Weaning - when to start.

l_maclean

Reaction score
I realise thing may be controversial (if that's the right word) - but please tell me exactly what you think and why, as I really need opinions/reasons to get my head round this.

Firstly I don't understand the '6 month magic number' - surely if babies all walk/talk/stand/sit etc at different times they will eat at different times???

That said I really want to do BLW, so thought we'd need to push till at least 6 months (I wouldn't be adverse to going longer if that was right for her) but I've just read the "is my baby ready" bit, and I'm more confused.

It says they are ready when-

They can sit with little or no support
G needs a little, mostly because she would rather stand and so pushes herself backwards

Reach out and grab things effectively
She grabs most things these days!

Take objects to mouth quickly and effectively
She can put her dummy in and out very efficiently now, including turning it if she gets the wrong side first iykwim

Make knawing and chewing movements.
She does this on her dummy, when getting teething powders etc.

So it looks like she can do all the signs and 4 1/2 months??

She also fusses a lot if we are eating and she's not "included". She used to be quite content to wriggle on her mat while we ate, but now she wants to be sitting up. A few nights this week I've given her a Bickie peg to chew on at dinner time.

Another bit that confuses me is the "the digestive system needs to develop" bug the BLW book says that they are unlikely to actually swallow anything at first.

Basically I'm looking for some clarification - I don't wanna start early just because, but equally I don't want her to be like my nephew who was desperate for solids but my bro insisted he had to be 6months.

Help please.

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

i've heard a lot about baby's digestive system not being properly developed before 6 months so we waited till 6 months to wean. Holly took to it like a duck to water and swallowed loads right from her first meal

I hear a lot about six months and to be straight in my opinion I think it depends on the individual child's needs and stage of development . We didn't start with Aoibheann as I did blw with her and wanted her to be able to sit well up . However with lily she was just over four months and her dietician said it was for the best as she was having issues with her nutrition and she loved it and thrived !

It is pretty controversial lol. In my research and discussions with my doctor the digestive tract is ready between 4 and 6 months. This is why they have recommended six months as all babies should be ready to wean by then. I also read that the tongue thrust reflex which is meant to keep a baby from swallowing and choking on anything other than milk (not gag reflex) goes away as their body matures and they are able to digest other foods. I have been giving K a taste of cereal (pretty much milk with a tad of cereal) once a week and when she shows a sign of being interested in actually eating it, I will give her more. She shows all the other signs of being ready and interested to eat, but when the spoon gets to her mouth she doesn't want it. I know it can be a longer process to get a baby used to eating so I didn't want to wait until she was exactly six months old, but I also don't want to force her. I know not everyone agrees with me, but this is my opinion. :)

i started BLW with my two at 5.5 months... if you have any questions about BLW id be happy to help x

Thanks. I think I have a grasp of BLW in general, it's the starting bit that eludes me really! I've just read the cook book bit. But had ordered the proper full book, so might be less confused after that.

If I was to BLW 'early' do u think I'd need to introduce foods slower than if G was 6months (someone said they were told only 4foods till 6months)???

Xxx

I'm glad you asked this as I have exactly the same questions? Also if you start before 6 months do you need to sterilise bowls, spoons etc.

I'm glad you asked this as I have exactly the same questions? Also if you start before 6 months do you need to sterilise bowls, spoons etc.

I wouldn't think so. My sterilising has got a lot more relaxed already!! G got her hands on the dogs chew toy today!! :sick: she has everything she can get in her mouth!! X

If you want to BLW I think she should be nearer 6 months. We started at 24 weeks. Yes he spits a lot out but you really would be surprised how much he does have (from poo assessments and muck clearing up) I think one of the reasons to wait later might be because of allergies, I think (not 100% on this) but they cope with it all easier when they are older.

I think if I did it again I'd wait until 6 months as its so much more effort, I struggle to get out the house with his naps, food and clearing up food! Having said that it is really fun!

H is 5 months and up till now we have been TW but yesterday he was still hungry after his porridge so I cut up a banana and let him play with it. I cut up 5 slices and he put one at a time in his mouth, chewed it and swallowed most (some did fall out) I was amazed so I think it is possible to do it just depends on wether you want o wait or not!!
I personally think the time was right for my baby but other ladies from my nct tried and their babies wouldnt take the food so they waited!! the only way to find out is to try tbh the worst that can happen is she doesnt eat it and you wait a bit longer!!
xxx

We waited until 26 weeks (6 months). There is history of digestive problems in our family so felt this was best! U r meant to avoid certain foods before 6months if u start then coz of increased risk of allergies such as wheat and egg. Blw is good fun but for my LO he wouldn't have been ready much earlier. I thought about starting around 23 weeks but I found that even those extra couple of weeks made a big difference to his sitting and hand to mouth skills! He is nearly 8 months now and has 3meals a day and doing great with it! Am so amazed at how quickly they get the hang of it!! It's ur choice when u wanna start but I'd say def consider what u will give and whether u think that LO is truly ready before 6 months xxx

Part of.the reason blw says to wait til 6months is as others have said allergies etc.and because it shares the ethos of families eating the.same thing etc. So from 6months you have the green light to offer all food (few no nos.but pretty much all).where's before.6 months you're meant to intrpduce.stuff.a lot more slowly and carefully. We.weaned blw.at 5.5months with.fruit, veg etc til 6months and then now proper meals. Once you get the full.book its a lot more detailed.

Thanks. I think I have a grasp of BLW in general, it's the starting bit that eludes me really! I've just read the cook book bit. But had ordered the proper full book, so might be less confused after that.

If I was to BLW 'early' do u think I'd need to introduce foods slower than if G was 6months (someone said they were told only 4foods till 6months)???

Xxx

Hey hun I'm not really sure tbh as I didn't wean mine until 5.5 months xxx

I think with BLW your definitely best to wait until nearer to 6 months give or take a week or two either way to be sure their tummy can take it. Development wise they are all different and do things at their own pace but their insides will all mature at the same rate just as they grow in the womb at roughly the same rate. That's why I held off and also as he was a month early so needed him to be sitting properly etc. I tw with my dd at 4 months and in hindsight it was too early for her but was the done thing back then so I didn't question it just shoved spoons of puree down her neck! At least now I think we have a more flexible approach to decide when is best for each baby and more research has been done on their tummy development etc. We started putting Kynon in his chair with a cup of expressed milk or water while we ate so he could feel included and practise with his cup. I also gave him a massive raw carrot sometimes to chew on as i knew he couldn't bite any off and it was cold on his gums and had a bit of flavour!

I can only speak for myself as I've done mixed weaning, there isn't anything I wouldn't offer now that I wouldn't offer at 6 months but I do try and stick to one new food at a time just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back