• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Washing the Baby clothes

Ems

Reaction score
Is it correct that I should be washing all the clothes that are brand new? xxx

ive washed all mine ready to be put into the drawers , also washed the moses basket covers as well, i dont think you have to but think its part of my nesting to have everything fresh and clean xx

Ooh, I've heard that. Do you think we should also wash any donated clothes? My sister in law has given me sackfulls of clothes and i've just assumed they are all clean and put them away. But do you think they might carry something from her baby to ours?

as i said above ive washed all mine and lots are donated so i would just incase, and you dont know how long its been since baby wore them and theyve been washed. even though mine were spotless and sis in law is a clean freak..

I've washed my second hand clothes and bedding, but the new stuff i'm just going to leave. I'm not very good at washing and don't want them to lose that brand new feel! Plus keeping the tags on atm just in case he comes out massive and I need to take the newborn stuff back :p

I wont be washing my shop brought stuff as I don't know what size he'll be but I will be washing my second hand stuff as I don't trust that nonbio washing powders been used etc

I have washed everything as ours had been in the attic for 5.5 years so needed a good clean. I also washed the new muslins as I found them a bit stiff and scratchy. The new going home outfits I haven't washed though as I have had to buy both pink and blue and will take back to the shop what I don't want.

I think you are supposed to wash new stuff due the the chemicals used on them during manufacture and the dust from the factories etc.

i found this on a website i was looking at:

Wash your baby's clothing and bedding. You know all those adorable outfits you bought or received at your baby shower? You should wash anything that will go near your baby's skin to remove any irritants in the fabrics. The gentlest detergents are those designed for babies and those that are labeled hypoallergenic or good for sensitive skin.

I wash everything as soon as I get it, including any soft toys or other fabric items that are washable. Not only do you not know what chemicals were on there from the manufacturers but you also don't really know how the items were stored before being put out on the shelves or who had handled them before you got them.

I may just be being overly paranoid but I also do it with all my new clothes.

I'd wash everything. FIL used to set up factories in china for next and he said rats etc used to be out running over all of the clothes whilst in the factory :sick:

Thanks girls. I guess I have a mamouth task ahead of me. I think he has more clothes than me. Oh well I suppose its a good thing I am finishing work next friday! Lucky me! xx

yep most definately for reasons already mentioned, I wont risk sleepless nights due to skin irritation that could have easily been avoided. Wild rodent urine is extremely harmful to babies....christ I cant even bear the thought xxx oh if my SIL gave me stuff that i knew had been washed in non-bio then i wouldnt wash them x

yes, you should really. They say there can be factory dust etc left on the clothes. I washed everything we bought!

I'm currently in week 2 of washing everything in the house lol! Even our stuff! Gone a bit doolaley tho... X

I'm planning on washing everything, new and donated, far too many germs, dust and chemicals to worry about for a newborns skin! Me and hubby have sensitive skin and he has allergies so I want to minimize any potential problems.

We washed all of ours, I say we.. My mum :) mwhahaha *evil Laugh*

she said she's going to do all of my baby washing to begin with.. ( first year?)

I've been using fairy non bio, smells gorgeousssssss

xxxx

I will get fairy non bio and yes it does smell lovely xx

we always wash baby clothes when we buy them, mainly so we know they're clean :) it's surprising how many ppl will handle them before you actually buy them! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joshatflare
Back