Are You Planning To Breastfeed?

dannii87

Reaction score
Hi ladies!! Hope you're all ok and preparing for the arrivals of your LOs!! :cheer:

I just wanted to post something in here because I think it's really important to hear the facts and information about breastfeeding.

I breastfed for 5.5 weeks with a whole LOAD of stupid blinkin' problems along the way! Tongue tie, latching problems, milk supply issues (too much and then too little :roll: ) the list is endless!

Although I knew that breastfeeding could be a bit painful at first, I was never prepared for how bad it was going to be! I wanted to point anyone who is looking to breastfeed in the direction of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=95582 It might also be handy for anyone planning to bottlefeed, in fact, it'll be useful to most of you!

It's an interesting read if nothing else! And I know you ladies on maternity leave have nothing better to do than watch Jezza and browse the forum desperately searching for any new posts! :wink: (No? :think: Just me then! :oops: :lol: )

Oh and also, it's important to know this NOW and not when you return home with your babies, because it's often too late, but BABIES ONLY NEED 5ml OF COLOSTRUM IN THE FIRST 24-48 HOURS! DON'T FORGET, BABIES ARE ALSO TRAUMATISED AFTER BIRTH AND MAY BE EXHAUSTED FROM THEIR TRAVELS DOWN THE VAGINAL CANAL ) :lol: ) SO DON'T THINK YOUR BODY ISN'T DOING ANYTHING!

So, if you WANT to breastfeed and don't want to give in easily, your LO will not need to be topped up with formula during this time :D

I just thought that piece of advice would be handy for you to be armed with when you arrive in labour at your hospital (or if you have a homebirth :) )

(PS, note to any overdue babies, COME OUT!! :pray: )

Oh and please, please, please utilise the lovely ladies on this forum in the Nutrition section of "Parenting" on the forum. I'm pretty sure there'll always be someone on hand for a speedy reply with your worries and concerns (should you have any) about feeding your LOs.

I just wanted to stress how handy the Mummies are on here... :hug: xx

Thanks for the advice Dannii and for pointing out the other post :hug: So good of you to come back and think of us in here after all you've been through yourself.

Hope you are well and enjoying life with little Evie!

All the best,

Sarah x

Hi Danni,

I haven't really had much contact with you as we were in different trimesters, but the experiences you've had with breastfeeding sound so similar to the ones i had with my 1st. I vowed never to feed again I was so traumatised by the whole thing, I got zero help from midwife who said at the end of week 2 'get to boots, buy bottles and formula for goodness sake!' and very little help from anyone else either.
If I hadn't had a long gap between babies i wouldn't have breastfed, but I really wanted to prove to myself that I could.
It seems like you've got a positive attitude which is great, and if you have more children in the future I hope you can get to experience stress free breastfeeding, it's not the be-all-end all of course, but there's no feeling like it when it goes well. it puts you on a natural high which is just what you need when you've been through childbirth and sleep deprivation.
Other mum's are often the best people to talk to as they're going/have been through exactly the same as you, usually far more recently than professionals too. It's always comforting to know you're not alone, and that's the best thing about places like this.

Good luck with everything else your princess has in store for you, I wish I'd had somewhere like this on my 1st. :hug:

:hug: Dannii you never fail to amaze me, with how nice you are!!

hope ur doing well hun, thanks for info,. and your right, i'm browsing this site and watching Jezza as we speak lol xxx

Awww Dannii your always such a sweetie! :hug:
Hope your ok hun!?

Please dont make me go back to that 21 page debate Danni! lol..its far too hormonal for me! :)

I was actually thinking of you last night and the colostrum thing you mentioned as i think i probably would have worried baby wasnt getting enough aswell. Remembering back to my breastfeeding session, i think they did mention it but they mentioned so much it ended up going in one ear and out the other. I was actually going to post a few questions today so here goes..

