What are you wearing to give birth in?

tania

Reaction score
Hi all

Just started thinking that I should really pack a hospital bag just in case and wondered what to put in for wearing while giving birth? Had originally thought I would just buy a big cheap t-shirt nightie thing from Primark or somewhere and just chuck it out afterwards, but am wondering if non-maternity ones will be too tight and uncomfy - not that my bump is that big yet but it could still expand in the next 7 weeks! What is everyone else planning to do? Don't want to spend much money on anything but want to be comfy. Also am hoping for waterbirth if the pool at the hospital is free so will stick in a bikini top for that I think, but want a back up incase can't do it in water for whatever reason!

T x

With my daughter I wore what I arrived at the hospital in and with my son I gave birth naked cos I was so hot! For both I did plan on wearing my nighty but my labours were to quick to change into it.

I've got an old nightshirt,I gave birth in a nightshirt eachtime and didn't find them too tight xx

I bought a lovely nightie in Peacocks, a good length in case I want to move about, and a V neck with buttons so that I can put baby in there for skin-to-skin.
Knowing me I'll just end up in the nip though!

I also have no idea....but prob something with buttons on the front for when he or she is born....mmmmm something to think about x

I just bought 3 nighties with buttons on from primark a few sizes too big so I can use them in labour, if I have a water birth Just gonna be in a bra, or if I'm too hot naked it is! Lol. Got a lightweight dressing gown, disposable knickers and some cheap knickers for afterwards and about 20 maternity pads lol x

I bought a non-maternity cheap nightie from Matalan with buttons down the top. Ended up giving birth in the t-shirt I had gone in wearing 17 hours earlier.

just a cheap nightie from tesco but will probably end up with it off

I am hoping for a waterbirth at home in which case I am assuming I will be naked in the pool, especially as I want skin to skin immediately after the birth.

i just wore an old t shirt and ws naked from the waist down...however i used LOADS of maternity pads (tmi) but i just saturated them....at one point iwas having to wear three at a time :O

ive bought some nighties to labour in just bought 2 sizes up from what i normally wear and they very loose!! they got buttons down front for skin to skin with baby and they only cost me each £6 from peacocks. also bought lightweight dressing gown and some cheap pants - also disposable pants like flexi said. ive bought some pyjamas for afterwards as i dont normally wear anything for bed!! xx

I just wore a normal nightie x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mum got me a selection of cheap nighties from primark. Seriously don't spend too much money on something because it is just going to end up literally full of blood, sweat and tears.

I bought a strappy nightie to give birth in because I get very hot and a t-shirt/nightie would be restricting for me! and then a nightshirt with buttons on for afterwards - I will also pack a bikini top incase I am lucky enough to get the water birth I would like!

I wore a vest! Though I didn't really have much choice as I was rushed in wearing my pjs and then everything happened so fast that I only had time to take bottoms off! I'm glad it was only a vest, I was that hot if I'd worn anything else I probably wouldve passed out! Don't spend too much or buy anything too nice cause it really will get wrecked, cheap but comfortable is what you want to aim for :) x

I was thinking about the same thing today, what I should pack for wearing for the labour and wasnt sure either, I have it in my birth plan asking about the birthing pool first and if that isnt working then labour in a bed. So should I just pack a nightie and a bikini top for the labour and a normal pair of pj's for afterwards?

I'm still not entirely sure what all to pack, i've had a pm about what someone else is taking but I keep forgetting what they wrote lol and keep panicking thinking I dont have everything I need and that i'll be packing too much. I'm so confused lol

Last edited:
Thanks all - sounds like my original thought of a big cheap t-shirt/nightie thing is the way forwards x

I brought 3 nighties. Two cheap long ones from primark (front opening)
Even tho I'm a size 10/12 normally I've ballooned to a 14 so I got 14/16 for space n comfort in labour n I brought one nice pink one from la senza for if I have to stay in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back