Warning to all shoppers!

Momma`Kat

Reaction score
DO NOT GOTO MOTHERCARE WITHOUT SOMEONE WHO HAS ALREADY HAD A BABY.

:)

Mothercare, is a torture dungeon for first time moms/dads.

Want a bath?

Well come and pick from the 20 different styles, and do you want a top and tail basin, and a specially tri shaped sponge, and ear syringes, and this foam support, or this terry towel support, or this plastic support, or do you just want a bath mat with an inflateable support, or an inflateable bath !?

Want a playpen or bouncy chair?

Well we have ones that vibrate, ones that rock, ones that sing, ones that have toys, ones that play songs, ones you can record your voice on, one that has 5 adjustable positions, one that has a removable tray for weaning, one that is one wheels, one that flatpacks for travel

OR

We have donut playmats, and flat playmats, and playmats with borders and playmats with crinkly tabs, and play mats with dangle toys, and play mats that sing, and playmats that play music, and playmats that are wipe clean, and playmats that are super soft

OR

We have baby bean bags!

Oh and did we mention that we are going to charge you extorninate prices for all of this, While providing NO customer service?

------------------------

So , Guess where I went today :) Lol

I went in to mothercare to buy a baby bath, and a bouncy chair. I have no clue what i need on a baby bath or a bouncy chair, and with everything blaring infront of me like that, I failed to make a decision.

None of the staff were willing to help me, simply to point out all the different things they had. I ended up cross legged on the floor in tears.

So I gave up on the idea, And got a bath thermometer, and a nursery thermometer, because those were the ONLY thing they didnt have hundreds of variety of.

Oh.. And I decided to treat myself to some new underwear. Got some yummy socks, (Yes i get excited over socks) pants, and decided to get a maternity bra as mine is ridiculously tight now.

I asked one of the staff if they could do a measuring for me as I wasnt sure what size I am.. The response?

"There is a measuring tape in the changing room and instructions on the door"

Well thanks..

Anyway, got what i think is right, it feels right anyway. And a new top, So im feeling SEXYYY ! :D Along with my new tummy support bands..Which I like.. But im not sure how much support they really give.

Oh and I got a free pack of nappies from tescos with my voucher to cheer myself up for a failed trip that i was SO excited about this morning :(

Aw hon - sounds like u got crappy service! i've got a 2 yr old - anytging specific you wnated to know what we got?

You mentioned baths - we did have a top and tail bowl but only used it for 2 or 3 weeks or so I think. We bought a pretty standard baby bath and used that for about 4 months until H was too big for it.

Chair / bouncer wise. H had both. Got a cheap, basis bouncer which was fine and then shair wise we got one that swings which he liked lots - helped him to chill out and played nice music.

Hope that helps - I'm sure others got totally different stuff tho x x x

Oh I love allll the choice!! I would have been in heven! Lol beat thing to do though is pick one from the mag then go in and compare prices on the ones with the same features case there is a sale on then nothing is chucked at you I would suggest a baby chair that swings with light music or voice record but as long as it swings lol! Vibrate is alrite don't get me wrong but the swing settled my kids straight away! I recomend the rainforst swinger anyday they are lush and play soft or louder music and rock but you can adjust the rock on it so it's not too vigourous lol! Coz baby is constantally moving when you carry them they like the motion also the harness is adjustable and lasts forever my two and one year old have been swinging in the one I put up so sturdy - the cover comes off and is machine washable also it folds up and can be put out the way when you don't want it lol! As far as a baby bath goes just get a large plastic one with a design you like - as a first time mum the foam support is great coz it supports the baby with a tiny bit of water and you dint have to worry about a slippy baby lol! Hope this helps x x x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

awww i dont have a clue either.. i just bought that foam thing to lay noa on in the bath so he dont slip away from me..
i think its alot of "you need this" when in shops, but you dont really need alot of them things..

lol! Great post... made me giggle!

Thanks guy,

Bath wise, I saw a lovely winnie the pooh bath, But if i got that i would want the matching accessories, So unless i can talk my mum into buying me the winniw the pooh bath gift set.. im gonna steer clear of that lol. I will probably just get a support to go in the big bath to save some cash.

