UPDATED: COMPLETE Change Of Heart!

dannii87

Reaction score
I do not want to scare anyone, but I've heard something terrible & in the space of 10 minutes my opinion has totally changed on this induction thing...

I just got a phone call from my Mum. She said she didn't want to ring me but I'm due to call the MW this afternoon about a time to go for the sweep & scan on Thursday and confirming the dates etc. She wanted to ring before I speak to the MW so I can have chance to mull over what she was about to tell me before I agree to anything.

My Mum's boss's wife works on a labour ward in Harlow hospital and in the last couple of months has experienced a few sudden deaths of babies that went 14 days overdue, 17 days overdue and another at 16 days overdue. (I think there have also been a couple of others). When my Mum was telling her about me getting induced on Saturday, she said "PLEASE tell her not to do it, don't agree to anything past 12 days overdue, in my experience it is NOT worth the risk".

:shock:

She said the placenta REALLY starts to decrease in health after 10 days overdue and so to leave it an extra 2 days is ok, but to leave it up to potentially 16 isn't worth it in her opinion.

OK, so I'll be 15 days overdue when I'm induced and potentially 16 days overdue when I have Miss Evie.

She said that in all cases, there was a heartbeat one second and not the next. The placenta which was keeping these babies alive just packed up suddenly because it was too overdue.

Since that phone call, I do NOT want to go overdue any more than 12 days. I know I'm going to get replies saying "this is rare" etc and I fully understand that, but this is one risk I am NOT willing to take. Evie's health comes above all else, and my fear of induction has literally, just disappeared in the space of 10 minutes.

How likely am I to be heard by my MW? I know she'll tell me it's silly to think this way etc but I am just not willing to risk it and I don't want to leave it 15 days. Do you think she'd get me in earlier or just ignore how I feel and tell me she won't book me in any sooner? xx

when i asked to be induced at 10 days over i was told no they wont even consider you for induction till your 12 days over here and even then they are willing to leave you till 15 days over if they think baby is fine :shock:
it maybe different for where you live though hun :hug:
xx

If your MW doesn't listen...ask to speak to someone else...SERIOUSLY!! You would do it to someone in a call centre if they didn't listen to your concerns and there is even more reason to do so here.

You mentioned in another post that you thought you may be being 'selfish' in your thoughts, well now instead of just been thinking of things from your point you are also seeing them from Evies, so perhaps you have the full picture and a more informed decision. Just incase they try to point out your previous opinions.

I hope she is understanding hun :hug: :hug:

Make sure the M/W listens to you and don't leave until she agrees! Evie is your baby and its your body so you have the right to chose what you want more than they do :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi hun,

Knowing who your MW is I am not sure she'll be particularly understanding if she doesn't agree with this point of view. If not, call the health centre and ask to speak to Jo Sheriff - she is a fab MW. I have got her mobile number, I will PM just in case it's useful to you...

It depends what the policy is at Bedford Hospital (I think this is where you are having Evie!). I had Kayla at Rosie in Cambridge and their policy was to consider induction at T+10 and to definitely induce by T+12 if you wanted to go this route.

It may also be worth giving Bedford Hospital a call to speak to one of the MWs on duty there for advice - I think all the ones in the Beds area operate from that hospital anyway.

Hope it works out OK.

Thanks ladies... :hug:

Jules: She's on holiday so I have another one! She wasn't understanding at all when I said I was scared of induction, she laughed a bit and told me "find me one lady who isn't scared and I'll pay your maternity leave for you!" She brushed how I felt under the carpet and said that I was "being silly and how I felt would change once I am officially in labour" :doh:

Argh.. I'm such a whimp though.. I just seem to accept whatever MWs tell me and never say anything :(

I just can not rest if I have to go 15/16 days overdue after hearing what I've heard today (and I've been reading up on it and everywhere I'm looking says it is not recommended to go past 12 days, 14 days MAX)

xx

Oh babe what a nightmare - she was a total cow when she did our postnantal check. Was it Carol you spoke to today? My MW changed right at the end as she went on maternity leave without even telling me... and as she was slightly large I didn't even realise she was preggers. Useless!!!

I have PM'd you Jo's number. Seriously, give her a call. When no one else took me seriously, she did. She is a God send! The appt I had with her just before I gave birth I was with her for nearly an hour. She listens, explains everything and tries to help where she can.

Actually, call now as I think she does clinic on a Friday afternoon at the health centre...

It is your body and your baby - don't take no for an answer, or at least get someone to listen to your case. Call Bedford to find out their induction policy and if it is +10 or 12, use that as ammo!

And yes, every woman is scared before going into labour and yes, your body does take over and you DO change once you are in the situation, but the damn MW could at least be more sympathetic and try to justify her comments rather than just make them!!!!

xxx

After seeing my placenta 7 days over i agree that theres a risk, if your dates were questionable it might be different, but Tally was definately late and it showed in the palcenta.

