Weaning breakfast and bedtime bottles

Preggers123

Reaction score
Hi All

But can anyone give me some practical advice? My wee boy is 13 months old and loves his morning and bedtime bottles!! He likes to be all cosy with either me or his dad and I need to try and wean him off them and onto his sippy cup :( He drinks water and baby juice from his cup but as soon as he sees his milk he holds his arms up to get his bottle from me or his dad!

I love having a cuddle while he gets his bottle but I know that we have to move him on and I don't want to leave it so long that he refuses to do it.

Any suggestions?

My ds loved his bottles too and ive just got rid of his bottle at 20 mths I tried to get him to just have it at bed but if he ha or saw it he used to get really upset so I found if the bottle is out of sight he will drink from his sippy beaker. It's now been nearly 3 weeks and he's not asked for it once. I didnt mind him keeping it for bed but he was the one that made it that he doesn't have it at all! I did used to have the beaker around so it wasn't new. I also used to praise him when he drunk out of it too but not make a fuss if he drunk out of his bottle. Sorry if that's not very helpful!

Could you take him to buy a special milk cup that's just for milk and nothing else? Don't let him see the bottle at all, just give him his new 'milk' cup. Still encourage the cuddles and closeness whilst he's drinking as well though.
We did the 'special milk cup' thing and he was fine. He didn't miss his bottles at all though.

My daughter was the same she always wanted a bedtime bottle but at 2 years I decided it had to stop , but other than with her morning cereal she was refusing to drink any milk from anything other than a bottle after over a week I was really worrying that she needs milk in her diet so showed her how to use a straw ....bingo... she loves her milk at bedtime again now it's with a special big girl straw . success lol. xx

If you think the time is right to stop his night-time bottle, then I think your idea of drink of milk from a cup and biscuit before bathtime is a great idea - if he is happy to drink from a lidded beaker, you could even let him have a few oz's beside his bed as a substitute if he misses his bottle too much initially?

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back