Midwife predicting the gender - so annoyed

coxm

Reaction score
I am nearly 29 weeks and had a midwife appointment on Tuesday. Everything was fine and the midwife listended to babies heartbeat - she commented that it sounded like a boy to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have not wanted to find out the sex of the baby and am really annoyed. I know that she is just haning this on the fact the heartbeat was slow around 125 and they say boys have a slower beat. How much truth is in it all I dont know!!!! Has anyone else experienced this?? I have kept on saying I dont mind what it is but if i am totally honest i would be exstatic if it was a girl, which now I feel guilty about. I have got SPD and have had it from very early on and I travel about 1 hour and 40 mins to work each day and back again which is doing nothing for my moods adn I still have 7 weeks until I go on mat leave. I feel guilty for wanting a girl resentful that it might be a boy. I feel bad just writing this. Has anyone else felt like this or am I just a really bad person?

my mw did the same hun and everytime i had an appointment she siad "she this she that" and i did have a girl, i asked her after if she did know or was it just something she said and she just smiled and said "good guess" so i dont know to this day if she did know or not

hey hon - i'm expecting a boy, and his heart rate is nearly always somewhere in the region of 140/150 - so don't set too much store by what your mw has said. although she definitely shouldn't have said anything at all :x

:hug: :hug:

i asked mine to guess from the heart rate and she said its crap :D mine has a slow heart rate and is in fact a girl so i tend to believe her that its crap.

i think if theres any truth to it, then its not until the final weeks that its at all an accurate way to guess

I asked the same weeks and weeks ago and was more or less told it's rubbish so don't worry!

Thanks girls, I was sure it was pretty much rubbish but these people are meant to be the ones with all the knowledge !!!!!!!!!!!!! worrying. The baby is also laying in the transverse position which can be pretty painful especially coz of the SPD, im sure he/she will move as I really dont fancy a C section. Im in a right old pickle this week I have no idea where all this worry has suddenly come from. Im sure it will pass. Thanks again for all your responses does help. xxx

I got told my baby had a boy heart beat but was in the postion of a girl - Old wives tales i think! I think either my baby is confssed or the midwife is!

I wouldn't worry about it x x x

mine is 120-140 which is quite slow and she's a girl, dont worry about it!!

but you should prepare yourself that it could be either. Would you not want to get a sexing scan done so you can adjust your thinking if it was a boy? I never wanted a boy but everyone was convinced mine would be a boy and i came around to it in the end...only to find out we're expecting a girl :cheer:

I have thought about getting a sexing scan done - but part of me feels I have waited this long another couple of months isnt going to make any difference plus my husband is not overkeen on knowing. I had also thought that the not knowing might be something to spure me on in labour! Maybe I will have a rethink though. I know deep down I will love it what ever it is, i think im just having a bit of a hormonal week. x

Its been right for both of mine, but i still think its a load of rubbish!

At least your sonographer didnt tell you at the scan without asking. :x

there is a thread in the ask-a-mum section on being disappointed with the sex...you'll see there are many others who have wanted one sex or the other and feel guilty about it...so you're not alone

this one is about 150 - 160 and it's a boy. So it's rubbish hun

Yeah I wouldn't get too upset over it, bunch of b*llocks if you ask me!

they do have very different sounding heartbeats though...my twins have had very different sounding heartbeats from the start...I think BPM to sex a baby isnt much to go off!!! The midwife shouldnt of said that to you if you didnt want to know the sex of your baby!

I really wanted a girl so I decided very early on to consider bump as a boy. That way I wouldn't be disappointed. I have to say it has worked and I'd now be equally happy with a boy or a girl, which was not the case before. This last week I have thought of it as a girl from time to time as I realised it had got to the point where it would be weird if it was a girl :D

I recommend you start thinking of LO as a boy. After a while it will seem OK
:hug:
And ignore all the old wives tales! :D

i mentioned to my sonographer at my 20week scan that one of my midwifes said baby was a boy and she said it was cos his heartbeat was around the 130 mark.the sonographer said its a load of old rubbish and dont believe old wives tales and 2 other midwives on the team said the same :rotfl:

I was told my eldest daughter was almost certainly a boy based on her hb :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I wouldnt believe it, like every other old wives tale....its a 50-50 chance either way :lol:

Not at all, its normal to favour one sex more. I wanted a boy this time as i have a boy then two girls. Another reason was my son has disabilities and i wanted to experience what it would be like to have a boy with no problems. Course i wont love my older son any less but i was very happy when they said it was a boy. It would have been nice to have a girl and i would not have loved her any less but this is my last child as well.
Midwifes have a habit of guessing they mean well its a old wifes tale about heart beat like other methods of predicting sex of baby. Its 50/50 what sex baby is.

marie x
35+2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back