Won't they be able to see through the scan/doppler thingy at what stage your placenta is? I do understand your worries, and being a first timer myself I don't have personal experience of myself, but from everything I've read the status of the placenta is not completely related to time passed, in some women they're badly deteriorated before the due date already, in others they keep going strong.

In the end, I guess it's best if you go with what you feel comfortable with. Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Hello :wave:

I'm sure that the MW will change the induction date, if not call the other one. My placenta was on it's way out and I was only 3 days overdue! I know it is rare but just not worth the risk unless they are going to monitor you very, very closely. Hope you don't have any problems changing the date, if you do kick up a massive fuss. Good luck :D

Alex xxx

hiya, is that the princess alexandra hospital in harlow?

I think there must be something behind it as our hospital wont let you go over 12days as a rule so there must be a reason. :hug: I hope it all goes well and you get to have her before 12days over :hug:

Clare & Alex :shock: I'm soooo glad you posted about your placentas! I know it's rare, but it just goes to show!

OK, here's my update! :dance:

I phoned my MW, she was refusing to take any action and just said Saturday was "in the books" and I'm just being over anxious which is normal :wall: She said "yesterday you were worried about having an induction and wanted a few more days, now you are not worried about an iunduction and want her out ASAP?!" :( I know it's true, but I told her my worries had changed and that now I'm more informed of the bigger picture, this is my final decision (like Lu said).

She reluctantly said she'd get a consultant to reassure me on Thursday at my sweep/scan (my sweep isn't even guaranteed, I can only have it if Evie is engaged). I said that's not good enough. I don't want to be reassured, I want my baby out safely within a reasonable time. I told her it's not like I'm 1 day overdue and panicking unecessarily, I could be 16 days overdue by the time she arrives! I don't think that's being silly?!

SO... The final outcome is that I am going to see a Consultant on Tues - She said he still might turn me down for an early induction?! WTF, 13 days overdue isn't EARLY!! Anyway :roll: so he will either say yes I can be induced earlier (I reckon Thursday @ 13 days over), or he'll say no, I have to wait til Saturday (which I will kick up a stink about).

:pray: In the mean time, Evie might make her own appearance (I can't see it happening myself, but there is a chance I suppose!) :pray: xxx

emx279 said:
hiya, is that the princess alexandra hospital in harlow?
Hey, I'm not sure?! :think: I just know she works on a labour ward in Harlow Hospital... :think: x

Jules K81 said about ringing Jo.. did you call her? sometimes its good to contact poeple through people.. often gets you further when you have someone on your side!

Good luck,

Claire x

right I'm gonna be THE INDUCER! :lol:

Eat some pineapple....make a lovely HOT curry.....bounce on that ball!!!! we are gonna get that wee lady outta you - pronto! :)

goooooood luck hun :hug:

dannii87 said:
SO... The final outcome is that I am going to see a Consultant on Tues - She said he still might turn me down for an early induction?! WTF, 13 days overdue isn't EARLY!! Anyway :roll: so he will either say yes I can be induced earlier (I reckon Thursday @ 13 days over), or he'll say no, I have to wait til Saturday (which I will kick up a stink about).

I totally understand your concern about potentially going 16 days over due, I personally wouldn't want to go any more than 10 days. A lot of hospitals won't let you go longer than 10 days over your due date and they obviously make that rule for a reason!
-I had a scan at 38 weeks and this showed my placenta was deteriorating even then....luckily I didn't go over my due date.
-Is there any chance your Mom could go with you to see your Consultant on Tuesday? - I always find i'm a bit rubbish speaking up for myself too but my Mom has no qualms about speaking up and people are less inclined to brush off my Mom, she takes no prisoners when it comes to her children lol... I just kind of go "OK" but think something entirely different!
Hopefully your LO will show up of her own accord before then!

claire2711 said:
right I'm gonna be THE INDUCER! :lol:

Eat some pineapple....make a lovely HOT curry.....bounce on that ball!!!! we are gonna get that wee lady outta you - pronto! :)

goooooood luck hun :hug:

Lol yeah and if all of that fails, try
spermies_racing_mc.gif
apparently its more effective when ingested lol

Think this actually happened to one of JodieHoneys friends...her baby was still born and it was cos the hospital had left it too long to induce... :( Again, it IS very rare, but CAN happen so its deffo sommat to be aware of.

If I had been reading this thread when I was overdue with Seren I would be rigid with fear now. Perhaps some perspective could be called for here, this thread is getting to scaremongering stage now. whilst danni i agree that if you want to be induced earlier then you should be allowed to (within reason obviously and 10 days over is perfectly reasonable) I do think you getting so scared about a possible deterioration in your placenta is not going to do you any good. The majority of prolonged pregnancies have good outcomes, it is the minority that have things go wrong. I personally think that midwife was well out of order the way she worded her information.

I am not disagreeing with you wanting to change your mind, and hope you get your way but this thread was making me panic and I am not even pregnant. Its really common for women to go over due and I just think some of this thread was pretty frightening. For what its worth even 13 days late my placenta was still in great shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back