Vitamin D - confused

Lynds77

Reaction score
My doc asked me yesterday if I was giving baby Vitamin D supplements. He said I should speak to pharmacist about it. I did ask pharmacist but she wasn't sure so I am going to ask HV tomorrow when I see her

I thought they got all the vits they needed from formula milk? I took vitD tabs when I was breast feeding.

Google isn't helpful. Do any of you give it to your babies?

No you dot need to gve anything as if you're formula feeding or ready feeding up til 6 months they get all they need

After 6 months I was advised if breast feeding to give baby multivitamins (comes in a liquid) as they may not get all they need until they're fully weaned but formula already has the vitamins required in it

Jack has been having a spoonful of vitamins since he turned 6 months. Just to give him an extra boost more than anything. At first I mixed it into his breakfast in the morning because the flavour was horrible but I switched brands and he loves the flavour of the new one and has a spoonful before his breakfast every morning. I wouldn't worry about it while your LO is still tiny, they get what they need from formula x

The nhs advises you take vitamin d supplements if you are breastfeeding I believe. Plus a multivitamin when the baby is weaned at 6 months. (The stuff we give t bag stinks bleugh)

I didn't think that you needed to give ff babies anything extra as formula is fortified with vits

I've been advised to start giving Stanley vitamin D supplements in the next few weeks but he's nearly a year old :/ x

I thought the vit d was for all babies once they start weaning. Especially as they will start dropping milk once you wean. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

My lo is still taking over 500 ml of formula a day so he is fine but once they drop.milk intake, you should give them vitamins

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

There is a enough Vit D in baby formula

Breastfeeding mums are told to get vit d supplements.

There was a report recently saying theres a very rise in the percentage of children with vit d deficency due to the fact they are wearing such high sunscreen. Can anyone ever win :)

So if you have baby out and about a good bit of the day they shoudl be fine as thats where the most Vit D is gotten from xx

Thank you for this thread!! While they are on 600mls of formula they don't need anything else. After 6 months of bf, I think they need a topup of iron and vit d.
I have had vitamin drops in the cupboard for ages - as mine is on cow's milk now - I don't think she needs it as she has a good diet but am giving it to her as a wee boost! But totally forgot about them until now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back