What could you not have coped without??

MrsBrightside

Reaction score
when you LO's were born what could you not have coped without.... could be things for you for exapmple for pain in your lady bits or brilliant buys for the LO.... just thought it would be interesting to see what mummies life savers were :lol:

Muslins! I have a refluxy baby so they are brilliant for constant mop ups of puke and putting down in her crib etc to save having to wash bedding all the time. We've now downgraded to facecloths as her reflux has settled down.

Couldn't be without some sort of carrier - sling etc for when she's in a grumpy mood I can just haul her about with me or if I want to nip to the shops quickly and can't be bothered with the buggy.

A big massive rolled up bath towel in Sams Moses Basket he wouldn't sleep in it otherwise.
That kept me sane for the first few weeks of sleepless nights.

I LOVE MIDNA to this day for suggesting i try that :D

Vibrating baby chair-it was the only thing that would settle her if she was clingy.
Now it's her gym, she loves it

joj said:
Vibrating baby chair-it was the only thing that would settle her if she was clingy.
Now it's her gym, she loves it

Ooh yeah his vibrating chair that was a godsend.

I know it sounds odd but... the music mobile that attached to his moses basket!!!

I did originally have a baby carrier but didn't want to get into the habit of carrying him around the house all the time (being a nursery nurse i saw how some babies got when it come to leaving mum if they were constantly carried around and i didn't want Aiden to be like this)

I bought a mobile and used to put it on whilst putting him down awake, he liked looking at it, i could leave him there whilst i had a quick shower or whilst doing quick household chores, it helped to make me feel like a human being because i was able to do simple things on my own.

Obviously i wouldn't leave him there for ages because i didn't want him to feel neglected. It also helped when it finally came to getting a bedtime routine because he was used to being on his own for a while.

I would not have coped without the vibrating bouncy chair. We have now got one in every room and have found that the fisher price ones appear to be the best, you seem to be able to use it from an earlier age than the rest. We have a Mamas and Papas Winnie the Pooh chair and Chloe still looks really uncomfy in it.

Gotta say muslin cloths for wiping up milk/sick, i had a stash on my sofa so i could grab easily whilst feeding.

Get some ibuprofen especially if you have stitches as they will help with the inflammation. I found that they gave me relief as i was a little swollen down there. I could sit a little better once they had kicked in :)

my hugabub, kept Cally close to me, nice and secure and meant I could still play with Seren and have my hands free but could also keep my baby close.

for bruising - definately arnica. I healed so much quicker the second time which I attribute to the arnica.

Also lavender oil, used it loads in labour (had it in my bath), in my bath after labour to help with healing, and used it for Cally too. I also use it on my cloth nappies.

Changing Bag: I have a big box upstairs with "stock" :lol: loads of nappies, loads of wipes, loads of nipple pads and I just keep topping up the changing bag if I run out of anything... I carry her changing bag EVERYWHERE.

Baby Bath Seat: It's been a lifesaver! I can so easily bath her because she sits perfect in her little seat in the bath.

Laxatives: Goes without saying!! :cheer: Love them!

I always find it great when i read through posts like this :) It just goes to show you how unique each and every baby is and how unique each mummy is. We are all so different in our needs and what we find helps us more or less.
Random answer :oops: but it s what popped in my head xx

Sorry edit but :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: for MIDNA :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

For me and Kathryn- advice about breastfeeding from Midna and Squiglet. LIFESAVERS!

For me- yoga top and pants from Next maternity range. Great for when I was preg and for wearing in hospital before and after I gave birth- comfy but don't quite look like PJs. Great for after the birth as big and comfy but also the V on the top comes low enough to be able to breast feed without taking the top off/lifting it up etc so no cold bits! I still wear them now as PJs for those night feeds.

For Kathryn- I'd say the baby bjorn sling- in the early days it meant I could still get on and do things with her attached- she wouldn't lie down awake EVER until she was 8 weeks old!

I miss Midna :(

Here's something I carried round with me from the moment I found out I was pregnant, and am still carrying around with me now, 2 years later - it's a thought process. The thing I can't do without is THE IDEA that there is nothing out there I need so much that I couldn't do without it. Don't set yourself massive expectations and you won't be disappointed. Take what life throws at you and use what you have on hand at the time to deal with it.

The only time this theory didn't work is the time my baby went through 3 nappies in an hour and I didn't have a fourth one on hand :lol: I can tell you a muslin tied around her bottom didn't keep the next poo in!

Muslins for me too - use them all the time and Finlay has now decided he likes to chew them :lol: Ikea do the best ones IMO as they are thicker and funky patterns ;)

Also his play mat/gym thingy - he loves this!

And more recently he loves his door bouncer as he wants to be on his feet all the time

Baby sling - I have a wrap one but now have a Mei Tai on order as its more sturdy for his weight ;)

And a bloody toy cow that magically appeared from somewhere! :lol:

tbh - he's easily amused with most things just now :lol:

Olbas oil and a oil burner:
Put it in the kitchen with a candle so it made the whole house smelly when she had a cold when she was 2 weeks.

Pram:
When she was at her snottiest she could only sleep whle propped up. Raising one end of the cot meant she rolled down to the bottom in a heap and I spent one sleepless night holding her upright on me. I put her in the pram strapped her in so she couldn't move and she spent a few nights propped up in that so she could breathe.

My DH:
I honestly don't know how single mums do it on their own.

couldnt have done without loads and loads of blankets as when changing his nappies, boys will be boys and he peed through so many vests into blankets or let rip in the middle of changing. the 1st night we had him home he had peed thru 5 blankets and i remember wandering aimlessly around the house at 4am wondering what i could wrap him in - ended up in a towel!! my dh was most confused when he woke!!

i could have done without alot of the bibs we have at the mo as i use muslins. i'm sure they will be handy comr weaning time

PEOPLE!

Much more than any 'stuff', my family and OH were so helpful when Stanley was tiny (and now, actually).

My mum would clean the house while I rested and once ordered me to bed when I had a house full of guests. She was right, I was shattered and trying to keep up appearances. OH unquestionally did everything I asked for and more besides.

Having people look out for you whilst you look out for your LO is invaluable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back