby too ut surely the sooner the better... Was thinking around 3 months but wondered what u all thought on that??

We started giving Savannah water pretty much straight away. Not a lot to start with just a few sips to moisten her mouth. Then a little more if she wanted it.

I think as long as they are taking the bottle ok (if you are formula feeding) and the water isn't replacing or lessening their milk intake then its fine to give them some. this is what the mw told us.

Hope all mums to be are ok!

I offered cooled boiled water to our girls from day 1 hunni only a very small amount, as both were formula fed, i did this cos of my mums advice, she said to me the formula feeds them but doesnt give them a "drink" iyswim, so ill do the same with this lo

xxx

I was told while in milk they don't need water as the water hydrates them. X

Gave my son a little bit in the hot weather when I thought he was taking milk for thirst more than hunger. So I guess 3 months. Don't think it's very important for them to have it. I'll be breastfeeding this time so won't need to give any water.

Don't they advise this if baby is constipated?

I offered cooled boiled water to our girls from day 1 hunni only a very small amount, as both were formula fed, i did this cos of my mums advice, she said to me the formula feeds them but doesnt give them a "drink" iyswim, so ill do the same with this lo

xxx

Yeah would be cooled boiled water, would you offer them water from day one if they were great fed or just formula? X

If babies are ff then water is ok for a small drink it's also good for constipation and hiccups I did after 4 weeks xx

I thought that breast fed babies didn't need water to start - something to do with breast milk coming in different levels - so if they're thirsty they'll only feed for a short time, if hungry they need to feed for longer to get the 'full' milk. To give a bf baby water you'd need to introduce a bottle, and not folk say not to do that right away in case on confusion.

Where as formula is the same consistency throughout the feed and so isn't thirst quenching.

Xxx

I give Alfie water if hes not had a poo and it works. Its good and he enjoys a little bit x

Breastfed babies don't need water as the watery fore milk is their drink. However it's still fine to give them additional water if u want. I started giving it to baby after 3 weeks due to constipation caused by Gaviscon x

My mum said that i loved water more than anything when i was a baby - i was BF but she gave me water in a bottle, i suppose its only like expressing you need to give a bottle.

I plan to express too so shouldn't be confusion with bottle, well hopefully not lol! I know my mum bf and I used to guzzle water down so much they thought I was diabetic, so I suppose it depends on the baby, I'd like to try it but I suppose it all depends if I can breast feed! If I can I'll try a little bit but if I'm ff I'll deffo give her water!

Thanks for all your replies! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back