What do you think about long distance relationship?

Very interesting.

I put Dont know.

I wudnt like to get into one myself, but you can say who your going to fall for can you! Seems like there would need to be trust and enough time spent together and things could be fine! I dont know!

I think they can work perfectly if the people involved are in LUUUURRRVE :D

My friend and her boyfriend have been together 3yrs, she lives in Aberdeen and he is the south side of Glasgow, each weekend they take turns to drive up or down the road for the 3hr drive.... and they are still both besotted with each other.

Plus... I know it is slightly different, as we are married... but Brian spends more that half the year thousands of miles away from me and Arianna and, if anything it has made our love stronger

SORRY LADIES CAN YOU RE-VOTE, I CHANGED THE POLL A BIT! THANX

I think it's a personal thing. It never worked for me and I don't think it would ever work for me because once I love someone I want to be close to them and be with them as much as possible. For some people it does work though!

Strangeness said:
I think it's a personal thing. It never worked for me and I don't think it would ever work for me because once I love someone I want to be close to them and be with them as much as possible. For some people it does work though!

I totally agree with you.You want to be close to the person, you want them by your side, I'm like that too. Not having them next to me would not make me happy. Even if there is love, trust, commitment etc. there will always be something missing, and that's the closeness and physical presence every relationship needs.

I voted for 'If there are plans to live together....'

My ex was from Manchester and I live in Essex. He would drive down to see me every weekend but it was like a 4-5 hour journey in the car and then he would leave again on the sunday night. We were together for 1.5 years but split up because neither of us were willing to move - he had a good job in Manchester and I was at college here studying for my A Levels.

I think they can work though, depending on what type of person you are and whether you can cope with that situation or not!

Before I moved to the UK the bloke and I were in a long distance relationship and in a way it was a good thing, as our relationship was forced to develop slowly and much more through conversations that way. After a year I moved over to live with him (with an initial trial period of 2 months) and I'm still here 3 and a half years later.

That said, it only works if you work hard on it. We talked on MSN almost every day when we were apart, there's no other way of getting to know each other properly.

The last relationship I had before the bloke also started as LDR and went downhill as soon as we moved in together, because we basically barely knew each other, so I wasn't aware what an arse the guy was.

I voted that I wouldn't but could understand :)

Never had a LDR but was 1000's of miles away from hubby for 2.5months when he had to renew his visa. It should have been longer (6months average) and so we were very lucky but I managed to get on with things because we spoke on the phone almost daily, sent letters...and I knew that he'd be back asap and if anything went wrong I was prepaired to move over there.

myself and the OH were in a LDR for a year before he moved up but we made the effort although we were young to see each other every month for a week sometimes 2 at a time (i was in glasgow he was in the midlands) but he moved up to live here just before we had been together a year and its been like that since

ive never personally been in a LDR but a friend of mine went over to dublin for a girly weekend and bagged herself an irish man, fast forward and countless airflights later. he has mved to manchester to be with her,
it soooo cute

I met my now DH in the August, we had all of 6 days together, I then came to Greece in the October for 10 days to see if there was anything there (we had talked and texted each other nearly every day in betwen), he then came to the UK for 2 weeks at xmas, (again txts every day and talking on phone probably 4 times a week), I then moved to Greece mid Feb. Now nearly 4 years later we are celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary in March, have a beautiful little girl and have just bought our own house. I do think they work but it does really depend on the individuals concerned.

I think they can work if both people are committed and make an effort. Obviously the shorter the distance the easier it is.

I met OH in an internet chat room in 2000. At the time I lived in Plymouth, him in cardiff. Then a few months after we met he moved to Cambridge and me to Canterbury. We had a long distance relationship for just over a year, seeing each other every weekend and then I moved to cambridge to live with him :D

We've been together for over 8 and a half years now, engaged for almost 5, have 2 kids and we're getting married in June :)

my OH is from glasgow and im from liverpool, we met at a music festival. We emailed and spoke on the phone everyday. Every few weeks one of us would visit the other... then finally 6 months later, i moved to glasgow :D Fast forward a few years, we both now live in l'pool.

I voted for the one where you have plans to live together later on lol.

I def think it can if you are commited and have trust.

OH's dad has been married to a lovely lady for 15 years. For the majority of that time he has worked overseas from USA, Hong Kong, Japan, all over! He currently live in Bahrain. They see as much of each other as they can, but its worked for many years :D

Misslarue said:

Ok, I hear you! :hug:
But do you think relationships are only made of trust and commitment? How about the physical touch, the closeness you're supposed to share with your partner? It must be so hard not having that on a daily bais!

i met brian on a chat forum like this but about cars lol 11 months into the relationship it was make or break and i moved to london , it wasnt easy by no means and nore was then being together all the time after seeing each other every other week but we've got through all that , been married 2.5 years and of cause have little leland !

laetitia85 said:
Misslarue said:

But do you think relationships are only made of trust and commitment? How about the physical touch, the closeness you're supposed to share with your partner? It must be so hard not having that on a daily bais!

Yes but you can have that closeness with someone, maybe not the physical side, but I had more attention and affection from my DH (when we were living apart) on a daily basis through texts and phonecalls then I ever had with my ex and I lived with him! I personally think for us that it made us much stronger to start with and made us appreciate each other a lot more now we are together. but as Gem says it was difficult at first suddenly being with each other all the time instead of just a few days every couple months! but I wouldnt have done it any other way!

laetitia85 said:
Misslarue said:

Well yes, but the physical touch can be mistaken for a sound basis and people only notice when the initial shag-happy phase is over, that the relationship is not that great. If you don't get the physical aspect often you have to rely on being close through words and you're not distracted by the body, so it in a way helps the relationship grow. Also you keep getting the excitement of looking forward to the next physical meeting and it stays 'special' much longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back