Using a name twice...

Birdie

Reaction score
I'm curious about your opinion.... but in theory, how unacceptable/unimaginative would it be to use #1 son's middle name as a first name for a subsequent child? :)

Last edited:
Personally, I just pick middle names after family names anyway, so I think it's lovely that your first son will have his little brother's name as a middle name.

I think its sweet also, my mum, me and one of my sisters all have Anna at end of our first names i think its cool lol.

Don't see a problem x

I wouldn't myself, but they're your kiddies hun so if you want to then go for it!

:)

XX

I think it's fine and were considering using our sons middle name for the next one should it be a boy. How often is a middle name real used anyway

I was wondering same thing, my little boy is 17 months and called Thomas William, baby boy number 2is due in 6weeks and we have no name at all picked and I keep saying if I hadn't used William as a middle name for Thomas that's what I would be calling him. Instead we are going to have a nameless baby �� x

We are in the same position walkergirl! I'm not sure DH would agree to us doing it but I keep saying that I wish we hadn't used Alexander as our son's middle name, it sounds so great with our surname I feel like it's a bit wasted! My middle name is Alexandra & my nephew has it as a middle name too - so I do think I could justify it being a 'family' name... but I can imagine people thinking it's pretty unimaginative! I'm really torn!

Last edited:
Personally I think reusing a sibling name is not acceptable. There are thousands of names to choose from and your second child deserves his own name. I was the younger sibling and I was never really a jealous kid, but I remember sometimes feeling like nothing was truly mine - clothes were always hand-me-downs and even experiences were things my older sister had done first. At least I had my own name though.

From my older sisters side, I know she sometimes felt I'd come along and taken everything that was hers - her mum's attention, her favourite toys, that pretty jacket that didn't fit her anymore - but at least I hadn't taken part of her identity - her name.

Hopefully your kids will be lovely together but sibling relationships can also be really fraught, and I can imagine this being used as ammunition in a sibling fight from both sides.

If you really love the name you could maybe use it for your younger sons middle name and that would be a nice connection, but I think its a really bad idea to use it as a first name.

I really like it when people use the same middle name for their children.

I wouldn't use it personally but it's your baby so it's really up to you. I do like the sound as the same middle name for all children though.

I don't see the problem with using it. My sister's daughter's first name is the same as my daughter's middle name (my daughter is older by 2 years). Middle names are rarely used except on official forms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back