What defines you?

glitzyglamgirl

Reaction score
Is it your job? Your family? Your music/fashion tastes?

Im interested in this as somone said to me the other day I just dont seem like an "office person" and they were surprised its my career choice. Well its not lol, I just happen to be good at it, and I replied im not defined by my job. So what am I defined by? What gives me my sense of identity, and what gives others a sense of who I am and what I'm about?

What do you think defines you - is it one thing or a mixture of lots of things?

for me I think its my values. I am constantly lend by them in all my decision making. As I am always being told, I am very black and white, right and wrong. I really do need to learn some grey areas, because this sometimes makes me very judgemental of people. which my brother always tells me :oops:
I can't stand lying, cheating, tricking etc. I won't play any game with anyone that cheats, its one of my bug bares :evil: I would ALWAYS want the truth however harsh. The truth always comes out in the end!!

to be defined by your values, I like it!

I suppose I am to some extent, people who know me know that I will give the earth to those I care about but dont take any shit from anyone, but I get more angry at others injustices than I do my own.

i had a similar thing said to me years ago GGG, when i was expecting Georgia 11yrs ago, i was 18 & someone i used to talk to that worked in a shop, when she saw me with a bump she said 'oh you don't seem the baby type' ??? now WTF did she mean by that?
i am defined by being a mum i suppose coz i don't know anything else at the moment, i had Georgai at just turned 19 & my life revolves around them & my DH.

i too though am very honest (mostly anyway :oops: ) & don't take any shit from people especially if it involves the kids!
i am also very trendy & love being a young trendy mum to my 11 yr old, whose friends all think i'm great 8)

one day though i'd like to be defined by a high power career :wink:

I think I'm defined, for better or worse, by my relationships.

I've always been fortunate enough to attract a lot friends. I'd say everyone I spend time with socially is really different, and that reflects my diversity and love of people I'd like to think.

I'm also lucky enough to have close and stable family relationships, and I think that helps me with my confidence and security.

people always define to me, by my music, mostly, and how i dress,
its like annoying people class me as a "goth" becasue i like heavy music, and cos i like to wear black clothing, and dye my hair different colours. = /

i always got alot of grief when i found out i was pregnant.
which annoyed me considering i had been with my bf for like nearly 2 years, they started naming me
i dont know why people do it

dunno if thats the kinda thing we are on about btw :|

I think it's very hard to define people full stop let alone yourself,
I mean you could say that some people are ditzy or nerdy but that doesn't define THEM as a person just one of there character traits,
This is a fab question GGG i just have no idea how i could ever possibly answer it :rotfl:
I guess a persons confidence would kinda help define who they are as that would show through on most visual and vocal persona's.

To truly get an honest definition of someone i guess you would have to ask their friends and close family :think:

People who dont know know me define me by my music/fashion taste. People seem to think i sit at home in my baggy clothes listening to rock music all the time and dont have any other interests. Maybe thats just because there ignorant. I duno :rotfl:

jenna said:
People who dont know know me define me by my music/fashion taste. People seem to think i sit at home in my baggy clothes listening to rock music all the time and dont have any other interests. Maybe thats just because there ignorant. I duno :rotfl:

How can they think that? Surely your on here aswell :lol:

Only kidding hun.

Maybe the real question is wether we define ourselves on our own internal opinions of ourselves, or on how other people see us?

I think with most people i only show them the side they know me as. My best friend would define me as a nice person with a great sence of humour whereas some one iv known for years say my work friends wouldnt, theyd say im quiet. I always get people at work saying 'i cant imagine you at a rock gig' yet thats what i love doing.
I think thats what every ones talkin about. :think:

Absolutely, different faces for different places as they say, I wouldnt hang out with the people I work with yet if I did they would see a completely different person :lol:

(oh and rock gigs rock hehe)

by my job I guess, I'm a career girl and it scares some people I work with :(

I wouldnt say i was a 'strong character' and always find myself pushed out of social groups at work. They think thats why i never talk to them or join in in conversation when really its because i think its rude to join a conversation thats nothing to do with you and im there to work not chat. So they see me as rude and quiet. When really im polite and hard working (well i do chat on here now and again :rotfl: ).
Even if i were a strong character i wouldnt behave like i were at a gig at work. I dont understand why people have to label others like that. Just because i love loud music i have to be a loud person. I would never shout across the office like some of them doo but they think i would but dont because im trying to be rude to them. If it was at a bar or something id be quite happy shouting across to them.

my dad described me as "optima matre" (latin for 'perfect mother') the other week, bless him!
if i'm honest i'd say b4 i had millie ppl would prob say im defined by my look (altho i'd like 2 b able 2 say its my gr8 interesting fun personality lol) as i had a very distinct look i guess. but since millie i'v lived in pyjamas n joggy bottoms etc so for now i dont even hav a look! i think ill accept my dads definition hehe!

I get defined as a fricking emoooo or scene kid
due 2 my hair and skinny jeans lowlife belts shoes/piecrings o n now my tattoo
and they expect me 2 like 1 type of music
and slit my wrists ans complain

I'll admit i do complain sometimes
but i like all sorts of musiccc and dressed the same way for years

i define myself by immaturirty :D
BUT i am mature where it counts im strong
how many 19 yr olds could of lived completely alone ur sister moved to swindon and ur parents in France
pregnant and living on £35 a week for EVERYTHING (benefit ppl took bak a social fund that damien took out 2 buy weed £10 a week off me)
Those were the bleak times lifes improved so much for me :D

People judge me by the way I look, think I've got a bitchy face, haha. Most of my friends claim (years later) to have hated me when they first met me, without even taking time to get to know me :roll: But now they are my good friends!!!

They also thought I was up my own arse (I'm not, I am infact very insecure)

frangelle said:
People judge me by the way I look, think I've got a bitchy face, haha. Most of my friends claim (years later) to have hated me when they first met me, without even taking time to get to know me :roll: But now they are my good friends!!!

They also thought I was up my own arse (I'm not, I am infact very insecure)

exactly the same with me.
all my really close friends never liked me before we became friends, they said i looked threatning, when really im lovely.
oh well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back