Unexpected consultant apointment

Discussion in 'Second Trimester' started by ScotchEgg, Jun 17, 2013.

1. ScotchEgg

ScotchEgg Well-Known Member

I got a letter through the post from the hospital inviting me to a consultant apointment at 25 weeks. Is that normal? There's no apointment listed on my sheet from the GP and it doesn't say what it's for.

I was wondering if it's as it's an IVF pregnancy but we've been treated as normal so far.

Any thoughts?

2. Lauren84

Lauren84 Well-Known Member

I had an appt to see my consultant at 25 weeks but I am going every 4 weeks for a scan. Not sure sure what it would be otherwise Hun x

3. Caoimhe..x

Caoimhe..x Well-Known Member

I'm 25wks now and I haven't had to go for a consultant appointment xx

4. CARNAT22

CARNAT22 Well-Known Member

It could be IVF related?

Even though you are now considered normal and are 'low risk' I think every IVF pregnancy has an extra appointment or two that are set up in the very beginning.

Give them a call and find out hun.

xxxxxx

#4 CARNAT22, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  5. Rachel80

Rachel80 Well-Known Member

Are you consultant led or part consultant led? If so this is normal, I had mine last week & I'm 25+1, it's just instead of a midwife appt. if in doubt though just ring & ask them, they'll know better than us!x

6. LD1978

LD1978 Well-Known Member

I've got a consultant appt due to thyroid and heart murmur. You don't have anything like that do you? X

7. ellesbells

ellesbells Well-Known Member

I have one as I have a high bmi. I'm 5ft 2 and was 12 1/2 stone (size 12-14) when got preggers. Bmi was 33 I think at booking in. I also have anxiety and a bad history of uti's. Hoping consultant will just say as midwife said likely i.e Just wanted to check you and know about you in case any problems arise later. I'm more worried about my glucose test.

8. ScotchEgg

ScotchEgg Well-Known Member

I don't remember anything about consultants coming up - I'll check my notes. That's why it took me by surprise. BMI on getting pregnant was about 20 so in healthy range. I have no health conditions at all. I guess I just wasn't expecting it...I'm not worried though just curious so I'll probably wait and find out why on the day

9. Jodie_2013

Jodie_2013 Well-Known Member

Sorry just seen this comment! Also have a heart murmur but normal echo 18 months ago. Did they do anything else with u? Xx

10. flisstebbs

flisstebbs Well-Known Member

Think nat is right, my friend who had ivf had 2 consultant appts even though she was techinically "low risk", having had ivf puts you automatically into "high risk" (or it does in our area).

11. LD1978

LD1978 Well-Known Member

My echo showed a murmur but no issues with it, I see the consultant in July so will let you know what he says :) x

12. JJ Mum

JJ Mum Well-Known Member

Must be your ivf scotch. Im consultant led as i have had 7 abdominal surgerys.

I had my consultant booking in appointment at 17 weeks and i have to see her again at 29 weeks for chk up on antibodie levels and to get my babys date if birth and a scan at 32 weeks to chk for fetal anemia as i have blood antibodies.

Do ask them if you can remain midwife led if you wish to, perhaps they will just sign you off back to local after a few checkups

13. H16

H16 Well-Known Member

Weirdly my first pregnancy was consultant led due to asthma but this time around I'm not seeing a consultant despite still having asthma! Work that one out.... :/

I would imagine it is prob due to IVF too at first guess x