Tips for mummies to be and new mums

Minime

Reaction score
Been thinking about all the things the books dont actually tell you, those little gems that you learn yourself or from other mums. Here's mine...

If you're planning on gas & air take plenty of drinks with straws. It dries your mouth and your tongue feels like sandpaper. Lucozade would be best as it'll give you extra energy to puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuush!

If you have long hair with a new baby, always wear it up. You'll either get sick in it or the baby will grip tight hold of it and wont let go :rotfl:

Never wear a black top with a new baby. It wont stay black for long :)

no-one pre-warned me about lochia, the bleeding that you get after the baby. Its very heavy and lasts for weeks!! You need a non stop supply of pads and not too sexy knickers!
And also another shocker for me was boobies spurting milk when the baby starts to cry!!! :shock:

Projectile(sp) vomiting was somthing people failed to mention to me. I knew she would be sick every now and then but for it to hit the 4 foot mark was shocking! :shock: Im gonna cover the floor with splashmats i think! :lol:

Oh and the after bleeding, and the intense stinging when i peed! :shock: Hurt like a BIATCH! :lol: Crap.. ive gotta do all this again :wall: :doh:
What was i thinking LOL!?!

Take vaseline into the hospital for those first few nappies - meaconium is hard to shift, but with the vaseline it can't get get a grip lol. Mind you, we're still on the vaseline as it's great for nappy rash, you just need a really thick layer. Also, dont waste money on baby shampoo's, lotions, and bubble baths - baby skin is so delicate, just water is best and it preserves the natural oils in the skin.

gingerpig said:
Take vaseline into the hospital for those first few nappies - meaconium is hard to shift, but with the vaseline it can't get get a grip lol. Mind you, we're still on the vaseline as it's great for nappy rash, you just need a really thick layer. Also, dont waste money on baby shampoo's, lotions, and bubble baths - baby skin is so delicate, just water is best and it preserves the natural oils in the skin.

When i did my training as nursery nurse they advised us about smearing new babies backsides with vaseline so that the merconium doesnt stick it also keeps nappy rash at bay i've passed this info onto many a mum to be over the yrs and they have seriously thanked me 4 it. :)

Oooh good thinking!! Ill defo take some vaseline in with me! Thanks for that!!

Babies have lots of creases which can get damp and sore so look behind ears, armpits and folds of legs and dry them properly

Minime said:
Babies have lots of creases which can get damp and sore so look behind ears, armpits and folds of legs and dry them properly
Yes, jaycee used to get a very sore neck being so chubby.. milk always got in her neck creases and made her sore :(

Hi

Those are all so true!! Except Kiara only veer spit up once so hoping this LO is the same :D

Hmm dont wear long earings or they will get pulled
try to buy some quick meals or freeze meals youve made already for the first few weeks when your just getting used to being so tired :)

hospital food is nasty :puke: try and save some money for if you get hungry

Katrina

These tips are helpful.

I remember my son having projectile vomiting quite a lot in the first few months. I used to use the changing mat and a full bath sheet sized towel on the floor when I fed him. :shock: Turned out he was actually quite intolerant to milk because he's asthmatic.

One of the tips I'd give is to remember you know your baby better than anyone. If something doesn't feel or seem right - it probably isn't. So don't allow GP's, HV or whoever fob you off with excuses.

:hug:

yes thatnks for the tip on gas and air... that's i'll be having don't want a dry month now

sweet ty will try remember all these if not will pop in every now and then to recap or take notes when i reah 27weeks. i be officially here then. only anotehr week to go :wall:

im gonna get my note pad out, these are really useful tips- thank you ladies :hug:

Learn to breathe through your mouth.....makes nappy changes easier :lol:

What they do tell you in books, but should definitely be reiterated (sp)......& is the MOST important (or is for me anyway!)

Sleep when baby sleeps!! :sleep:

Speaking of which......nighty night ladies :sleep:

Oh, and when visitors want to come round, specify a 'timing'...rather than saying yes come round, say if you wanna come round for an hour & have a cuppa (that way they aren't expecting to be there long & you'll not be so tired from entertaining as well as being a new mom!

*saulino* said:
Hmm dont wear long earings or they will get pulled

God yes! Careful with nose studs too when baby is a bit older and more active as they grab at them!

hospital food is nasty :puke: try and save some money for if you get hungry

Katrina

:rotfl: I wouldnt eat anything there, stashed a bunch of bananas in my bag to live off!

Emmylou said:
What they do tell you in books, but should definitely be reiterated (sp)......& is the MOST important (or is for me anyway!)

Sleep when baby sleeps!! :sleep:

Speaking of which......nighty night ladies :sleep:

Oh, and when visitors want to come round, specify a 'timing'...rather than saying yes come round, say if you wanna come round for an hour & have a cuppa (that way they aren't expecting to be there long & you'll not be so tired from entertaining as well as being a new mom!

TOTALLY agree!! SOD the housework!! If baby is sleeping..SLEEP!

PLus its horrible when everyone comes round at once, tell them to call before coming over no matter who it is, and make sure they know they cant stay long!
I had a strict 3 people at a time to visit me as i was only in a small room (Mum and baby hostel) and was shattered all the time, overwhelmed by visitors wasnt helping my recovery!! So i had set days and times for people lol! Too organised i think lol! It worked well though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back