Weaning off the bottle

Amy_J

Reaction score
I've been doing some reading online and in books that says from 6 months babie should be gradually weaned off the bottle in time for their 1st birthday. basically introducing bottles with handles and sippy cups etc. during the day i give lo a bottle with handles just with water, so that he can play and get used to it, he actually directed it right to his mouth and drank, then threw it down! h how long does it take to get them "off" the bottle so to speak?i had no idea about this till i read it, and always see older babies still with bottles (without handles etc) any advice?

tbh, i think its bollocks thatthey should be off them by 12 months! my sister reckons hers were completely off bottles by 6 months, but i think she also has a few issues haha! dint believe her for a second! with K, i introduced sippy cups with water from about 4 months when i introduced food, but i still gave her bottles of milk in the morning and at night until she was about 18 months! i kept her on a bit longer than i wanted to tho, cos i knew she needed an operation and needed the comfort from her bottles!

i've had other issues with E, cos she's always had problems drinking and has only recently learnt to drink a bottle without dribbling milk everywhere and cups, she still spurts it everywhere! its got better this last week tho and for the first time this morning i gave her a cup of milk with her breakfast! she looked at me like i was crazy and passed it back to me :rofl: but she swapped cups with K, who also didnt want hers and they were happy :lol:

it all depends on the individual baby tho, i'd just offer cups throughout the day and eventually you'll just know when they're ready to make the switch full time!

thanks for replying! i thought it was a bit bollocks too!!! (lol at ur sis!! u made me laugh!) they're still babies at 1, and to me the bottle is something for comfort too and i didnt like the idea of taking that away from him so soon!!!!! i'll keep going with his handled bottle during the day and sippy cup but im deffo not going to rush him!!! you made me feel better!!! =))

something tells me all of these "guidelines" were made by people who have never had children!

something tells me all of these "guidelines" were made by people who have never had children!

i know! as a first time mum im so keen to do everything right that during pregnancy and now i bombard myself with informations, books, internet etc etc and its all conflicting!!! i think now i need to go with my instinct and not worry too much about doing it "right"!

i ignore the "rules" now and just do what i think's best, when katie was little i was very much like formula is poison, nothing from a jar is going anywhere near my daughter etc etc :blush: i soon woke up to the real world tho!

hahah i've convinced myself that im going to make ALL of AK baby purees etc. once i finish the jars ive got and then not give lo jars anymore....... i'll get back to you in a month!!! im sure when tesco etc have heinz baby jars on offer i'll be there in a flash!!! hehe. illprobably get fed up of puree-ing!!

haha i didnt give K one til we went on holiday in a caravan and i didnt have much choice, so then after that, i barely cooked! plus it worked out cheaper, and so much easier cos i was really pregnant too! With E, i think i cooked about a weeks worth of meals and switched to jars!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back