I do actually have a swinging chair.. But it is JUST a swinging chair, theres no toy rail or music or anything, and its on this big A frame stand. And its really unnatractive but I got it free Lol. I really want a lil bouncing/vibrating chair because in the swing, baby is stuck looking at the ugly white top rail and the ceiling, wheras a chair he could look around.

I have one of those blow up donut playrings aswell though I wont be able to use it for a while, so quite liked the look of those baby bean bags, as just another place to set baby down for a second if i need to!

But i am definately not going in there alone again. I will take my mum, she will talk me out of stupid stuff, AND will give me extra cash LOL

Jacob used his baby bath a handful of times, lol. In the end I just used a bath support, saves space and is so much easier! He doesnt even use his 'big boy' support now he outgrew that one aswell :lol:

As for swings/bouncers I bought a basic swing and Jacob loved that, fisher price one from Argos. And a basic bouncer with a toy bar :) xx

i think lucas used the baby bath about 3 times. I just bought the sponge thing that you lie the baby on and put him in the big bath. It was about £1.50 so save your money and dont bother with the baby bath. As for little chairs, i bought a simple rocking chair for £20 at babies r us, it has 3 seating positions and does the job. I got a take along swing for £40 at a bargain store and he's not really impressed with it. I think the more kids you have, the more you realise that half the stuff out there is expensive shite and really not needed. I just wish it hadn't took me 3 kids to realise this and i had saved my money lol xx

lololololol! this made me laugh! i hope my local mothercare is a bit more helpful though as i have no clue either! *hugs* xx

I went in the other day with my OH to look for a decent travel system with height-varying handles iykwim?
Well, she had every bloody pram off the display, in bits, put together again, and then fabric samples, payment plans, toys for the pram, blankets, baby clothes, pyjamas, baskets rockers... We were like..... we only walked in for 10 mins to look at pram handles ffs!! :shock:

I went in the other day with my OH to look for a decent travel system with height-varying handles iykwim?
Well, she had every bloody pram off the display, in bits, put together again, and then fabric samples, payment plans, toys for the pram, blankets, baby clothes, pyjamas, baskets rockers... We were like..... we only walked in for 10 mins to look at pram handles ffs!! :shock:

Exactly ! They just throw everything at you as fast as they can so you get confused and just agree to what they say. Its a noted sales technique (And its how i got stuck with a mobile phone i didnt need to buy in the first place, let alone get a contract i never use.. )

Exactly ! They just throw everything at you as fast as they can so you get confused and just agree to what they say. Its a noted sales technique (And its how i got stuck with a mobile phone i didnt need to buy in the first place, let alone get a contract i never use.. )

If my OH hadn't been there she'd have sold me a £500 MyChoice travel system with a choice of 3 or 4 wheels, and a choice of colours xD LMAOO :shock:

Yeeah like I said, Dont go alone! Go with someone who has preferable had a baby, so can tell you what is useless crap LOL

I'm on baby number 2 and I'm still a bit clueless as to what I need sometimes lol xx

to be fair its all useless crap!! There is nothing on the market more effective than a mothers embrace. All a baby needs is a mothers love, cuddles, milk and warmth...........meh, the other stuff makes our life easier tho :rofl:

Seriously tho, don't be taken in by the pretty colours, soft fabrics and soft music (says the nappy addict) i have a load of stuff i have never used nor had any need for xx

:lol: I've got a million baby toys and you don't always need to buy new :) xx

Oooo, I love Mothercare but you're right, all they are interested in is selling to you XD I must be lucky down here, the staff are really helpful and you can squeeze the information that you need out of them from around the sales pitch. As for a baby bath, I got one for £4.99 from a charity shop! And TBH, I didn't buy it, my step sister did, she's so looking forward to being an auntie and she's only 13 :D I got a bouncer free from a friend and all I need now is a toy arch that I can attatch to it some how! Wooo shopping!

xxx

i think mothercare is just an expense i can do without i get most stuff second hand other than new cot n pram

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back