Type 1 diabetic - labour choice?

kazzerly88

Reaction score
Hello

I've been T1 for 20+ years and have okay control. However any sort of exercise dangerously drops my blood sugars. Because of this, I have been considering a c section so that I can (mainly) stay alive and with it (as much as can be expected) for when the baby arrives

In my previous conception appointment the Dr pretty much told me I wasn't allowed just to choose a c section and I'd have to have a much stronger case for a couple section.

Does anyone know about T1 diabetes and choosing a couple section?

I'm not pregnant yet but am freaking out about this as thought I'd be able to choose how to have my baby

My hospital offers induction for type 1 and 2 at 37 weeks. They also continuously monitor your blood and adjust glucose (?) via a drip accordingly. I'm not sure about opting for a section. I don't know any more about it as I'm not diabetic but that was in the info leaflet I was given about gestational diabetes (which they offer induction for at some point from 38 weeks depending on your level of control as a comparison). I know my hospital are very cautious about diabetes and offer a really high level of care.

As a side note, I think that anyone can opt for a section though, you just might have to try a few consultants first as some won't do it for you if they don't agree with your reasoning. You might also need to agree to counselling first too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back