too early?

Jade&Evie

Reaction score
I am just over 32 weeks and just started my maternity leave- I have a two hour commute in the mornings and evenings to work so thought now was best time to stop but now I am a little bit worried I have taken it too early??!! when did everyone else start???

x

Not too early at all. I think what ever feels right for you. I stopped at 29 weeks. I was so tired. I just couldn't perform as well as I usually do which I felt bad about because I am a teacher and my poor performance affects the kids I teach.

:oops: what have you been doing to keep yourself busy? I'm trying to think of things that don't involve spending money... our flat is quite small so it only takes about 3 hrs to do a complete spring clean... and I can't do it every day! lol

I've got a feeling the next 8 weeks will be deadly boring!

I have had to give up my job due to all the complications I have had with this pregnancy :( I planned on working up until baby was born as I could have really done with the money. Also my maternity allowance won't start for a few more weeks.

But then I have my little girl to keep me company (my son is at school) and my sister has given me one of her favourite books to read. I love reading but can't remember the last time I had enough time to read a good book :)

I left around 32 weeks too and it has got a little bit boring but you will find things to do but just try and enjoy some me time as much as you can as once baby is here you will be busy around the clock and the smallest tasks will take so much longer.

I left at 32 weeks too, but i think 8 weeks of doing not much is a luxury we will look back on when the baby is here, with fond memories. I'm making the most of it, sitting on my butt all day, watching dvds, reading books doing things for me...enjoy :hug:

Snap - my commute was 1h 30 each way.

I decided it was best to leave earlier rather than later in case I had any problems ( I already had 8 weeks signed off for sickness).

In the end it turned out to be the best decision for me, as my bp started to climb, and I didn't end up going in for my last 3 days. And surprise surprise, my bp has come back down again! (fingers crossed).

Don't ask me what I have been doing with my time, I have no idea lol, but some how its a month later...

I recommend nice long relaxing baths :dance:

I have also spent time nesting, washing baby's clothes, developing a cloth nappy addiction, lurking on here!

i stopped early cos i had a very demanding job and i could have stopped very early or very late due to the way my job worked...no inbetween.....i picked to stop early and i did regret it at the time not having money coming in, but at the same time i know it was the right decision to make.

i'm hoping to work on as far as i can, but it's an absolute struggle :(

i'm exhausted all the time, my back and feet are agony after a day at work, and in my spare time all i do is sleep :(

maternity leave might come earlier than i'd hoped for being honest, i'm dreading being bored though.. :think:

I stopped at 34 weeks and I only worked part time. I was starting to find it tiring, the 10 minute walk to work would kill me before I even got there!

I have plenty of stuff to do, but struggling to find the energy to do it. I've got a 3 bed house to clean and a 5 year old to look after so no chance of getting bored :lol:

Been having a proper spring clean doing all the things I haven't done since moving in 18 months ago, like taking down curtains to wash, cleaning the windows etc.
Have also cleaned out all the kitchen cupboards.
Still got tons to do, OH is supposed to be decorating upstairs before baby arrives so all his stuff is just piled in his cot in bags.
We've ordered some new bedroom furniture for the boys that will take a couple weeks to arrive so can't put any clothes away either, though they're all washed

I have been off for 7 weeks now and I am not bored yet. There is always a bit of laundry to do, a little bit of housework, a trip to the shop/midwife/doctor/cinema, lunch or coffee with friends. If I get to the point where I have nothing to do I either sleep :cheer: , have a lovely long bath or read. I am definately making the most of this time, I will never get this opportunity again.

Like Happybunny, I am a teacher and so I gave up as early as possible at 29 weeks. The job was just too demanding and I couldn't manage being on my feet all day without passing out. Besides which, I kept worrying I wasn't doing a good job for all my A level classes and so on, so I was getting stressed.

As for keeping busy this is what I've done for the last 5 (!) weeks:

* Washed all the baby clothes, blankets etc.
* Put loads of maternity clothes and other junk on Ebay.
* Sorted out our books, CDs and DVDs and sold a load to the man on the market.
* Tidied up a bit.
* Packed my hospital bag (still to do the baby's!)
* AFTERNOON NAPS AND LONG BATHS :dance: :cheer: :sleep:
* Backed up all the photos and my school stuff on the PC.
* Carted all my school resourcees in boxes up to the in-laws' for storage.

Yeah OK it's not that much - but I think we probably need to relax as we won't have much energy when the baby gets here. I find it hard to sleep at night so the time off's been really useful for catching up with sleep too...

I stopped at 29 weeks technically but i'd been off sick since 20 weeks with sciatica!
i feel a bit wimpy for giving up so early but it just hurt too much!

It's definately good for catching up on the sleep that's often impossible during the night!

im 30wks this week and hoping to carry on for a few more yet although every week it gets more difficult :cry: we go away for a week at the end of April so i am just trying to focus on that to keep me going :pray:

I finished at 32 weeks and jared arrived at 41 weeks, so I had 9 weeks before he arrived ( although the last few were a nightmare as i was so big!) the first 5 weeks were fantastic, it was my first Christmas off for years :D

I finished just before I got to 37 weeks but if I had to travel for 2 hours to work every day it would have been sooner! I only have to spend 6 minutes in the car and I'm at work- and my husband is the one who does the driving!

I think you have finished at a realistic time as you do become more uncomfortable and tired in the later weeks- at least you will be able to listen to your body and sleep when you need to and be well rested for when the baby arrives.

I stopped work as early as I could (about 27 weeks?) because I was moving halfway down the country & wanted to get registered with my new midwife as soon as possible.

Because I moved closer to my family and had lived away for a few years I spent most of my time with my mum & sister, & seeing my little nieces. And towards the end sleeping and having lots of baths!

The only downside really was that I had to go back to work when Austin was only 3 months old (I only got 6 months mat leave because I was due 1 week before teh cut off when they changed it :x ) but I onlt went back part time so not too bad.

Take the opportunity to sleep when you want because believe me you won't be able to in a couple of months :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back