• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tummy Sleeping Advice Please

ShadowWolf

Reaction score
Here's the thing....

When Lilly was born she loved being swaddled and she still does, one problem though, she is an incredibly wriggly baby and I mean really really wriggly. I put her to sleep during one day and she started to cry halfway through her nap and when I went to check on her, she had completely squiggled out of the wrap. It wasn't because it was loose as we do lovely snug swaddles, the snugger the more she likes it. I thought this was just a one off for now but knew that it wouldn't be long until she had to move to the sleeping bag.

Anyway, about 3 days ago we put her to bed for the night and she wriggled and fussed for about half an hour and then started wailing. It wasn't her normal 'going to sleep' cry so I got up and checked on her and she had wriggled out of the wrap, all the way to the top of her moses basket and had her face smooshed against the top of it. She could get up but not down! So, middle of the night we decide it's time for the sleeping bag..... she hates it.

We put her to sleep with a blanket tucked tightly around her but she wriggled and startled herself so much that she just couldn't sleep and ended up getting over-tired and screaming all night unable to settle herself. This happened every night until last night when I caved and put her to sleep on her tummy which she loves.....

Now I put her on her tummy every time she sleeps, which I know is not reccomended. What I want to know is are there any other mums with babys who sleep on their tummys here? I am so petrified about cot death and I hate letting her sleep on her tummy but it seems to be the only way......

Advice please ladies!

xxxx

Toby sleeps in his tummy, it was the only way that he would settle cos of reflux... we did get a sensor monitorfor peice of mind though...
...just don't tell the HV! :lol:

Lol, ok, i'll remember that! Good idea about the monitor but there is absolutely no spare money in our lives for even a daily paper, let alone finding £50 or so for a monitor.... :(

xx

my friend puts hers to sleep on his side! as long as HV doesnt catch wind youll be ok! my mum said she bought me up sleeping on my front too x

Seb loves sleeping on his tummy. We bought a sensor mat monitor because I was so paranoid! It's really put my mind to rest x

Noa sleeps on his tummy when hes struggeling to settle at night. We dont have any monitors just check him more often (about every 10-15 min) during the evening and after his first night feed hes happy to turn over to his back.
Noa sleeps in his basket but on a soft blanket, when hes on his tummy tho i take all blankets away underneeth him so if he would be sick its easier for him to move his head himself.

Me n my sisters always slept on our tummys, i dont think its so dangerous, perhaps it increase the chance of cot death slightly and therefor HVs have to advise us not to let our babies sleep like that, but if it makes your baby sleep better then i vote for it. Just keep an extra eye on them.

Hey there
Owen is a tummy sleeper too. After we had to stop swaddling cos he was busting out he just could not settle on his back. Years ago they said to put babies on their tummies so it cant be that bad! We have the sensor monitor too but yep it is expensive. It gives me peace of mind. I mistakenly told my hv and she made me feel quite worried and a bit rubbish!
Good luck. Got lots of reassurance from chatting to the mummies on here who have tummy sleepers too. x

I'm really glad to hear that there are other mummys who have tummy sleepers, thanks for the reassurance :) I do wish that I could get one of those monitors but we'll have to do without.

I was bought up on my tummy and so was mu OH and his brother so you're right, it can't be that bad but with all the scary messages that health professionals put out there it's really hard to beleive that your baby wont die the minute you put her down! LOL!

xxx

Lizzie kept wriggling out of her swaddles until I put two rolled up quilts either side of her crib. She gets 'squished' between them so can't use her limbs to move about as much, might be worth trying?? The quilts stop at shoulder level so she can't get them over her face during the night. Think she likes being wedged in nice and tight too :)

i tired to have a look at the research which implicated tummy sleeping as a risk to cot death but couldnt find anything...there are so many risk factors that I thought if the others are reduced (not too hot, not smoking etc) then the risk is minimal anyway. I got in a right state about it though!! x

Glad im not the only one! I think most of it is scare mongering by midwives and doctors.... i think they enjoy it! lol

xxx

i got my monitor of ebay, my be woth checking that or netmums, or your local surestart centre :hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salata Sara
Back