washing baby clothes

BubbleOne

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've recently been unwrapping all the babygrows and other various bits and bobs and have noticed that some of them feel a bit rough or starchy even though most of them are 100% cotton.
Is anybody else considering washing all their new baby clothes before putting baby in them or am I just being too fussy?!!
If so should we just be using non biological washing powder? I have also heard that you shouldn't use softerner when washing baby clothes. Has anyone else heard this?
Thanks Guys xxx

I'll be washing everything just incase, and I don't really like the smell of new clothes much.

I have heard about usuing non biological powder - I'd stick to someting like fairy non-bio washing powder/liquid, I use it anyway as i have sensitive skin, so it must be okie for babies. They used to advertise on telly alot that their powder and stuff was okie for little ones' skins.

HTH xx

Hi

I am planning to wash all my babies new clothes before he wears them. When I went for my 20 week scan the hospital gave me my pregnancy pack and it included a free sample of marmite and persil non-bio washing tablets. They must be good for baby clothes if the hospital are giving them away.

lou :)

Haha I got that pack when I had my first appt at the hospital.

I react to Persil :roll: gave it to my mum to use.

:) The marmite was nice on toast :)

lol yep i been washing his clothes and ironiong them since i was 20 weeks! every new peice or second hand peice i got ive washed n ironed!
they are all in his chest of drawers so they dont get dusty... i recently washed all of his blankets too! i wouldnt wear clothes straight out of a shop so i dont suppose i'd ever put him in brand new clothes either (unless i was out and very desperate if u know what i mean!)

Hi,

I,ve been advised to wash the clothes at least twice before putting little one in them due to their sensitive skins. Also in relation to the fabric conditioner I know that it is not advised for real nappies (which should also be washed 2 before use to make them more absorbant) as this can reduce absorbancy, but am not sure for the rest of the clothes? Guess I might as well get used to all the extra washing now rather than later.

In every baby pack I have recieved washing powder tablets (normally fairy or persil), marmite and breast pads. Guess that's the rest of our lives sorted, breast pads and washing powder (though marmite is always welcome here).

I haven't managed to get my hands on any of these free packs yet. I've tried in Mothercare and Boots with those vouchers you got at the first ante-natal appointment in Bath and Bristol but everytime I've tried to cash them in they've run out of the packs :(. I don't think they'll let you order them off the Bounty site as I tried that too. Without a car it's a bit tricky to get to the physical shops a lot so we tend to just shop online and don't go past real shops very often. How easy has everyone else found it to actually get the packs?

+++

I have found it pretty easy but I'm always in the shops, and they seem to have loads of them here (in the midlands). Hope you manage to get hold of them, thinks its a bit stupid you can't get them online. Good luck xx

I havent had any free washing powder or marmite and i love marmite!! havent even seen where i can get them from!!

Well peeps, it looks like I'm going to be busy doing the washing this weekend!!!! I was hoping everyone was going to say 'No we're not washing our new baby clothes' DOH!!!

Newbump - I got my free washing powder etc with the free packs you get. The midwife gave me vouchers at my 10wk booking in appointment. I got one from Mothercare and one from Bounty (which I picked up in Boots).
I've also recently joined the Boots pregnancy club (should have leaflets in their stores) and am waiting for them to send me a pack.
Don't miss out on these as they are free and you deserve them!!!! Ask your midwife and if she can't help you I'm sure she'll know someone who can!! xxx

P.S I didn't get any marmite in mine!!! Sob Sob :cry:

Hiya

Ive always washed and conditioned all babies clothes before they wear them. Can't do it yet because we still havnt bought a thing, how good have we been !!

As for the Freebies...our antenatal Department at MK hospital has stacks of them and says Take as many as you like..mmmmmm more marmite !!

Ragna xxx

I've had 4 of those free packs, but no marmite

Looks like the marmite is a favourite, Ragna you're going to have to help us poor marmiteless ladies out here!! lol

I also seem to get ovaltine in my packs, but I prefer horlicks!!

I washed everything of Ava's beforehand with laundry detergent made for infants(Dreft or Baby ALL).

i got my free pack when i was about 12 weeks then i got that emmas diary (by bounty) thingy in a midwife pack and it had a thing in it o register with bounty...so i did then at about 25 weeks i got a big box from bounty via the postman! was a nice suprise

Hey Amber!!

I bet you had fun trying to iron all those beautiful dresses that Ava has!!!

Well I spent all of Saturday washing Bubble's clothes!! And all of Sunday ironing them!!! I used Persil Non Bio in the end without any fabric conditioner.

A little tip - Buy more pegs!!! It was a lovely hot day on Sat but I couldn't hang everything I'd washed out to dry because I didn't have enough pegs. I've never had this problem when washing mine and OH's clothes but obviously because baby clothes are much smaller you can get double the amount in the washing machine and so will need double the amount of pegs to hang them all out to dry!! DOH!!!!

LOL XXXXX

I have washed and ironed all my stuff as well, dont normally do ironing just when needed, but somehow its differant with tiny things.
I havent been able to get my freebie packs from boots or mother care either and have tried nearly every week since my booking in appointment, I am in West Yorkshire, thought it was just a problem round here :D

the best non bio poweder is persil, and if used with yellow lenor it smells soo lovely!!

fairy non bio i found to be really crap, it didnt get out any stains or marks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back