Pregnancy Lifesaver

Cat&Noah

Reaction score
Right people I have discovered the pregnancy miracle cure for everything!!

Vitamin B6 has been know for years to help with morning sickness, I had never tried it before but started taking it yesterday, and so far (touch wood) havent felt sick at all. On further research I have found out not only how it works, but also how it helps a number of other illnesses that can afflict us pregnant women such as mood swings, carpel tunnel, and blood clots, not to mention can prevent some birth defects! So take a read:

First and foremost, it acts as a coenzyme in protein metabolism. As such, it helps in the transformation of amino acids to form active biogenic amines such as histamine, serotonin, dopamine and adrenaline. Similarly, to remove an acid group from glutamic acid to form gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). Subsequent studies have found that GABA acts on the presynaptic nerve terminals to inhibit the release of exicatory neurotransmitters and thereby having a calming effect.

Vitamin B6 is also vital in the formation of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids from essential fatty acids and in the conversion of tryptophan into nicotinic acid. Similarly, it is needed to incorporate iron into haemoglobin and to transfer methinonine into energy thereby avoiding an excessive accumulation of homocysteine which is toxic.

Considering that vitamin B6 is involved in so many biochemical processes, it does not come as a surprise that vitamin B6 supplements are useful in treating a great variety of mental and physical disorders. First of all, it seems to be helpful in preventing the development of heart disease by inhibiting platelet aggregation and by prolonging clotting time. Furthermore, it prevents arterial blockage by reducing homocysteine levels which are associated with clot formations. It is believed that about one person in seven is prone to high homocysteine accumulation. It has also been found to have cholesterol-lowering effect, particularly when taken in doses of up to 400mg per day. Conversely, a low vitamin B6 is associated with an increased risk of developing coronary heart disease.

As vitamin B6 is intimately involved with immune system function, supplements have been found to be helpful in the prevention and treatment of asthma and other allergy-related disorders. For example, an experimental study on 76 asthmatic children concluded that children who received 100mg vitamin B6 daily, showed a significant symptom improvement and a reduction in the dosage of bronchodilator and cortisone required to relieve their symptoms.

Vitamin B6, up to 75mg per day, has been found to be beneficial in treating nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. Considering that pyridoxine deficiency during pregnancy is not that unusual, this finding is particularly relevant. In fact, studies estimate that up to 50% of pregnant t women may have a low pyridoxine status and, according to laboratory measurements, they needed 20mg vitamin B6 supplements per day to keep their pyridoxine levels in the normal range . Even more worrying aspects concerning these findings are that infants born to mothers with low vitamin B6 intake could be born with foetal abnormalities, suffer from seizures, or have low scores of general condition ratings.

Vitamin B6 is an absolutely vital component in the conversion of tryptophan to serotonin. Not only that, but in order for tryptophan to be metabolised properly, it requires the presence of this vitamin. Therefore, an insufficient vitamin B6 intake is responsible for both low tryptophan and serotonin levels. Ever increasing research evidence is associating a low vitamin B6 intake with depression, a low tryptophan level with both depression aggression and low serotonin levels with depression, aggression and suicidal behaviour.

Vitamin B6 supplements, up to 30mg per kg body weight, are particularly useful in treating children suffering from hyperactivity. Similarly, in treating autistic children. One double-blind crossover study on 16 autistic children found that their behaviour improved whilst on vitamin B6 supplements and consequently deteriorated on withdrawal. Vitamin B6 supplements are also used for lowering oxalate levels on patients prone to oxaluric stone formation. Furthermore, when taken at 100-300mg per day it has been successful in treating carpal tunnel syndrome. Vitamin B6 supplements have been found to be particularly beneficial in reducing symptoms associated with pre-menstrual syndrome. Likewise In treating depression due to hormonal preparations containing oestrogen such as the contraceptive pill. Oestrogen leads to depression because it does not only block vitamin B6 activity but also accelerates the metabolism of tryptophan, thereby leading to low serotonin levels and hence to symptoms associated with these.

does it zap useless "dads" off the face of the earth? :roll:

:D

Must remember that when and if i get my BFP
Thanks Cat

My doc also recommended B6 with B1 for pregnancy sickness. It is totally safe because any excess your body doesn't use gets weed out :)

i have a 'super malt' drink everday...

back home (in jamaica) they recommend 'malta' for pregnant ladies...

but i thought its was tradition..

now i know why..

supermalt has a nice blend of b vitamins.. and its yummy too :cheer:

Think I will definately be trying this, thanks for the advise ! :D

thanx for that, may try some of these!

sarahxxx

my Oh picked up some B6 for me yesterday but it says to ask your doc first? have you all done this or is it ok?

x

Personally I havent asked my doctor, cause B6 is perfectly healthy in pregnancy. The reason why many tablets herbal or chemical say this, is because by law unless thay have undergone full trials on pregnant women and had all the oficial paperwork and approval done, you are not alowed to say otherwise. Hence why things like hairdyes say not to use while pregnant, bacause they have not gone through the trials they cant say otherwise, incase someone somewhere miscarries and blames it on the hair dye and sues.

I got some from Tesco last nigt but they are only 10mg one a day ones. That was all they had. Will have to send my OH to Holland & Barrett at the weekend

I do have to add that I think they may be better for nausea or prevention as I started taking them in the full throes of sickness but they didn't help. What has helped however are strong but safe antihistamines, they are called Prometazin ERA 25mg and my doc put me on them but I am in Denmark and I don't know if docs in the UK let you have them. They had an accumalitive effect and i took them everyday up unti the 3rd tri and if I missed one (i took them at night because they make you tired) I would be sick the whole of the next day. I have strated being sick again this last week and took one last night and although I've been slightly nauseous today I haven't thrown up so I can't reccommend them enough! Check with your own doc though :wink:

WOW ! ! why haven't we been told this by our Dr's or MW's? mmmm? i think i shall be adding these to my shopping list. . . lots of plus things and no negatives as far as i read here... thanks cat :D

i take pregnancy care tablets from superdrug they have vit b6 in them but maybe its not enough as ive been really poorly last few weeks xxxx

Well I read this post and was in town before so went to H&B. Picked up a 100 tab jar of 100mg ones for £5.99 she said ooooooo you best get 2 100 tab jars of the 50mg so your getting the same amount but there on offered for £2.78!!!

Bargin me thinks so everyone get down to H&B asap as she said in mine ''there is no signs as we are changing our offers every few days at the moment''

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back