Was my theory on ovulation all wrong?!!

KeLe101

Reaction score
I was convinced I ovulated towards the end of my last period because I had the stringy ewcm and the only other time I knew I was ovulating was at the end of the previous months period, when I did get pregnant, but had an early miscarriage.
Anyway, I figured I would get AF Tuesday/Wednesday of this week as that would be 14 days(ish) from when I think I ovulated. But, I've had no AF and although I keep getting slight cramps now and again, I think it's just trapped wind! :oops:
So I can't have ov'd when I thought I did, can I? You will always get AF after ov'ing 10-14 days after won't you? I am soooo confused. I have been doing ov tests to see if I am oving later than I first thought, but just had negatives (so I know I'm not pregnant either!). I think I may be having one of those cycles beginning with "A" which means you don't actually ovulate - sorry, I can't even begin to spell it!!!
Can you ovulate, but take longer than 14 days to get AF?

You certainly can. The time from when you ovulate to when AF arrives is called your 'luteal phase'. It's normally between 9 and 16 days long, and the longer it is, the better your chances of conceiving apparently - a shorter luteal phase might not give the fertilised egg a proper chance to implant. My cycle was always 30 or 31 days long, because I have a long luteal phase - around 16 days if I ov'ed when I think I did (I never charted, just based it on my CM and levels of horny-ness!!)

Hope that makes sense!!

KeLe101, would you consider temping? It's the only completely clear way of seeing when you have ovulated. You could start straight away and have even more info for next month. I would be surprised if you ov'd when you thought you did. I sometimes have what you described to but it isn't related to my ovulation. What is your usual cycle length?

B X

:wave: Thanks for the replies girls, it's good to know that you can go up to 16 days after ov, and I know it's not good to have a short luteal phase, so the longer the better I guess!!

I have just started temping - 2 days, so far! I am not sure if I am doing it right cos I did it later this morning because I had a lie-in, and the day before I was snoozing my alarm for about 40 minutes (I like sleep!) and so I guess I was kind of awake before I did the temp. I'm going to stick with it though and see what it reveals. I've set up a chart on FF, but I'm not sure how I add it to my signature so others can see it? Any ideas?

KeLe101 said:
:wave: Thanks for the replies girls, it's good to know that you can go up to 16 days after ov, and I know it's not good to have a short luteal phase, so the longer the better I guess!!

I have just started temping - 2 days, so far! I am not sure if I am doing it right cos I did it later this morning because I had a lie-in, and the day before I was snoozing my alarm for about 40 minutes (I like sleep!) and so I guess I was kind of awake before I did the temp. I'm going to stick with it though and see what it reveals. I've set up a chart on FF, but I'm not sure how I add it to my signature so others can see it? Any ideas?

Hello,

Go to 'sharing' on the left hand side and click the 'RSS Feed' button. That will give you a link to copy and paste into your signature.

Bx

Thanks Becs. Think I've done it....hopefully it will be attached to this message!! It's a mid cycle (or what I think was my cycle!) chart, but I figured I may as well start it straight away for practice!!

It's hard to tell much from two temps but it's interesting how you have had such a huge rise today. I wonder if you just ov'd yesterday. :think: Hmmm, will keep stalking you. Nice to have another chartstalker.

Bx x

Mmmm, not sure what the different temps mean to be honest, if you (or anyone else who charts?!) could give me a brief idea of what I'm looking for, I'd be very grateful. :D
I did an opk earlier today and it was not quite as dark as the control line, but very, very close - do you think this also means I have ov'd yesterday and that's why I'm getting a line still? It's all so confusing!!!!

My luteul phase is 18 days long on a ''perfect'' 28 day cycle, there is no normal.

Basically you are looking for a clear temp shift which shows you have ov'd. Yes, your line could show that you have picked up the tail end of the luthenising hormone. Lets see if your temps trend at this new height. If you ov'd yesterday or this morning then maybe you will not get AF for a while yet. Glad you are temping, you'll be able to see the woods throught the trees soon.

X X X

Do the OV tests definitely pick up pregnancy? I'm not sure...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back