Time off work for appointments

lucie1980

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question. Does anyone know where I stand with getting time off work for appointments etc? I have my first midwifes appointment tomorrow and was supposed to be working from 12 till 3.30 (it's my wee half shift). I asked my manager for the time off and she said i would need to come in to cover the morning shift so now I am working from 7.30 till 11.30.

I was under the impression that I was allowed the time off without havng to make it up? I also though I was being reasonable by making my appointment on my half day rather than having to take a full day off for it.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

xx

No hun you shouldn't have had to make it up, when I was working and pg you were allowed so many hours for dr's/MW appointemnts and then longer for hospital appointments. And you are entitled to these paid. I believe your employer could actually be breaking the law by doing this.

No hun you shouldn't have had to make it up, when I was working and pg you were allowed so many hours for dr's/MW appointemnts and then longer for hospital appointments. And you are entitled to these paid. I believe your employer could actually be breaking the law by doing this.

Yeah I agree with this, you don't have to make time up, but I think you can swap shifts IF YOU want to.
She can't make you do that.

Time off for antenatal care

All pregnant employees, however long they have been in their jobs, are entitled to reasonable time off work for antenatal care. Any time off must be paid at your normal rate of pay. It is unlawful for your employer to refuse to give you reasonable time off for ante-natal care or to pay you at your normal rate of pay.
Your employer can ask for evidence of antenatal appointments from the second appointment onwards. If asked you should show your employer a medical certificate showing you're pregnant and an appointment card or some other written evidence of your appointment.
Antenatal care may include relaxation or parent craft classes as well as medical examinations, if these are recommended by your doctor. If you can, try to avoid taking time off work when you can reasonably arrange classes or examinations outside working hours.
^^^ from
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10026556

Thanks guys!

That's what I thought to be honest. I feel a little worried about work now because I dont think they are going to make anything easy for me. They are not bad people but when i asked for the 3 hrs off my boss could easily have let me have it because I wasnt supposed to be working the early shift so she has a full team in to cover it anyway so it seems like she is just being a bit awkward.:wall2:

Thanks for that info!! I think I will really need to read up on all my entitlements! I am not planning on taking the pee out of work and will do everything I can to work (so long as its safe) but evidently they are not going to go out of their way to look after me so I will need to be totally up to date on my rights!!

Thanks!!

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back