What does it REALLY mean...

munchkin1982

Reaction score
So, while I was with the midwife yesterday she measured me etc and said that I was a couple of cm bigger than I should be. However, there was no concern or worry about this.

I am measuring 25cm at the moment. She didn't say what I was supposed to measure or go into much detail about it to be honest and now I wish i'd asked more instead of being in awe again of my princess's heartbeat!

One of my friends has said it could mean that I may have baby early?

Can any of you help?

Thanks in advance :) xx

Hey hun...nah it doesnt mean that at all. Some weeks the baby can measure bigger than others, and different midwives have different ways of measuring. Give it a few weeks and if they keep saying everytime that the baby is larger then i would have a chat with the midwife or a consultant to look at reasons and how it could affect the delivery. but trust me try not to worry about it too much hun xxx

thanks hun... think i'm having a funny 5 mins with excess worrying :roll: but just thought i'd ask! I know that I appear to have a rather "healthy and big" bump ;-) but I do hope there won't be any complications for delivery... xxx

tbh i'd pay little attention to it! basically, the amount of cm should be about the same as how many weeks you are, but it can be affected by allsorts, like who's measuring you, the way baby's lay and even if you need a wee! round here they dont measure you til about 28weeks i dont think! i measured small with both my two and had a 9lb12 baby and 8lb3 :lol: my consultant told me not to worry about measurements as they really arent accurate at all!

aaawww thanks hun :) - typical me - worrying about nothing again then ;-) xx

hiya, im 29 weeks +2 days and on my first measurement at 28 weeks they measured me at 30cm, but the midwife said it varies between everyone, it can be big baby or just those extra pounds.. there was no concern, so unless their worried you shouldnt worry yourself :) x

my midwife said that they dont measure until 28th / 30th weeks, so i dont know how big my bump is, i feel its big but might not be :-/

x

Pfft! Least yours measured! Mine put her hand on my tummy went "That feels about right" and then went onto the doppler.

oh dear.. maybe cause your not at 28 weeks yet, thats probably when they will measure, the midwife always feels my stomach, think she's feeling placenta and how your wombs growing inside x

aaawww Momma Kat! Sounds like your midwife is a right character! I was surprised that she measured so soon to be honest, but will not worry about it at all now.

I love this site :) You girls are great :) xx

I always measured small and liv was 7lb10oz when she was born so it doesn't mean alot lol. It depends on loads of things too like the amount of water you have in there and everything x

Last edited:
I always was said to be small for dates, and had 7lb 2, 6 lb 11oz d 5 lb 15 oz, at 38/39 weeks
so would be a good /normal size, don't think anything of it, bet she has a fabric strtchy overused tap measure anyway! With my last they gave me more scans later on to check, but were not concerned, she was a little smaller , but still all fine.

MommaKat , I have had a doppler to check HB at 17 weeks , but no one is remotely interested in looking at my tum, next appointment 28 weeks! very minimal this time round

Last edited:
I always was said to be small for dates, and had 7lb 2, 6 lb 11oz d 5 lb 15 oz, at 38/39 weeks
so would be a good /normal size, don't think anything of it, bet she has a fabric strtchy overused tap measure anyway! With my last they gave me more scans later on to check, but were not concerned, she was a little smaller , but still all fine.

MommaKat , I have had a doppler to check HB at 17 weeks , but no one is remotely interested in looking at my tum, next appointment 28 weeks! very minimal this time round

are you not goin at 25wks to get your healthy pregnancy forms filled in, there only valid between 25-30 wks, i was quite excited when she said its a "grant for all" so £190 is better in my pocket :)

x

Ignore what they say about sizes! I used to leave my m/w in tears when pregnant with Lacey because she was " measuring small" she said she wasn't growing properly and I'd prob have to be induced! Well Lacey came 2 days late and was 7lb 7oz and tall at 56cm. She wasn't small at all!!! This time their telling me little man's a week ahead of growth but I'm ignoring it after last time!

Never head of that amy, details? xD

my midwife is quite good with stuff like money, lol

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTa...ngupchildren/HealthinPregnancyGrant/DG_173502

that will tell ya about it, you can claim from 25weeks, anyone can claim, and its £190 tax free doesnt affect any benefits and is into ur bank after about 3 weeks, i got mine monday and sent it off so will keep ya posted when it comes, you can only claim up to 30weeks tho, so gona get it in there!!

xxx

google health in pregnancy grant kat! i thought you could claim it any time after 25 weeks! thats what i got told anyway!

I have an appt at 28 weeks, will bring it up then

I ended up getting my form at about 28 weeks cos my 25 week appt was when I was only 24 +2 (cos my mw is in doctors surgery only 2 days a week) and mw said she would save it till next time. My money came about 10 days later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back