watching c section?

purpleisa

Reaction score
Hi

As I still have NO symptoms of early labour (I'm beginning to forget I'm even pregnant!!) I'm thinking it seems more and more likely that I'm going to end up with my elective section next week. I have asked on my birth plan to be able to see baby being lifted out during my section if I have one. I have read in books that this has happened but I've never heard of anyone who has been allowed. M/W who drew up the plan wrote it in my notes but said I'd have to ask them up at the hosp when I go in and they might not be keen in case something went wrong (surely if something went wrong I'd still know because I'd be awake anyway?). I could understand why surgeon may not be keen - but it's not like I'm gonna lie there and criticise the state of his/her stitching or anything!!

TBH I was very presently surprised by M/W reaction when I asked (I thought she'd think I was mental!) but she said if she had ended up having a section she'd have wanted to see too. I think for me it's a way of being involved if I can't actually push the baby out myself. During my first section I remember wishing I could see but I was so tired/out of it/ niave I didn't ask. I remember constantly asking them what was going on and thinking that every tug was baby coming out - then when they said this is baby coming out I didn't feel it. I'm not at all sqeamish but if I didn't like what I was seeing I could just look away or ask them to raise the screen again. Trouble is hubby is sqeamish so maybe they could show me baby getting lifted out in a mirror round the screen or he could look away...

Midwife said that the baby coming wouldn't look all that different to a vaginal birth and I'd be able to see that.

Just wondering if anyone had done this, how it was done and whether it turned out to be a positive experience.

in a funny way, i think id like that too. its your body! as long as you think you can handle it id ask for that too. not had a baby before lol so no experience or anything, but i do think it would be nice. x

I really wanted to see but as they were about to drop the partition down I think they realised Paige was being very quite and think they were scared something may have happened (it was an emergancy section as she was distressed) so quickly brought it back up.

Deffinatly ask I say. It will help you feel more apart of things and you want to see the birth of your baby. I think the doctors will respect that to be honest and you might be surprised by their reaction. Dont forget you can ask them to take photos as its happening as well. Theres so many people in the room someone will be able to take photos for you :)

good question, I would hope they would let you see if you requested to.

yeah I would have liked tohave seen but didnt think to ask :( aslo would have loved to have had pics durign section, again, didn;t htink to ask. And eould hav elike dpics during him getting weighed etc...didn't think of it! (emergency section too) Didn't see LO for 45 mins but daddy was with him :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back