What nursery furniture are you having?

leesey

Reaction score
We haven't bought a nursery set of furniture, as I've been picking up bargains as we go along. I originally bought a crib as I thought we'd be tight for space (we lived in a one bed flat at the time) but now we've moved house I bought a cot too but it matches the crib so I was happy having both of them in the baby's room and just using the crib for the first few months.

Unfortunately, because both the crib and cot are mamas and papas, the matching nursery furniture is extortionate. I really don't want to spend an absolute fortune on matching furniture when I really don't think it's entirely necessary. I got the crib and the cot for a grand total of £55 (ebay and gumtree!) so it seems ridiculous to spend hundreds on matching furniture, defeats the purpose of getting bargains.

So as much as I don't want mismatched furniture, I want to know exactly what to look for. What is everyone using for storage? A big wardrobe seems excessive, but I'd like to hang things up, is there anything else I can use? A big chest of drawers should do for most of the clothes surely, or am I being naive? I have a changing station/bath combo with storage for cleaning and changing products, so really it will just be clothes I need storage for? Linen can be kept elsewhere in the house surely.

It's silly I'm getting so preoccupied with this just now, I had just hoped to get most things organised while I'm on holiday for a fortnight, as I don't want to be spending money when I'm on maternity. Next month will be my last real pay before I go on leave! Scary stuff.

Would appreciate any and all advice xx

Hi! That's an amazing bargain! In my spare room which will be baby's room we have been given lovely furniture from
Tesco from my sister who's moving house. It's not nursery furniture, just general bedroom furniture. I don't see the point spending alot of money on baby furniture as I know in a fee years I will want to turn the room into a toddlers bedroom and would want proper furniture. My cot is a light wood and te furniture is white... I don't mind it not matching.xxx

Yeah I don't mind it not matching 100%, it's just that all our other furniture is dark brown and modern, whereas the cot and crib are both in a natural wood colour and kind of traditional looking.
I'll maybe see if my mum and dad have anything to match, I'm having no luck on gumtree at all! xx

We have to move before we can have a nursey :shock:

We currently have a very big one bed with plenty of space and we'll have bub in with us for first year anyway.

Although we're already putting the wheels in motion to be able to afford a bigger place :shock:

xxxxxxxxxxx

A wardrobe is better than you think for a baby or toddler can't you keep your eye out fr matching pieces on gumtree, preloved and eBay!!!! Or what about a mamas and papas outlet place look up baby direct Essex they do cheaper mamas and papas furniture!!!

the only thing i want is a glider rocking chair baba wil be in with me for first yr or so thats how i always do it plus i have no spare bedrooms for a nursery unless my dd moves out b4 baba comes but i think thats highly unlikely lol so i will just use my walk in wardrobe for babas stuff xxxx

We bought our wardrobe and chest of drawers from Argos. Our cot is white so we bought a white wardrobe and chest of drawers which aren't part of a set with the cot but they still look gorgeous, it really doesn't matter that they don't 100% match.

We decided on the wardrobe with drawers because we thought baby will eventually need one as the clothes get bigger. We are going to store the bedding in the drawers for the minute until baby has more clothes. We've got the baby grows and vests in the chest of drawers at the mo.

Didn't bother with the cot top changer or changing unit, I think we'll just use a changing mat on the floor!
We also have a gliding nursing chair which I think will be useful for night feeds as I'll be breast feeding.

We're going for Mamas and Papas - Rialto set with a wardrobe, chest of drawers and cot/bed. Was kinda hoping it'd be flat packed so I could watch oh build it (and get all emotional) but apparently they build it for you. OH's not complaining, though! xx

We have gone for a Mama's and Papa's cot bed and changing unit in White. I didn't want to spend too much but my parents wanted to but it for us. We have nit bought the wardrobe yet though as we have three big wardrobes on our house so I want to clear some room in them for LOs clothes that need to be hung. I dong want to have too much furniture in the nursery as it is our box room. Hubby bought a nursing chair for me too so that is all we will have in the nursery. The crib will be in our room x

I went crazy and bought a stunning cot/cot bed/bed/sofa from Simon horn in Chelsea, it's going to serve perfectly for baby no 2 (at £1350 my husband had a heart attack but I justified I wasn't buying anything else and that it's not going to end up in the attic, which it hasn't, my son is now 7 and it's a day bed in his room for mates ;) having been his bed til he was 5 - I can justify anything heehee!

A wardrobe is better than you think for a baby or toddler can't you keep your eye out fr matching pieces on gumtree, preloved and eBay!!!! Or what about a mamas and papas outlet place look up baby direct Essex they do cheaper mamas and papas furniture!!!

