Totally screwed (tax credits)

JoJo79

Reaction score
Well we put our tax credits renewal in like most a few weeks back,

Checked the bank last thursday when mine is meant to go in they've dropped it from £58.00 per week to £19.00!!!!

We dont qualify for the Working Tax part anyway i was getting child tax for our 2 girls, my yearly earnings increased from the yr before but not a major amount and thats how much they've dropped it!

We are well and truly screwed now, plus im not entitled to Maternity pay from my job (dont earn enough) and looking into SMP im not entitled to that either or the Sure Start Maternity grant

Sorry for going on just really fed up xxx

:hug: Have you looked into maternity allowance? You should be entitled to that as long as youve worked for 26 weeks in the last year and that doesnt have to be continuous. Theyll take the average of your 3 biggest pay checks and youll get 90% of that I believe. (I looked into it when I was pregnant but didnt qualify but kind of remember it)

I cant believe theyve dropped it that much. I havent done my tax returns yet and Im dreading them dropping my money. Money really is the enemy at the moment.

Tax credits are a flippin nightmare!

You may not earn enough (like me) but you can claim maternity allowance for 39 weeks for 90% of your weekly pay I think. You need the smp forms to send to your employer so they can send them back saying your not entitled to it. You then need to get the maternity allowance forms from the job centre, fill in and send it off with the required amount of payslips and your rejected smp forms. You should hear back in 2 weeks.

Hope this helps you a little!

:hug: Have you looked into maternity allowance? You should be entitled to that as long as youve worked for 26 weeks in the last year and that doesnt have to be continuous. Theyll take the average of your 3 biggest pay checks and youll get 90% of that I believe. (I looked into it when I was pregnant but didnt qualify but kind of remember it)

I cant believe theyve dropped it that much. I havent done my tax returns yet and Im dreading them dropping my money. Money really is the enemy at the moment.

you beat me to it! Lol

Last edited:
^^^ WSS - I think you should def get mat allowance if you'e worked for 26 weeks during the qualifying period and that's £128.73 a week. Tax credits also completely disregard Mat Allowance as it's not a taxable income. Xx

Agree with what the other girls have said, i didn't earn enough so got maternity allowance i had to send my 3 highest payslips they averaged it and i got 90% off that x

Thanks ladies i find it all so confusing as this is the first time ive actually been employed while preg (i was sacked when i was expecting my eldest ((did the whole tribunal thing))
and we were running our own business when i was expecting my youngest.

I must have read everything wrong then on 'net i have been continously (sp) emplyed since dec'09 just lterally changed jobs this week but the 2 crossed over so no break there.

Thanks for your help ladies xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ButterflyMom
Back