Warm Front - Heating grant for your house

Sherlock

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here as more people are likely to see it.

I've just applied, no idea if I qualify but I thought there was no harm in asking :) Anyone else applied for this and been succesful? Or turned down? Or still waiting to hear back? Maybe its a total crock but it only took me 2 minutes and its a Freepost address, so not even the price of a stamp.

Bit of blurb about Warm Front and who it may apply to. Visit the webpage HERE

Warm Front leaflet and application form

Warm Front is a government-funded scheme which provides grants to make homes warmer, healthier and more energy-efficient.

Applying for a Warm Front Grant of up to £2,700, and having a Benefit Entitlement Check to see if you are entitled to extra income, can make a significant improvement to how comfortable and healthy it is to live in your home.

You may qualify for a Warm Front Grant if you own your own home or rent it from a private landlord and:
you are 60 or over
you have a disability or long term ill health, or
you have a child under 16

You must be in receipt of certain income-related or disability related benefits, pension or tax credits to qualify (see the application form for the full list).

What does the Warm Front Grant provide?

All Warm Front improvements are energy-efficient, you will receive two low energy-efficient lightbulbs and energy efficiency advice. Depending on what your home needs, you could also receive a combination of the following:

Insulation improvements
Loft insulation and top-ups
Draughtproofing
Cavity-wall insulation
Hot water tank insulation

Heating improvements
Gas, electric or oil central heating
Boiler repairs or replacements
Gas or electric heaters

To apply for a Warm Front Grant, please complete the application form and return it (no stamp required) to:

eaga plc (MK723)
Freepost NAT 13708
Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 1ZL

Download Warm Front application form in PDF format

Fab service especially for home owners who usually get a bum deal with benefits/grants I have heard only good things about this service so if you qualify go for it.

Just FYI if you rent privately your landlord would need to commit to a longer fixed term before they agree to the work (usually min 5yrs depending on what they will do) :D

My OH works for the company that run the scheme so if anyone wants more info I can ask him :D

I'm not sure we qualify but OH has done it online so we'll see!
We're not working but no one will help with regards to benefits so i'm sure we won't get it.

Would they help with Hot water? We have a boiler and the only thing we can do to have hot water is to switch it on for 1hour and half and then we get enough to have a bath...(we share bath water and can only afford hot baths 2 times a week. other than that we use the cold tap for washing and washing hair!!!!) Would they install a shower one with a pull cord that heats the water immediately? It would save us loads and be so much better! The landlord would agree to the 5year lease thing.

nickilubs said:
Would they help with Hot water? We have a boiler and the only thing we can do to have hot water is to switch it on for 1hour and half and then we get enough to have a bath...(we share bath water and can only afford hot baths 2 times a week. other than that we use the cold tap for washing and washing hair!!!!) Would they install a shower one with a pull cord that heats the water immediately? It would save us loads and be so much better! The landlord would agree to the 5year lease thing.

It says boiler insulation, repairs or replacement. It doesn't say anything about showers. I know you can get reasonably cheap electric showers these days, would your landlord not consider fitting one if you went halves with him or something?

What about heating? Would that help you out if you got a grant? It might heat water also or something.

Have a look at the application form, it only takes a few minutes. At least apply, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sherlock said:
nickilubs said:

It says boiler insulation, repairs or replacement. It doesn't say anything about showers. I know you can get reasonably cheap electric showers these days, would your landlord not consider fitting one if you went halves with him or something?

What about heating? Would that help you out if you got a grant? It might heat water also or something.

Have a look at the application form, it only takes a few minutes. At least apply, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

:) Yeh we will apply. We have plug in heaters not anything fitted but the landlord is really good and will provide us with how ever many we need. We are going to ask the landlord if he would consider getting a shower fitted if we were to buy one and him pay for the plumber to fit it for us. I would think he will agree because if the boiler ever broke then it would be loads of hassle because of where its too in the house...its above the stair case, to get there you would have to put a ladder on the stairs or go from outside in a 4story house! Most of our bills are from the electric heaters and boiler though.

We qualify, our local council are working with Warm Front in our area to provide cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, energy bulbs, carbon monoxide alarms to every house.

We had a paper based survey done to see what we needed then an actual surveyor came round to test the cavity wall and to see how much loft insulation we needed then they came back about 3 weeks later to do the job this was in March. We already had loft insulation but they increased it to over the recommended thickness (they basically doubles ours) but we didn't have cavity wall insulation. It was messy but very worth it, our heating hasn't been over 18oC so far even last week when it was -7oC. In Maia's room we turn the radiator off when she goes to bed and it stays a constant 19-20 oC and never falls below 18oC during the night either.

Was funny when they came to fit the loft insulation, well actually at the time it wasn't funny but looking back now it is funny. They guy up in the loft came through our roof. Good job he didn't come all the way through as he could have seriously hurt himself as he would have fallen in between the banister and gone right to the bottom hallway, it was only his first day too :lol: :oops:

I would recommend everyone apply I can really tell a difference in our home and good luck with your application.

Thanks for this Sherlock

Have applied but...Does this only apply to home owners and privately rented? We are housing association and they are crap to put it bluntly and due to us doing a mutual exchange are saying we are not allowed any works on our house for the first year "taken as seen" how ridiculous is that with two young children!! and we cant even use the solid fuel fire as backup as it would be condemned under health and safety!

Thanks for any responses
Take care
Kathy

which program do i open it with? i tried wordpad but that is just nonsense

mibiuk said:
Thanks for this Sherlock

Have applied but...Does this only apply to home owners and privately rented? We are housing association and they are crap to put it bluntly and due to us doing a mutual exchange are saying we are not allowed any works on our house for the first year "taken as seen" how ridiculous is that with two young children!! and we cant even use the solid fuel fire as backup as it would be condemned under health and safety!

Thanks for any responses
Take care
Kathy

I can't say. The best thing I can suggest is to call the helpline and ask any Qs of them there. Sorry I can't help more. I only know what it says on the webpage and what I've been told which is particular to my situation.

trixipaws said:
which program do i open it with? i tried wordpad but that is just nonsense

I just open it in my browser with a right click and choose the option and it opens in a Preview setting. But I am using a Mac and Opera browser. We copy and printed off the form section, but OH did that and it appeared magically in front of my nose to fill in and sign. Sorry I can't help more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back