Already been looking on gumtree preloved and ebay, no luck so far but will be keeping my eye out. Been to mamas and papas outlet store in livingston (scotland) and to be honest didn't notice a huge discount in prices :(

I think we'll have moved again by the time they're a toddler (we're just renting just now, hoping to buy in a year or two) so I suppose anything that's not urgently required as a baby can just be bought when they're growing up.

Thanks everyone xx

Last edited:
I am going to have a totally deprived child!!! We are in a one bed flat for the first 9 months (we live in London - expensive!) so the baby won't have any furniture at all! (apart from a cot)

my genius plan is...

- clear out a big drawer and use these dividers to make little sections for tiny clothes:http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8167/Drawer-Organiser
- on one side of our double wardrobe we have shelves rather than a rail, and I am going to put some hooks into the underside of one of the shelves so I can hang little outfits up!
- whenever baby grows out of anything, wash it and either sell it/donate it or put it in a vacuum bag for storage

Sorry - not much help in terms of your situation but I don't think you need to go crazy with furniture as long as you are organised!! Wicker baskets might look nice and you could store lots of bits and pieces in there xxx

I am going to have a totally deprived child!!! We are in a one bed flat for the first 9 months (we live in London - expensive!) so the baby won't have any furniture at all! (apart from a cot)

my genius plan is...

- clear out a big drawer and use these dividers to make little sections for tiny clothes:http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8167/Drawer-Organiser
- on one side of our double wardrobe we have shelves rather than a rail, and I am going to put some hooks into the underside of one of the shelves so I can hang little outfits up!
- whenever baby grows out of anything, wash it and either sell it/donate it or put it in a vacuum bag for storage

Sorry - not much help in terms of your situation but I don't think you need to go crazy with furniture as long as you are organised!! Wicker baskets might look nice and you could store lots of bits and pieces in there xxx

Hooks is a good idea actually, might work that into the system if I can. I've just bought some wicker baskets which will go nicely I think xx

We went to Ikea last week and got a white triple size wardrobe for £79. It has rail on one side with 1 low level shelf. The other side has 5 shelves on which I am putting coloured storage cubes to keep things like bibs, socks, hats etc. It is full size and will hopefully do a few years. :) Also got a storage cube with 4 shelved sections and again coloured storage cubes. Our cot is being donated by one of my best friends. That's it for now. In near future I want a chair (have seen one in Ikea) and a white tv for the room - in preparation for night time feeds.

We have a cot that was my nephews but he hardly slept in it. We also went to Ikea a few weeks ago and bought bedroom furniture to match our existing stuff as we plan to move in a year or so and don't know what the next place will be like.
Xx

Baby will be sleeping in a drawer. LOL.
No seriously, I have never got the whole "got to spend £1000 on gorgeous nursery furniture"
It will have a cot, and a set of drawers we have already.

Baby will be sleeping in a drawer. LOL.
No seriously, I have never got the whole "got to spend £1000 on gorgeous nursery furniture"
It will have a cot, and a set of drawers we have already.

That's my point. I've spent £55 altogether on a cot and crib, and not wanting to spend a fortune on storage. I wouldn't dream of spending £1000 on furniture even if I could afford it.

We initially ordered this set -> clicky, from the same place we ordered the pram. But we actually cancelled the furniture on Saturday as the house we've moved into now has 2 rooms with fitted wardrobes - so as gorgeous as the set is, we didn't want to be spending a fortune on something that's not really going to be used. So instead we want this cot, and a white chest of drawers from Argos.

We got a mamas and papas cotbed in pine for AJ and went with grown up furniture in pine. I didnt see the point in buying a nursery set to replace it in a few years.

Just looking for a cot to match now as AJ is still using his cotbed as a bed.

Not having a fortune to spend on nursery furniture, I've given up on trying to have matching furniture! Our cot wa a steal from a friend- she sold us her mama and papas cot for £60 with mattress - from what I can tell the condition is immaculate :) and as we have a small room for our nursery we've decided not to get a wardrobe but to get a chest of draw unit that we can store babies clothes in, but it also folds out to become a baby changing table..... we bid on one on ebay and won it for 33£ - well worth the hour drive to collect - this is a photo of the same one from someone else's ebay listing (better photo) one is with the shelves on top and unit opened out- other is without shelves

The cot and dresser our slightly different colours of wood- but i figure baby certainly wound care and it hasn't cost me even £100 so can't complain

I'd love a nursing/rocking chair too- so keeping an eye out for a local one -

its an ikea one

xxxxx

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 12.37.46.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 12.37.46.png
    246.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 12.38.06.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-09 at 12.38.06.png
    258.2 KB · Views: 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online