1. When you very first start breastfeeding do you put the baby on one boob and feed? The next time they want feeding do you switch to the other? I know that when the milk comes in you have to empty one breast so the baby gets the hind milk before going to the next, is it the same with colostrum?

2. When the breast milk comes in, it sounds like its quite painful..do you just try and get baby to feed or is it best to try and express some by hand to relieve the pain?

3. Do you start using the nipple cream as soon as you feel a bit sore?

4. Do you have to wash the boob before you put baby on it each time?

5. I have a breastfeeding cushion.. is it best to use this both at night and during the day? Ive noticed some people say about the rugby position. Is this better for nightime?

6. If i get to day 4 and my milk hasnt come in and baby is cconstantly crying what do i do? surely the tiny bit of colustrum at that point isnt enough? I have already sterilised bottles (in packets) and one carton of ready formula.. would it be silly to give this?

7. Whos the best person to get help from? NCT breastfeeing counsellers or the health visitor?

I think thats it for now...bet you wish you hadnt offered your services now! lol

Claire x

I've been following that huge thread with interest :D I didn't know about the 5ml colostrum thingy & I don't know what its not publicised :think:

Thanks to Dannii for highlighting this thread, your a star as aways :hug:

Also great points raised by Nori, I'd be interested to hear the responses too :D

I hope you don't mind me giving my answers too nori!

1. When you very first start breastfeeding do you put the baby on one boob and feed? The next time they want feeding do you switch to the other? I know that when the milk comes in you have to empty one breast so the baby gets the hind milk before going to the next, is it the same with colostrum?
Yes, I fed from one breast for the first feed then for the next from the other breast a few hours later, newborns are very sleepy! I don't think there's 'hind colostrum' as such, but it helps you get in a good routine for when your milk does come in. I found it helpful to wear a funky hair clasp on my next boob's bra strap to remind me which boob to feed from next!

2. When the breast milk comes in, it sounds like its quite painful..do you just try and get baby to feed or is it best to try and express some by hand to relieve the pain?
Mine wasn't really that painful, just heaviness really. I fed straight from the boob but everyone's different, you'll soon find what works for you/if you have a fast letdown etc.

Yes, Lanisoh is your friend! Stock up now!

No, even if you use Lanisoh (not sure about other nipple creams)

5. I have a breastfeeding cushion.. is it best to use this both at night and during the day? Ive noticed some people say about the rugby position. Is this better for nightime?
When DD was a newborn, I used a breastfeeding cushion night and day for the first few months. I also used to co-sleep a bit during the night. When my nipples were sore in the early days I swopped to the rugby position during the day but didn't really get to grips with it, much preferred tummy-to-tummy.

6. If i get to day 4 and my milk hasnt come in and baby is cconstantly crying what do i do? surely the tiny bit of colustrum at that point isnt enough? I have already sterilised bottles (in packets) and one carton of ready formula.. would it be silly to give this?
In my opinion, yes. It is unlikely baby will starve and I think that this is a dangerous road to go down so early on as it really won't help your milk to come in or your milk supply to build up. Keep the baby on the boob, this will help to stimulate your milk. Day 4 is very early to look at weight loss/gain (I think its slightly defeatist to worry too much about weight loss/gain at 4 days old unless drops below 10% of birth weight of course) Colostrum is all a newborn baby needs for the first 7-10 days, believe it or not. If baby is crying, keep baby on boob as much as possible and invest in a sling.

7. Whos the best person to get help from? NCT breastfeeing counsellers or the health visitor?
I found my midwives (I had a home birth then the daily home visits for a week or so) the most helpful for latching help and general reassurance. I used a local NCT breastfeeding counsellor via email but this was later on (4-6 weeks) and for help with expressing/storage of milk etc. My HV was supportive but not practically so, but may well have been if I'd needed her help/advice.

I hope this helps!

