what age to learn stairs?

trixipaws

Reaction score
i was quite suprised the other day to find out that my dad has taught millie to get up and down stairs (going down facing them like one would climb down a tree) he doesnt just leave her to it of course lol but she definately knew what she was doing, even tho we were behind her to catch her we didnt need to. however my parents house is modern and the stairs are shallow and big and they turn 2 corners. our stairs are looming and ominous- heres a pic!
stairs2.jpg

i think im a bit nervous about teaching her our stairs!

when did y'all teach them stairs?

As soon as aidan started to climb things we let him climb the stairs (with one of us behing him tho).

Coming back down we taught him the same thing (coming down facing the stairs)

It was a natural progression for him to turn around which he did at about 19 months and now he walks down them 1 at a time (still with someone in front of him)

Even now he only goes up and down when we choose as the stair gate is there

we did the same, we laways let rhys go up the stairs as long as one of us was behind him, this was from about 10months (he was an early walker) now he goes up and down them on his own really really well (20months) we tend to leave the babygate open now for most of the day as hes not really interested in climbing them unless he needs the toilet!

We live in a bungalow so don't have to worry about stairs at home, but Austin started climbing my mum's & sisters stairs at about 8 months - pretty much as soon as he could! The both live in old victorian houses with steep stairs but he's never had a fall (we are ALWAYS behind him just in case though).

We'd never gone down before but went to visit some friends a couple of weekends ago & their 2 year old daughter taught Austin to go down! They had more shallow stairs and he ended up practically sliding on his tummy (feet first) but it did the trick and he was so proud of himself.

I'd see how Millie gets on with your stairs, just the same as anything if you are sensible & supervise it'll be fine.

As soon as she is interested, she is better to be shown how to do it rather than trying it herself.

Cameron started by bumming it down stairs, but that didn last long as it took to much time for him so he walked them. Scary but he got the hang of it, and never fell

i have VERY steep staires too.. sinse hannah was about 12 months ive let her climb up them (while im behind her) when shes going to bed, it still takes her ages cos they are so steep. I havent let her go down them yet - as its quite scarey cos they are very narrow, for me to be holding her hand or somthing., . . . :think: :? (they also end in a flat wall too lol - like its the 2 last steps that turn into the living room, so if you fell down them youd go straight into the wall)

Im moving house next month and the staires there seem to be bigger and less steep so i think ill focus more on this issue then lol.

Cara started climbing the stairs with me behind her at about 11 months. I haven't taught her to go down yet as our stairs are very narrow and the front door is right at the bottom.

I have always taught them to go down on their bum...great game! lol
Most kids are ready to start by about fifteen months climbing up is easy, going down on bum is easy but you need to keep close eye on things!!
Lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back