Waterproof mattress cover? Really?

i.love

Reaction score
Hey girls,

I read yesterday that I should buy a waterproof cover for my mattress to protect it in case my waters break... Is that right? :eh: Did anyone get one?

I was hoping that just wearing panties at night with a pantyliner would suffice! I don't know where to get the cover, it probably will be very uncomfortable to sleep on and a waste of money. And also it feels so undignified! I can just imagine asking a shop assistant for a waterproof cover for an adult double bed - they'll probably think that my husband and I wee ourselves every night! :?

If your waters go hunny a panty liner is not enough. Instead of getting a matress cover, you can get maternity pads, i know boots sell them. The hospital use them and they are great for putting on your car seat too. I used them when i had Adam as my waters broke during the night and they were brilliant, will be getting them again this time x x

Mine went in the night and thankfully I had a pad on which soaked up most of it. You could get puppy training mats or pampers change mats as try are absorbent x

oh right... well those mats sound like a good idea :) I might try those. Thanks girls!

actually, another thought. What about an old towel under the sheets? Wouldn't that be enough, what you think?

I've got the Boots maternity pad things on my bed, think you get 5 in a pack, I've put 2 on my bed (length ways) and then thought i can take one for the car on the way, just in case. Think they were only cheapish. They're just by the maternity towel and disposable knickers in Boots :) x

thanks Jacki, I'll def have a look!

We splashed out on a really expensive memory foam mattress last year so I'm scared of my waters breaking whilst in bed! I got a free changing mat from pampers so am just using that under my sheet. Not very comfortable but you get used to it! x

I never thought of using anything actually :blush: .

You can get maternity mattress protectors, they are an absorbent square about 1.5m x 1.5m that you just put under your sheet. They are also useful for after the birth in case you leak any blood on the bed. I got them in tesco in the baby section, they are really cheap x

You can get maternity mattress protectors, they are an absorbent square about 1.5m x 1.5m that you just put under your sheet. They are also useful for after the birth in case you leak any blood on the bed. I got them in tesco in the baby section, they are really cheap x
I got thoeos as my hospital wont provide them when there .. they suggested I use a towel last time :roll:

eBay do waterproof matress covers for £2 worth ago. X x

I've bought the maternity pads too although my sisters waters broke in bed and it was so bad the mattress has to be chucked. The pad had not been enough to help at all.

OMG - never even crossed my mind! Last time they broke waters for me in hospital at 4cms..... Better get to shops eh?

I got one from The Range, waterproof mattress protector..gto it when my Izzy was coming into our bed and having the occasional nighttime accident! Not at all incomfortable, can't feel it at all under the sheet :)

My waters went when I was in bed all over other half's expensive mattress :wall2: I couldn't relive how much there was! As I learnt pads etc are cheaper than a new mattress lol

Last edited:
Boots do a pack of 5 mattress protectors for £4.61. They are for universal beds in that you put it under your covers where you sleep - they are a bit bigger than a pillow case but are waterproof and absorbant :)

I bought a waterproof matress cover from argos and it was £13 and the top is soft - not plastic at all :)

With a fitted sheet on it you really can't tell any difference.

My sister thought she had pee'd the bed when her waters went :shock:

Last edited:
Think I better get the bed sorted tonight then , I never even thought of it .xx

I never thought of getting anything either! Although to be fair, OH has brought up the idea of getting a new, firmer mattress about five times now but I've been putting it off as I'm happy with the one we've got. So I guess that if I tell him that my waters might go all over it then that'll give him the excuse he needs lol :lol:

PS - Also think it might be difficult finding a waterproof cover for our bed anyway as it's super-king size. Just finding normal sheets has been hard enough!

Last edited:
I didn't use anything but luckily my waters went when I was sat on the loo !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back