What are we doing wrong?

Roo3

Reaction score
For a few months now LO has had the same bedtime routine of bath at 7pm, bottle then bed. He always used to either fall asleep or be on the verge of falling asleep during his bottle, then we'd put him in his crib and if he was awake he'd babble to himself and drop off to sleep within 10 minutes. He would wake up once in the night for a feed, and when put back in his cot he'd babble again and drop off within 10 minutes.

A few weeks ago we had a spell of about 5 nights where he would sleep straight through from 7.30pm until about 7am.

Now when he has his bedtime bottle he is wide awake, put has stopped babbling himself to sleep. OH gives him his bottle, puts him in his cot, gives him his dummy and comes downstairs. 99% of the time within 5 minutes LO is crying. I tend to go back up and have to hold his dummy in his mouth until he drops off. I'm also guilty of stroking his nose to help him get to sleep. He'll then cry out in his sleep at about 11ish. And then he'll pretty much be waking up from 3am every 30 minutes or so. I have given in and fed him on a couple of occasions but I know he can go thorugh the night without it. I just don't understand why his sleeping habits have suddenly changed. I'm absolutley shattered and feel as though I'm being a terrible Mum becuase I'm so tired all the time.

I'd appreciate any advice on how I can get him back to his decent sleeping habits or any tips from anyone on how to get him to self settle.

Sorry for the long post! xx

I don't think I'm gonna be much help but wanted to offer support! We had a lot of similar night wakings and so many different phases. sometimes I thought it was cos he was aware of being on his own, but slot of the time it was teeth! do u have any teeth signs? O didnt go through the night til 10 months so Im not too much help, he was still having feeds til 8/9 months in the night. at 11 months for bed and naps we did controlled crying as there was nothing else we could have done.

We also pattied and shhed to help him sleep before this, often he would kinda go off on his own for but sometimes he needed help.

hope there's other ladies with a few more ideas.

hugs xx

Thanks hun.

He is showing signs of teething - red cheaks, dribbling- so it could be that.

He slept through the night before last, but then last night was waking all night.

I think we are going to have to give controlled crying a go.

I have absolutely no advice as our nighttime routine is ridiculous at the mo - she's started waking after an hour or so in bed, being wide awake for hours, and crying as soon as she realises she's in her cot - I'm planning to just keep going as we are and if no improvement I'm also going to just go for controlled crying after new year - will be interested to hear how it goes for you and Jake :)

Last edited:
Last night was a battle to get him off to sleep but then we didn't hear a peep until about 3. He was awake then until about 5.30am when I bought him into bed with me. He wasn't crying, just really happy to be awake!! It's driving me mad!

Joshua goes through spells of this and its an absolute mare. Normally in line with teething or a cold wtc. We make sure that if he feeling crappy he has some calpol before bed and keep his routine the same. the calpol comes about twenty to thirty minutes before he goes to bed so there's time to kick in. And then we do controlled crying. It was a nightmare at first but now he just goes straight down. At night he. Occasionally wakes 4/5 times and we make sure he's ok etc and then leave him. Longest its taken is 20 minutes. And it us difficult especially during the night but now yes in bed asleep before 7 and doesn't wake up til 7 at the earliest. Cc has really worked for us but we always check he's ok etc first x

Hi Roo3 thanks for posting this..I am in same boat..My bubba is 13 months..used to sleep for 10 hours until 6 weeks ago..suddenly he had a series of infections and he started waking middle of the night..he is now teething as well..he gets up at 3 and stays awake until 530 every day..no matter what time he goes to bed...we r working so its getting harder..let us know how things progress with u..I have tried everything except controlled crying which I am not keen on ..

All other mums please suggest any advice which worked for ur lil ones thanks

I wasn't keen on controlled crying. Ager Joshua got over the cold and reething he was in the habit of waking up at 4 and staying awake. For is us we had to do it and within 2 nights he was to normal. Like I said we always check he's ok and when we know he is we leave him and he's fine. If ur Lo is teething have you tried amber teething necklaces. We have just bought and not yet uswest it but we got it Aw loadsa mind on here swear by them.... Might be worth a shot xx

Thanks Squeakz. I think I will have to try controlled crying ..:( not sure how..I cannot even go outside so that I don't hear him cry as its so cold..I will also buy the teething necklace...wish me luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back