Prams / buggies / carrycots etc when to switch

laracomps

Reaction score
At the moment I am mainly using our maxi-cosi car seat on our pram chassis. I know its not good for their little spines, but she was screaming every time I took her out in the carrycot.

Question is, the buggy bit of it ( I think its buggy, i get confused between that and a pram!) says to only use it from 6 months. I can't wait until I can use it... But, do I really need to wait till 6 months? Would she be ok say in 1 months time? Would it be better putting her in this than the car seat?

The buggy we have is a Micralite Toro.

Its all so confusing this baby stuff. I swore I'd never take her everywhere in the car seat before she was born :oops:

Maybe I'll have to persevere with the carrycot? Other problem is I will have to haul it up and down the stairs as we live in a flat along with phoebe, and also the chassis. I have yet to attempt this without OH. hmpf.

I don't think OH would let me buy a lightweight buggy, and to be honest, he is prob right in banning me, we can't really afford £100 as I go down to stat pay this month :evil:

Thanks in advance.

We sued the maxi cosi car seat quite a lot when Jenna was little instead of puttin gher in the carry cot. We only used the carry cot if we were going out for a walk. If I went into town / doctors / etc I would use the car seat on the chassis (we have a bugaboo cameleon). When Jenna was 5 months old we changed over to using the buggy part of the bugaboo. I know it's not recommended until 6 months but she just wanted to look around all the time and couldn't do that in the carry cot. I don't know how supportive your buggy is, but 3/4 months is a bit young IMO - they can't support themselves so may end up in a little heap on the seat which will be far worse for her than the car seat. I would keep using the car seat and switch to the buggy at 5/6 months - depends also on the size of your baby.

its so long since i had my toro.. but im sure if you recline it fairly low you'll be fine :)

Thanks guys. Dunno what to do really. Just had a look at the instructions and it says its ok to use as soon as she can sit up unassisted. But who knows when this will be!

hmpf.

Lozzi, if we were to get a lightweight stroller, I'd be looking at something like a Maclaren Quest Mod (or XT) Something around £100ish - are there any others that are better for this price? Bearing in mind it needs to fit into a Clio.

PS Bet you get sick of people asking you about buggies now :rotfl:

laracomps said:
Thanks guys. Dunno what to do really. Just had a look at the instructions and it says its ok to use as soon as she can sit up unassisted. But who knows when this will be!

hmpf.

Lozzi, if we were to get a lightweight stroller, I'd be looking at something like a Maclaren Quest Mod (or XT) Something around £100ish - are there any others that are better for this price? Bearing in mind it needs to fit into a Clio.

PS Bet you get sick of people asking you about buggies now :rotfl:

if your looking for literally something for her to go in now - then dont waste your money - they'll be same as toro, pop her in and see what she looks like - you'll be suprised - i had a quinny buzz when bam was about 2 months and thats 6months plus...

however if your looking for a lighter option - then maclarens are lovely i have an xlr..

other ones on the short list are

silver cross pop
silver cross dazzle
chicco multiway lollipop
xlr / xt

off the top of my head ;)

Thanks your a star. :hug: :hug: Will see what she looks like in it at the weekend :think: Just want to make sure she is nice and supported!

I had a lift of a quest mod in mothercare the other day and to be honest, they aren't really any lighter than our toro. Its just something for now onwards really. Since getting in today my back is killing me from lifting her in the carseat up and down the stairs everyday with change bag etc in tow. I have bad joints, so I can't keep on doing this. Somethings gotta give, and its not gonna be my back lol.

So... if I can't use the toro, might need to get a stroller. Mum was talking about getting one to keep at hers at one point, maybe I'll see if she wants to get one a bit early haha.

laracomps said:
At the moment I am mainly using our maxi-cosi car seat on our pram chassis. I know its not good for their little spines, but she was screaming every time I took her out in the carrycot.

Question is, the buggy bit of it ( I think its buggy, i get confused between that and a pram!) says to only use it from 6 months. I can't wait until I can use it... But, do I really need to wait till 6 months? Would she be ok say in 1 months time? Would it be better putting her in this than the car seat?

The buggy we have is a Micralite Toro.

Its all so confusing this baby stuff. I swore I'd never take her everywhere in the car seat before she was born :oops:

Maybe I'll have to persevere with the carrycot? Other problem is I will have to haul it up and down the stairs as we live in a flat along with phoebe, and also the chassis. I have yet to attempt this without OH. hmpf.

I don't think OH would let me buy a lightweight buggy, and to be honest, he is prob right in banning me, we can't really afford £100 as I go down to stat pay this month :evil:

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem too. My baby will scream the place down if i lay him in the pram . i have had to walk around the shops with him in my arms to calm him down before :wall: I have just started to use the car seat when i am out and about i dont really think its a problem as he is only in it for a couple of hours. I dont feel ready for him to go in the pushchair mode as he looks a bit lost in it and plus its not parent facing which i dont like!!! . he weighs about 14ib so im going to wait another month before using the pushchair. :hug:

im sure mine reclined COMPLETELY flat... it really is yonks ago though...

it was the recline that sold it to me :D

I have just got the quinny buzz because like you I live in a flat which is on the second floor and I could not carry my mutsy urban rider up and down on my own. I prefer my buzz though. Its alot easier when you are in the shops, it's like pushing a trolley!

I wouldn't worry about using your car seat. I don't have the car seat for my pram but I do sit him in the one we have at home when he is playing up and wont go in his moses basket. I think it makes him feel more secure as he can see what going on around him and make sure we haven't left him on his own.

Hmm well I tried her in the stroller part today. She didn't look as bad as i thought it would but the harness is too big, even with the liner i bought for it!

Not sure what to do really. If it wasn't for carrying her up and down the stairs I'd prob just use the car seat, especially as I like her facing me. Just don't know if my back can hold it out much longer :think:

Can you not take her out and carry her up first, put her somewhere safe inside then go back down for the car seat?

I could have done, but.... People downstairs have dogs who they let run down the stairs not on a lead to go and crap outside. So I wouldn't want them sniffing all over it :x

Plus I am a bit paranoid about leaving her up here on her own. I've done it a few times, but just can't relax and end up running up the stairs haha. What am I gonna be like when she's older?!

Looks like we might go and look at some cheaper stroller type things tomorrow. It will be useful when we go on holiday too, and mum was talking about buying one for her house as well.

I was a bit worried about having her not facing me in a stroller, but when I put her in the buggy earlier, she loved it and was kicking all her legs around grinning, so its put me at ease a bit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back