Are You Planning To Breastfeed?

The only reason i breastfed was coz my OH made me try. I had NO other encouragement from anyone. As long as you have the backing from your OH that's all you need to spur you on. I made sure my birthplan stated skin-to-skin immediately after birth and also that i wanted to give it a go.
I never read up on it and i wasn't on the forum at the time so i had no idea what i was letting myself in for. But i made sure any queries after were asked, my mw's were quite good. I'm still going strong now!!!
You can do it. And once you get started you'll be an expert. My mum asked me to quit at 2 months, and my bottlefeeding sister tells me i'm doing things wrong, so i ask here and get told i'm doing my job as i should.

There are so many people here to help. You'll enjoy it too once you've mastered it.

dannii87 said:
Hi ladies!! Hope you're all ok and preparing for the arrivals of your LOs!! :cheer:

I just wanted to post something in here because I think it's really important to hear the facts and information about breastfeeding.

I breastfed for 5.5 weeks with a whole LOAD of stupid blinkin' problems along the way! Tongue tie, latching problems, milk supply issues (too much and then too little :roll: ) the list is endless!

Although I knew that breastfeeding could be a bit painful at first, I was never prepared for how bad it was going to be! I wanted to point anyone who is looking to breastfeed in the direction of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=95582 It might also be handy for anyone planning to bottlefeed, in fact, it'll be useful to most of you!

It's an interesting read if nothing else! And I know you ladies on maternity leave have nothing better to do than watch Jezza and browse the forum desperately searching for any new posts! :wink: (No? :think: Just me then! :oops: :lol: )

Oh and also, it's important to know this NOW and not when you return home with your babies, because it's often too late, but BABIES ONLY NEED 5ml OF COLOSTRUM IN THE FIRST 24-48 HOURS! DON'T FORGET, BABIES ARE ALSO TRAUMATISED AFTER BIRTH AND MAY BE EXHAUSTED FROM THEIR TRAVELS DOWN THE VAGINAL CANAL ) :lol: ) SO DON'T THINK YOUR BODY ISN'T DOING ANYTHING!

So, if you WANT to breastfeed and don't want to give in easily, your LO will not need to be topped up with formula during this time :D

I just thought that piece of advice would be handy for you to be armed with when you arrive in labour at your hospital (or if you have a homebirth :) )

(PS, note to any overdue babies, COME OUT!! :pray: )

Dannii why was you not here when i had my DD ?? i cried and cried because it hurt my stomach and i thought i wasnt giving her enough milk through breastfeeding i have promised myself this time i WILL do it i wish i stuck at it but noone would help me or give me any info :( i feel like i have really let my DD down and that its my fault shes so tiny (30lbs, turning three on Sunday) but she is healthy and happy i just feel like i should have tried harder but at the time i was on my own really and had no support. as i was on the ward after birth i rang and rang for help and they just shoved me off and bought me ready made bottles :evil: at this point i was sooo upset that my boobs were cracking and engorged and that i couldnt see what she was actually getting from me iykwim?? i have now prepared myself with a reclining rocking chair in babys room with foot stool i have breast pads, nursing bra, cream, breast pump with all the adapters for storing breastmilk, feeding pillow, breast-like bottle for when were going out for breastfeeding mums if i need them. i really wished i had this last time as the MW just shoved formula on me and i had no ideas about breast pumps. i just have a question, probably silly, but who (what age child) benefits from breastmilk? like if i was to express my three year old a few cups a day would it be any good for her too?? :oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back