Was my midwife naughty?

Daydreaming

Reaction score
Hi y'all

Had my 31 week app yesterday. Routine stuff: blood pressure fine, pee fine, heart beat all ok. Baby is laying transverse at the moment (across belly) and midwife wants baby to start facing down - I know there is time still for baby to move so trying not to worry about it :)

In general chitchat I was saying how we don't know the sex but I have bets on boy and hubs has bets on a girl, after hearing the heartbeat midwife say "I agree with your husband". Now - my mum said this is naughty because heartbeat rates are meant to be able to highlight is baby is boy or girl - but I thought that was only literally just before birth. We don't want to know the sex, so I am hoping midwife was just going with an old wives tale/a hunch rather than going by fact. Do you think she was naughty? Should I ask her next time I see her? :eh:

Also - ideas for getting baby head down? I have a ball I can start bouncing on...

I thought the heartbeat thing was a myth unless it's actually during labour. X

Midwife was a bit naughty as you don't want to know the sex, I would be a bit annoyed!

I think sleeping on your left side is supposed to help egt baby head down, there are quite a few things you can do, maybe search online. I have a book upstairs they gives you a few, but difficult to explain on here :) x x

Last edited:
She was just guessing hun, I'm a midwife and there is no way you can tell from the heartrate, it varies with every baby. She was probably just having a guess, she's hit 50% chance of being right though! Lol :) xx

My midwife told me at my 17 week appointment with her that she thought I was having a girl from the heart rate, but he in fact a boy! Although ur midwife was a bit naughty saying it as u are staying team yellow.

As for baby lying transverse, have they been that way a lot? My baby was lying transverse on Monday but today he is back head down. Think bouncing on a ball is meant to help as is not slouching back on the sofa. Xxx

Think bouncing on a ball is meant to help as is not slouching back on the sofa. Xxx

But I love slouching on the sofa!!!!!

My Sausage does like being sidewards, but I have felt them kick all over so it isn't like he/she is always there. But I guess as that is their fav position we need to start changing it before they run out of room.

Thanks for the mdiwife responses - I figured it was more likely to be based on an old wives tale, but I still think the midwife needs to be careful as some people could get offended.

I'd be furious with my MW to be honest...... It's hard enough to stay team yellow??

Although it will be interesting to see if she is right :lol:

xxxxxxxxx

I don't think you can tell from HB as my sons was like they say it is for a girl and my daughters is like for a boy lol

Don't worry about position yet, I'm panicing a bit coz this LO has gone from transverse, to oblique, to breech :wall2: MW said to me yesterday that if she isn't head down by 36 weeks she will start to worry lol No advice re: turning though, think the babies just lay how they are most comfortable. MWs and doctors can force them to turn but they usually turn back within hours, if they turn at all!! Little buggers lol

xxxx

As far as I'm concerned, people, midwives included, can say what they like and I won't believe a word of it until I see LO's cheeky bits in the flesh, as it were :shock:

Don't let it bother you - she probably didn't even think that what she was saying had a shred of truth in it either, so she probably didn't realise that you might be a little annoyed by her saying it. Yay for team yellow!

As for positioning - spending time on all fours can help, I think, and try putting your bum in the air and your chin on your hands on the floor. If you google it, there's lots of info. I have no idea what position mine is in - I still think the little beast is all over the shop at the moment, thumping around in all sorts of places. I'm just praying it will be OK in the end. :) x

Cheers gang.

I wasn't bothered about it until my mum mentioned it. In fact when the midwife said girl, I just said "naaah, deffo boy". It is prob good we had another girl vote actually as EVERYONE except hubs says boy... I may have one gender confused girly by the end!

I'll stay blissfully ignorant :)

My MW said that was just an old wives tale. x x

And I am the same as you - boy all the way for me!! I would be SO surprised if a little girl popped out!

My midwife thought it was a girl until I told her it was a boy so I am guessing you can't tell :)

I wouldn;t let it bother you too much, you will have a beautiful baby at the end regardless of if it has boy bits or girlie bits :) xxx

she is naughty thats not fair, she shouldnt be aloud to say that at all if she ruins if for you complain as its a surprise and they can be done for telling you if you dont want to know x x x x

Heartbeat thing is crap as my LO always had a dead low heartbeat which is meant to indicate a boy and she was a girl!

Almost every man and their dog have told me what they think I am having due to various random reasons and I am still just smiling and nodding at them; i agree with KarenC, when Eddie (just name of bumo)is out and about then I will know. x

Threes not much in it hun.... I woot be irritated no one knows for sure until baby is born!!!! Unless she has ultra sound eyes she knows just as much as you and oh lol xx

Ta everyone. Glad that this is the concensus (though you probably would all say it just to make me feel better!) - it was what I thought and now I can go back to my Mothership and tell her to calm down too.

she is naughty thats not fair, she shouldnt be aloud to say that at all if she ruins if for you complain as its a surprise and they can be done for telling you if you dont want to know x x x x

I completely disagree...

Theres no truth what so ever behind heart rate being linked to sex, otherwise I would be having a boy- Im not its a girl....

How can she ruin it for her? Its a 50/50 chance... She hasnt got a crystal ball..

my midwife took the heart beat last week then asked if i knew what i was having.
I said yes a girl. She said yes, the girls heart rate is always a little faster than the boys...good job i knew!
Technically naughty then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back