To move or not to move - that is the question (sorry long)!

EllieBelle

Reaction score
Right ladies I need your help.........

As some of you know we recently moved back to the UK from France and into our house in Gloucestershire, we were never intending on living in the UK house - it was bought purely as an investment, its in a tiny village with no young people, and no amenities - so very isolated and I have to drive everywhere! DH has recently secured a new job and is based up in Preston - a 3.5 hour drive away - because the job is project related he is likely to be on the current project up North for at least a year and after that he could be moved to a project anywhere (likely to be in the South East). Dh is currently away 3 days a week. He works at home Mon and Fri, but the house isnt big enough for all of us especially as he has to be on conference calls all day, which means me having to sneak about and try and stop the dog barking etc - its a nightmare!!!

So we have a number of options:

a) Rent out our cottage and move up North nearer to where DH works for 12 months - would mean he comes home in the evenings, but we wont know anyone at all (so will be in the same position Im in now, with the exception that DH will be home every evening; albeit late), will also cost us a fair amount to move all our furniture etc, and dont know the area at all!

b) Rent in Winchcombe, another village in Gloucestershire where we used to live, and where we hope to move back to permanently in the future (once we have sold our current house), its the most gorgeous Cotswold Town. We know a few people in the town and there is a real sense of community, plus its only 10 mins from Cheltenham so have every facility within easy reach. DH also said if he had a proper office at home he might get away with just being away a night a week!!

c) Stay where we are for now, its a lovely cottage, just too small and in the wrong location!! We want to put the property back on the market in Spring anyway, by which point the market should be a little better! Before we moved to France we fully renovated it, so it needs no work at all!

If you were in my shoes, what would you do and why????

If we decide to move we need to do something soon, so we can get settled before LO arrives!

ARGHHHHH.....I know which way Im swaying, but would be so grateful for your views!

:hug:

hhmm that is a tricky one - but if it were me and DH, i would prob rent out the house if feasible and move closer to Preston so hubby could be home. But then i dont know loads of people where we are now

I would move to Preston (Its ok - I'm down the road in Southport) so you can be together as a family. You never get those precious few months back again, plus you might need the support of having your OH home in the evenings.

Don't worry about not knowing anyone. I hardly knew anyone where I lived before LO came along, bacause I work out of the area and my friends are spread about. I went along to the local childrens centre/surestart which runs parent and baby groups, has a breastfeeding cafe and runs courses like baby massage, and made some good friends there.

I don't know Preston itself that well (but its a decent size, there will be plenty of facilities), but if you were looking a bit further south I can give you the low down on the areas if I know them! PM me if you want.

Option b looks most positive to me, but remember wherever you are-once baby arrives you'll have no probs meeting new ppl wherever you are.
Good luck!

My first choice is b! Rent somewhere where you know and can settle! With OH only being gone one night a week it wont be so bad! But if hubby will still need to be away for longer each week then I would rent in Preston for the 12 months hun! 3 nights a weeks will seem so much longer when LO arrives and Oh may feel like he is missing out also!

Good luck whatever you decide! :hug: :hug: :hug:

a or b would be my pick! (lol so decisive!)

Its not an easy decision, but I can imagine its not nice being home alone during the week when DH is away, even if you do have the dogs to keep you company! I think moving closer to where he works would be a good decision as I too think you'll need his help more during the week as you get bigger etc... :hug:

Like others have said i'm sure you'll get to know people once LO is born, I too know no-one really in my area. All the people in my street have kids, so we were the only young couple (until now!)

let us know what you decide :hug: :hug: xxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back