To move or not to move?

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well i have a decision to make and need some of your thoughts.

I am currently in a 1 bed house. Its quite spacious but obviously no room for a nursery. The housing market at the moment is awful and although i have had a few viewings i have not had any offers.

Due to my health problems (crohns disease) there seems to be a high risk of flaring after the baby is born. This may mean that my OH would need to take some time off work if i end up in hospital. This would mean if we stayed where we are (in the 1 bed) then financially we would be more comfortable.

So.. do i..

a. keep the house on the market for another month and if it doesnt sell take it off

b. Take it off now and just wait til the baby is born and start looking again a few months later

c. Keep it on the market, wait for a buyer, move and take the risk?

I know babies usually stay in the same room as you for upto 6 months. Has anyone out there stayed in a 1 bed?

Thanks for listening,

Claire x

Well I had a 2 bed flat with 3 kiddies lol so my DD stayed in my room with us until she was about 14 months! It was totally fine!
If I were you, tbh I would wait until after babs is born, then put it back on the market! Thats what i would do right now! The last thing you need is to be skint when the baby is born!! :D

Hi Nori,

We're in a similar situation, in a 1 bed flat which we bought a couple of years ago.

The way the housing market and mortgage rates are at the moment, if we managed to sell and move to a 2/3 bed we'd be looking at jumping from our £500 a month mortgage to at least £800+.

Also, I'm self-employed and although I should hopefully get maternity allowance it will be a lot less than I normally make, so the thought of adding financial stress doesn't appeal to me at the moment.

We've decided to stay here for the first while when baby comes along, will likely have little one in our room for 6 months anyway so planning on waiting until then, then start looking for somewhere bigger. Hopefully by then I'll be back to working more and the property market might be looking brighter!

We've space in the bedroom (just!) for the cot and a small chest of drawers for baby things, plus the lounge is quite large so we could fit a travel cot in here for during the day, or some more storage drawers perhaps!

Just going to make sure we don't buy too much stuff that we don't really need and I'm sure we'll adapt when October comes.

All the best,

Sarah x

Hey ladies, when I had my DD in my room, I got them things you hang in your wardrobe, like canvas hanging shelves! They were all I needed for her! Might be worth getting if space is limited!! :D

Hello :wave:

You will have to follow your heart on this one but I personally would wait.

I have no experience (yet) of babies and the space they need but I am a property developer and I am not buying at the moment! The market is not looking strong and I think that the government will have to do something pretty drastic to stop the market falling. Just my opinion but I would sit tight and cosy in your 1 bed for the moment.

Lots of luck with whatever you decide :hug:

Ooh nice idea Lea, this sort of thing would hopefully hold babies clothes and save me having to llose a drawer :cheer:
Thanks for the advice of the property situation Sally, nice to have some reasurance that staying put is probably the best thing to do just now! :hug:

Sarah x [/url]

Yeh thats what it was like only a little bigger!! :D:D

Thank you ladies, I've decided to stay put and take the house off the market. I will loose the HIPs fee but i'll put it down to experience.

Claire x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back