Had to start weaning

tinytoes

Reaction score
I've had to start weaning Lily this week as her dietician isnt happy with her weight gain even on sma high energy . He suggested giving her baby rice and I said I'd rather not . So I've started this week with pureed fruit after her lunchtime and breakfast bottles and she is doing well .Im a bit dissapointed as I was hoping to BLW unfortunatley its not possible as we have to make up her purees using formula to try and encourage her to take more and giving her swallow and suck difficulties it wouldnt really be safe for her . So has anyone got some tips for nie purees I can try for her ?

I know Claire does TW and does nice homemade purees, I think she's Clairebear on here :)

Aww sorry that things didn't start how you planned :( its good to hear she's doing well though

We started Savannah on aptamil porridge. We never tried baby rice but I'm guessing its quite similar to baby porridge? I understand some people don't give baby rice.

After that We tried carrot.. mostly because its not to rich and it went down well. Then we gave her some swede pureed which she really enjoyed because its not that different carrot. We tried to steer away from fruit for her first few weeks to avoid her getting a sweet tooth but when we did try it she didn't seem to enjoy it but i guess that's only because its different. Now she has some pureed banana, apple and pear. We try to introduce new this has separately and then mix them with something she already knows when she's used to it and it seems to be working well.

What have you tried so far?

I've tried carrot , carrot and sweet potato , bananna but she didnt like that and it made her a little constipated , stewed apples and stewed pears . Im not sure about jars as they all seem to be very sweet and I never gave them to Aoibheann have you used them ? I make a homemade veg soup without stock too for Aoibheann (its just pureed veg and water ) So I guess she could have that ?

Yes I'm sure she could.

We have used a couple of jars but tend to make most of the food ourselves mostly because they are so expensive and I quite enjoy making savannahs food! She got on ok with them though when we did try them.

I think I'm going to try her on some green vegetables soon... Just not sure which ones.

If you decide to try soup report back!

Aptimel porridge is really nice and I checked out which of the porrdges had most calories/ nutrients in it and it was that one. Have you got the annabel karmel book? It's got some great recipes in it.

No I'll check the book out . I've heard good things actually . I'm all new to TLW so Im lost haha . I have to make sure its a puree that I can add formula too as well as she is still so underweight

I was going to suggest Annabel Karmel, we didn't TW but when I was trying to work out which route we would take I saw she had some lovely sounding recipes.

Im so grumpy about having to change my plans :rotfl: because I'm such a control freak . We are back for a developmental check in the hospital this week so i'm hoping they will tell me her suck/swallow has improved .

We do blw but I know a lot of y friends mix purees - so, cauliflower with sweet potato, carrot and squash etc.

Xx

It's hard when you have your mind set on Doing things a certain way and then have to change your plans. I hope the check goes well and that it has improved :)

I suppose if its only the onle little thing that has been effected I should be glad :) Im lucky she's here at all let alone hitting milestones

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back