Maternity rights at work

bumpmakes3

Reaction score
I am getting increasingly confused with my rights at work here...

My employer is pretty good - very small firm with only 3 employees and 3 directors - and he's always been good about me taking time off for dentists/doctors appointments etc. I've told him I'm pregnant and that I've got appointments to make for midwives, scans etc. My 1st midwife appt. is tomorrow and it's some time between 9 and 1. They couldn't give me a more accurate time although I did ask :) Anyway, we've just been having a bit of a conversation in the office about tomorrow and I mentioned the midwife appt. that I'd already told him about and he started going on about what a good boss he was becuase he didn't have to give me time off for stuff like this. Now, I was under the impression he did have to give me time off for this. Is this not the case?

Am thinking I need to get genned up on this because it's possible they might get tricky about mat. leave and everything else.... :?

I too work in a very small office with only 4 staff so i can relate to you on that one. I think you will find that they have to allow you the time off for you appointments im sure someone will correct me if thats wrong.

Hi, yes they have to allow you time off for any antenatal appointments. They cannot dock your pay for these either.

Hi i work in an accountants and checked with my friend in the wages department - we do the wages for over 1,000 firms. They have to give you time off for scans, midwife appointments and anything antenatal re relaxation classes etc. If they are funny they might ask you to produce a maternity certificate/note off your doctor confirming you are pregnant but you can't be refused time off or told to arrange the appointments in your own time or have to make up the time or be dedcucted hours etc.

Maternity pay is different everywhere depending on your employer but think the minimum is :

You will get 6 weeks at 90% of wage and then 33 weeks at £112.75 = 9 months paid in total. (the £112.75 will go up a little from April - prob £2!)

You will accrue normal holidays throughout.

The earliest you can finish 11 weeks before your due date.

You can have up to 12 months off but after the 9 months you are entitled to paid it is classed as unpaid leave.

Hope this helps xxx

Yes it is the Law that they have to give you paid time off for your pregnancy related appointments, employers also have other responsibilities to ensure that you are safe in the workplace, plus there's the obvious stuff like being entitled to maternity leave.

A good website is the Direct Gov one, it will tell you all you need to know:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10026556

Thanks so much ladies for all your advice :hug:

I'll have to sit down with them at some point and see what the arrangements are for maternity pay and things but it just seems too early to be thinking about that yet. We've never had anyone pregnant here before (IT company - ALL boys :wink: ) and I'm thinking he just needs to read up on it all. If he doesn't I will :D

It might be worth asking your midwife if she has any leaflets that you can give to your boss.

I only work p/t - 9 hrs per week, but even then I am allowed time off for antenatal appointments, scans and stuff.

I was under the impression your employer has to give you time off for midwife appointments & antenatal cars also.

For mor info on employment law & your maternity rights have a look at this usefule website, I work in HR & use it for my job all the time.

http://www.acas.org.uk/

As others have said he has to give you time off. I doubt he'd cause you problems as the law is very clear on your rights.

Just maybe a 4 hour time window for a short appointment is maybe a bit much for him to get his head round :roll: Shame you can't be given a more specific time for all concerned. Is it going to be a sit and wait thing and therefore you could be there for 4 hours before you are seen? Because if so, that really doesn't seem right. Surely they should be able to give you a more specific time than that :think:

I was under the impression your employer has to give you time off for midwife appointments & antenatal cars also.

For mor info on employment law & your maternity rights have a look at this usefule website, I work in HR & use it for my job all the time.

http://www.acas.org.uk/

As others have said he has to give you time off. I doubt he'd cause you problems as the law is very clear on your rights.

Just maybe a 4 hour time window for a short appointment is maybe a bit much for him to get his head round :roll: Shame you can't be given a more specific time for all concerned. Is it going to be a sit and wait thing and therefore you could be there for 4 hours before you are seen? Because if so, that really doesn't seem right. Surely they should be able to give you a more specific time than that :think:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back