Valentine Xxx

1. When you very first start breastfeeding do you put the baby on one boob and feed? The next time they want feeding do you switch to the other? I know that when the milk comes in you have to empty one breast so the baby gets the hind milk before going to the next, is it the same with colostrum? I found that feeding off one boob per feed was best for me. I used to switch in the early days and i ended up being engorged and in pain.

2. When the breast milk comes in, it sounds like its quite painful..do you just try and get baby to feed or is it best to try and express some by hand to relieve the pain? I didn't have a breastpump in the early days, so i just got baby to feed for relief, but not forget about the other boob.

3. Do you start using the nipple cream as soon as you feel a bit sore? Yes. I never knew about any cream. In my first mw visit she gave me a couple of sachets. Worked wonders.

4. Do you have to wash the boob before you put baby on it each time? Nope. Just flop boob out and stick baby on. Easy.

5. I have a breastfeeding cushion.. is it best to use this both at night and during the day? Ive noticed some people say about the rugby position. Is this better for nightime? I kept mine upstairs. I had settee cushions for downstairs. I was never shown the ruby hold so i can't offer advice on that one.

6. If i get to day 4 and my milk hasnt come in and baby is cconstantly crying what do i do? surely the tiny bit of colustrum at that point isnt enough? I have already sterilised bottles (in packets) and one carton of ready formula.. would it be silly to give this? Just keep baby on the boob. As and when baby's hungry your body will provide. You can go upto 7 days without your milk coming in. Your baby shouldn't starve, so don't panic.

7. Whos the best person to get help from? NCT breastfeeing counsellers or the health visitor? I've only had experience with midwives and health visitors. They are there for help so don't be afraid to use them. They won't let your baby go hungry. Ask as many questions as possible to put your mind at rest.

Hope that's of some help for you.

I feel a bit of a fraud answering these Qs since I only managed 5.5 weeks :oops: but here goes;

I found she never really emptied the boob fully so one feed she'd go on the left til she was full and the next feed was on the right.

Mine wasn't painful at all, but after about 3 days of my milk coming in it seemed I'd made too much and became a bit engorged! My body had to adjust to what Evie needed though, so I guess this is what some women mean when they say it hurts when their milk comes in.

Yes!!! Definitely!!! I left mine for a while thinking they'd toughen up but once they were cracked and blistered there was no going back!! (I have some Lansinoh if you want me to send you it? It's bloody expensive so I'd be happy to send it by post free if you want to PM me your address?)

Nope, I didn't anyway!

At night I'd just cradle her at my boob so didn't use a pillow, during the day I'd only use the pillow at the rugby position.

My milk came in day 5, and she managed on colostrum alone til then :)

My HV was best. The MW couldn't really care less how I fed Evie, as long as she was fed!

Thanks ladies!! Its all a bit clearer now! Just another two questions:

1. how long do you nipples take to hurt (should i take my cream to hospital)?

2. What are these "after pains" i keep hearing being mentioned?

Theres a high risk of my crohns flaring after the baby is born so may not be able to breastfeed for too long if i go on stronger medication but will keep going for as long as i can!

Oh and thanks for the offer of the cream Danni, is it something you will use tubes of or does it last for a while? The reason im asking is i have just bought some today so dont want to be greedy if there is someone else that needs it.

Claire x

nori said:
Thanks ladies!! Its all a bit clearer now! Just another two questions:

2. What are these "after pains" i keep hearing being mentioned?

Theres a high risk of my crohns flaring after the baby is born so may not be able to breastfeed for too long if i go on stronger medication but will keep going for as long as i can!

Oh and thanks for the offer of the cream Danni, is it something you will use tubes of or does it last for a while? The reason im asking is i have just bought some today so dont want to be greedy if there is someone else that needs it.

Claire x

My nipples took 2 or 3 days before they started to hurt.

The after pains are when your uterus contracts back to it's original size. It hurts more when breastfeeding, but it gets there quicker. It fees like a painful period sometimes.

