Telling work

Yvonne

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am 7 weeks pregnant and due to go to the doctors for confirmation of pregnancy and to sign up with my midwife etc.
I am really anxious about telling work i am pregnant as i have only been there 6 months, i dont know how my manager will react, he is a nice fella and he is easy enough to confront with problems but i am in a job share i am an afternoon receptionist and obviously i share with the morning receptionist who isn't so willing to contribute
i am expecting him to have trouble with her covering my shift for antinatal appointments etc. i dont want him to turn on me because she will be so unco-operative.

plus i am scared of what people will say, i am 23 and have a 1 1/2 year old which they are suprised at to start with never mind me being pregnant again. i am the youngest there and i am in a loving relationship with my fiance but it has just shocked them to think i have a daughter as well.

Any advice or chats on the matter would be appreciated
:D :D

Hiya
I would tell your employer at around 12 weeks. Tell them you will try your best to book appointments at a convienent time for everyone.
Look into your maternity rights at work, you may find that as long as you have worked there a year from the time you want to take your maternity leave they will give you full maternity rights.
Above all, this is a fantastic exciting time for you, so don''t let your work situation bring you down.
Legally and morally your employer has an obligation to you, so don't worry.

Thanks for that advice i am going to try and do it a little earlier than 12 weeks because they keep asking me to do a few other bits which includes carrying big files etc, which i keep making excuses for, plus i have been doing over time lately and it has really taken it out of me.

I dont think they will react too badly, i'm not sure whether to tell personell first and see what they say?

i'm so confused i feel like doing it ASAP and getting it over and done with!!!

Thanks Again

Yvonne

Yvonne

What I have found out since I told my work (who have made things very difficult) is that it doesn't matter how long you've been there for for certain rights like unfair dismissal/sexual discrimination etc. You have a right to take time off for antenatal appointments and it's not down to you if your job share is uncooperative about it, they need to sort out the cover for you. Just make sure that you give them all the info they may require, i.e. show them your appointment card etc.

I told my work early on in my pg because I'd had problems and I didn't want to lie about the reason I was off.

I hope everything goes ok for you with them :)

Hi Rosieroo

How did work react with you?
I feel guilty i think because i haven't been there that long and i will be leaving them in the lurch.
I had problems early on with Amy but touch wood i dont seem to have problems with this one so i'm not sure when the best time to tell them is :roll:

How long have you worked for you employer?

Thanks
Yvonne

I told my boss early on as I have had slight sickness etc and she has been brilliant. You should check out your maternity rights with you HR department as all pregnant women are allowed to take time off for mid-wife visits etc. If you do decide to tell your boss then tell him to keep it to himself like I did until you are at least 12 weeks and you know everything is OK. Good luck sx

I have decided to tell my boss today. I have problems with my heart and sometimes (not very often thankfully) these problems cause me to pass out. Each time it happens I end up in hospital. I am worried that if I do pass out the hospital will put me on medication that could harm the baby, so if he knows then he can advise the hospital or paramedics of my situation.

It is an added bonus that i have an excellent boss and telling him something like this is not a problem, he will do anything to make sure i am OK at work.

jacq x

Amy's mum said:
Hi Rosieroo

How did work react with you?
I feel guilty i think because i haven't been there that long and i will be leaving them in the lurch.
I had problems early on with Amy but touch wood i dont seem to have problems with this one so i'm not sure when the best time to tell them is :roll:

How long have you worked for you employer?

Thanks
Yvonne

Hey :)

I know it's hard not to feel guilty, but it's not like you are leaving them for another job. Think happy thoughts for your little bub ;)
I've worked for my employer for 2 years, though I left last July and they asked me to go back last September. They've been awful, I am currently signed off of work and he's sent me and my doc a letter telling them he wont be paying SSP unless they give him more details - they put medical problem on my sick note (which neither of us have to give and he cannot withold SSP). He's been a complete arse, but thanks to here, ACAS and Citizens Advice Bureau I've found out he is discriminating against me and luckily pregnant ladies have a lot of rights, more than I think he realises!!
I told them after 6 weeks due to an ecotopic scare I had at the time.

Good luck with telling them, I'm sure they'll be fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back