Very early scan, no heart beat present

LuckyStar2016

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you`re doing well and your little bundle too :)

To start with i must say according to my missed period i must`ve been somewhere about 9 weeks and according to ttc i might have been somewhere about 11 weeks.
We went for my first scan and they couldn`t find a baby, therefore performed an internal scan, they found a very tiny baby measuring around 6 weeks but couldn`t hear its heart beat, they told me that the gestational sac is very well formed at this stage but by the looks the baby has died at 5 weeks. How can that add up, my mind is blown away....
They made it very clear that the chance of baby being alive is very slim and to prepare for the worst, but as i`m one of the luckiest they have given me another 10 days and to go back for an ultrasound to see if there are any changes and mind this space - they arranged me an appointment at the hospital where these cases go (the miscarriages).
However i have had no cramping or any sign of miscarrying thank God, but my morning sickness has gone quiet a while ago as well as i can eat the things that i absolutely couldn`t when i had the symptoms (all this happened sometime before the scan).
Me and my hubby were in great shock. The following day i phoned up where i had my scan done and asked them to look up at my records as there were no records left on my maternity book and they told me that they couldn`t discuss it with me if there were records left on the system and that all sounds well not to have any entries on my book, as they would have left if there was anything to worry about. How strange does this sound, feel like another mystery left there to think about.
Despite all this this is my 3rd child and myself being quiet short and slim i believe each time you conceive babies are smaller than the first one.
Six days have passed five more to go, i`m trying to stay positive and hoping for the best but ever since i was left in stress and negative thoughts which got me worried what if all this alone create a negative outcome of those cold sonographers.
P.S. they even didn`t offer me to have the photo printed. The gestational sac was very large and baby looked very tiny (even tinier than a bean) and i didn`t drink enough water that morning tbh and wouldn`t my body miscarry itself by this time.

Any thoughts much appreciated
Thanks xx

Last edited:
I can't relate here but didn't want to read & run. My fingers are crossed for you x

So sorry you're going through this. Miscarriage can be a long drawn out experience and sometimes the body takes a long time to realise the pregnancy is over before the bleeding starts. In some cases the body can't miscarry for itself and needs some medical/surgical intervention.
Hope things turn out well for you xx

So sorry for what you are dealing with. Is there any chance the dates are wrong and you are only 5 weeks along? Honestly the difference between a baby that is 5 or 6 weeks along and one that is 9-11 weeks along is huge, both in size and development. There is no chance they could mistake a 9 week baby for a 6 week one. The only chance is that you are not as far along as you think and it was too early to see the heart beat. Because that happens sometimes they won't 100% confirm its a MC until you have a second scan.

Unfortunately it isnt that uncommon for the body to take a long time to let go of the pregnancy. Quite often women find out at their 12 week scan that their baby stopped growing at 5 or 6 weeks. It is called a 'missed miscarriage'. The job of your body is to look after and protect your baby and that is what it is doing. Your body needs to be 100% sure before it lets go.

I had a MC in October. It is heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you.

Thank you all for your replies!!!

Sorry for your loss BunnyN

Yes, it is possible i could have conceived later than i thought and could be that my period was late, as i had symptoms of conceiving sometime after i got a positive pregnancy test, how could that add up i have no idea but that's what it is.
Looking forward to monday

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back