Yeah it lasts a fair while, that's really sweet & honest of you though sweetie - I don't mind sending it though if you'd like :)

My nipples took about 2 days to hurt. I didn't experience ANY after pains. In fact, I didn't even really feel my uterus contract! x

nori said:

All I can say is Lansinoh, Lansinoh, Lansinoh :lol: THE best buy ever, if I never bought anything else, I'd be happy with just Lansinoh :lol:

The midwife told me off for having slathered it on, cos baby wouldn't like it. TBH, because I actually put Lansinoh on before the first feed I ever had with LO (I had to wait 4 hours before I could feed him :evil: ) it was all he ever knew and it was fine. Anyway, I'd use it before you feel sore, that's what I did and it worked for me :D

I know I don't belong in here ;) but the title of the thread caught my eye. I read the huge thread in the other forum and it terrified me. I ended up in tears thinking there's no way Ican do that. Admittedly I didn't make it to the end of the thread.

I just want to say thank you, I feel a lot better after reading this. Straight questions and answers put my mind at rest.

If I worry this much now what am I going to be like later? :D

Potbelijo said:
I read the huge thread in the other forum and it terrified me. I ended up in tears thinking there's no way Ican do that. Admittedly I didn't make it to the end of the thread.

Oh hun, you can do it, please don't think that. I am one of the really lucky ones who breastfeeding came very easily to, very few problems along the way, baby and I took to it so quickly and I breastfed her exclusively (no formula) for a whole year! Even if you do have problems, then it is possible to work through them with some grit and determination - it's quite rare for there to actually be a medical reason why someone can't breastfeed.

I promise the thread and all the people contributing to it did not intend women who were pregnant to be scared or in tears at the thought of it. Its a very emotive issue for obvious reasons, but the support is here on the forum in spades and I'll bet all around you at home. One of the most important things you can do in preparation, is not just prepare for labour and birth, but to also prepare to breastfeed by reading up on it, asking questions, write in your birth plan you want skin-to-skin contact straight after birth and help with breastfeeding (this is what I did) and vitally make sure you know what support there is locally for you (breastfeeding cafes, supportive health visitors, numbers for local breastfeeding support workers etc) as well as arming yourself with cushions, breast pads, Lanisoh cream, new bras etc.

I would also really advise making sure everyone you are close to, particularly your partner/husband, but also Mum, MIL, siblings, friends etc know how important it is to you and how much support you'd like to get through any hurdles you encounter.

Please don't worry, that thread was quite negative about people's experiences, but there are loads and loads of breastfeeders out there and we're all here for you. Do you have any friends/Mum/MIL/sisters who breastfed that you can ask for help or advice now and/or when the time comes?

:hug:

Valentine Xxx

Valentine, you said everything I wanted to say, but couldn't really put into words. I'm not the most articulate person at the best of times! I'd agree with all of that, I think it's silly how my midwife told me "breast is best" at one of my appts, and gave me a leaflet - and that was it. Fortunately, I had the support of friends, this forum, and the NCT BF counsellor. Potbelijo, I'd really prepare yourself like Valentine suggested - it IS difficult, but it's not impossible, and it's worth it when it gets going. It took me 3 weeks to really get it established - which feels like a lifetime when you have a LO - but with support, of family, friends and this forum - you CAN do it. Please don't get yourself down about it, get prepared and get support and look forward to it, it's really worth it :hug:

You know these forums really have helped me so much. I'm pretty isolated due to years of depression but coming here really picks me up. My friend had twins a few years ago and couldn't breast feed as one of the just girls wouldn't have it.

My Mam bottle fed as breast feeding wasn't really the thing to do back then. Buy my heart is set on trying :)

:hug:

Potbelijo said:
My Mam bottle fed as breast feeding wasn't really the thing to do back then. Buy my heart is set on trying :)

And that's 100% the most important thing. You need determination and willpower by the bucketload. I know you can do it.

Valentine Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back