This is sooooo embarrassing - really worried! Not a thief!!

Julia

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I went to a supermarket this morning to do a big shop with my 2 year old daughter. I went to the makeup section to buy a nail varnish. The nail varnish packaging was so small that it would've fallen through the trolley bars so I put it on the seat next to my little girl - who started playing with it. I then put it in the small empty front pocket of my handback in order to carry it around the shop. My little girl then wanted some cocktail sausages which I gave her walking around the shop. I opened the packaging obviously to give her a sausage. When I left the store, the security man stopped me and asked me to go to the back of the store. I have now been done for THEFT!!! I had completely forgotten about the nail varnish and he said that the sausage packaging should not be opened before buying the product - I can see what they are saying but I am totally devastated: I am not a criminal in any shape or form!!! I have been banned for 12 months! What do you think will happen now? Do you think that they will send the police around my house? or is it over and done with. People who know me (and know how ditsy I am) think it is daft....please advise!!!!

Awwww :hug: :hug: :hug:

If you have been banned from the store for 12 months I doubt they will take any more action against you.

I can't imagine the police/CPS would prosecute for such a small thing. And tbh, a private prosecution for a bottle of nailvarnish would be daft for the store.

It's awful this has happened. You are not alone in being caught out by such things. Legally the store are correct, but if you had paid for the sausages anyways, they could have just let that be really.

I know children can be a bit of a pain wanting something when shopping in a store, but as they can and do check such things it really is safer to resist and have LO wait till you are out of the store. Or bring a piece of fruit or some such in with you, and let her have it before you start shopping and get near the goods. Or purchase something at the kiosk before shopping and keep the receipt. I tend to just stick with no treats round the supermarket, so as to avoid possible tantrums etc. The kids I look after understand that they don't get anything going round the store off the shelves and are used to it.

Maybe in a week or two write the store a letter and ask them if they would reconsider their position, if you want to shop there again before the 12 months is up.

Thanks Sherlock,

I feel a bit better now.....although I am still worried that they will send the police to my house!?! Legally, I did steal but it certainly was not intentional!! You are right - I don't think it is worth prosecuting over a £2.30 bottle of nail varnish. I obviously paid for everything in the end. I am a secondary school teacher so also have a job at risk if they prosecute. My friend said that they would have had to call the police then and there if they were to prosecute. I just feel very dirty to think that they thought I stole from them......I'll get over it, I'm sure....
Would you worry if you were me or just forget about it?

I'd try and forget about it if I were you :hug: Your friend is right they would have had to keep you there and phone the police while you were still there :)

I think its right, they would have to call the police at the time.

I'd not worry more about it. It's never worth it. If you've paid for the goods, or they have been returned and the store has banned you for 12 months, I really cannot see they would take matters further.

Its so crap it happened. I know how stressful and distracting shopping with LO's can be so you have my sympathy, you really do.

Shop elsewhere and try not to worry about it.

:hug: :hug:

i cant believe they took it so far, on quite a few occassions alana has taken things off the shelf without me knowing whens she sat in pushchair, and its not until im leaving the shop i notice.

i would write a letter and see if that helps, i was banned from safeways for stealing chocolate when i was a kid, but after a month i went back again and no one noticed :D

OMG :shock: You theiveing monkey
I would go back and ask to speak to the store manager. Thats outrageous. I have frequently given Jess things to hold that havent been paid for (cheese and somethign else0. I f I realise before I get everyone into the car I go back but otherwise I dont bother. They scew us all the time.

Its not mass theft :roll:

I always open things on the way around the Supermarket for Jake to eat and I don't see anything wrong with it providing that I keep the packaging and pay for it before I leave. I think they went a bit far banning you for something so minor. Surely if you were going to steal something you would have chose something more expensive than a nail varnish and a mini sausage :lol: .

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I would go back or phone and arrange to speak to the manager. I have a funny feeling the security man probably had nothing better to do and decided to pick on somebody vulnerable rather than the people who nick the likes of razor blades and lose the store a fortune.

They were a bit harsh on you weren't they?
I think a phonecall tomorrow to the store manager and a pop in to visit them should sort it ot especially if they ave children themselves.

When harrison was little i nipped into Claires Accessories and they have stuff on the shelves where he could just grab without me even seeing him, when i got out of the store i was approached by a staff member and asked to go back in the store. Harrison had 3 bags of sweets in the pram with him, after explaining they totally understood and he even got a lollipop from the staff.

I would write a letter of complaint to the store manager. I think they have been a bit harsh on you, they should have just given you the opportunity to pay.
I work in a supermarket and items are always being scanned through the checkout opened where parents have given their kids something, or even ate something themselves. I've never known it to be a problem.
If they didn't call the police I don't think you'll hear any more about it :hug: :hug:

:shock: thats really harsh! I would write asking them to reconsider even ask them to look at the camera footage. When I worked in a large store you could always tell the ones that were intentionaly stealing!

We used to have mums or dads in that would be payin for their things and would watch their children go and help themselfs to the chocolate at the end of the tills with no intention of paying at all. Ask them too look at the camera they will see that it was a accident.....if they dont I wouldnt want to shop there anyway!

Aww bless you! Can't believe that!

In the local shop near my house we have 15 yr old lads walking out of the shop with 500 ml coke bottles in each pocket of their jeans and their hoodies stuffed with familiar (crisp packet sounding) rustling noises as they leave! Why is it the innocent ones who get "caught"?!

I'm sure if you were going to steal something you'd have stolen something a bit more expensive lol

The whole sausage thing is ridiculous though. I went to Matalan late November and tried on one of those really tight body suit things that are supposed to take inches from your waist, bum and thighs. Well, I tried it on and couldn't get it off so bought the box instead. When the lady said "do you know this is empty?" (with a huge queue behind me) I quietly replied "yes, I tried it on and can't get it off so have to buy it" :rotfl:

I ended up wearing it for two days before reluctantly cutting it off lol and I didn't get told off!!

I agree with the others, I'd contact the supermarket, it's not nice knowing people think you are something that you're not, even if you will never see them again. It's like an embarassing black cloud hanging over you.

We know you're innocent though :D

xx

Thanks everyone!!

You are all so supportive! The security guard told me it was on camera at the time and that I could not prove otherwise. I went out last night and had a few to drink to try and feel a bit better. I think I may write a letter in a couple of days - just going to calm down for now. Spoke to someone else last night who said they have given the punishment and just take it on the chin - I have no option other than to do just that!!

I suppose this is nothing compared to what some people go through in their lives!! It's just embarrassing!!! :oops:

Any more advice or comments welcome!

What did we do without the internet???????

Sounds like they were just making an example of you and really they could have phoned the police if they felt like it so you did kinda get off lightly. To be fair they don't know you from Adam and you could well have been pinching the nail varnish and the fact that you also opened and consumed food before paying for it probably just drew attention to you even more. They didn't know you intended to pay for the nail varnish and sausages. If it was a clothes shop and you were walking around with an item in your bag whilst actually wearing an item you hadn't paid for yet they would pull you round the back too and accuse you of theft.

I do sympathise but I think alot of people think big supermarkets have diferent rules to other shops and they don't.

:D

This happened to me over a year ago, i was shopping the lot and had bought some make up and put it on top of my handbag cos it kept falling through the trolley and when i paid for my shopping I totally forgot about the make up and when i was walking out of the store I got stopped and waas taken back where i was charged and banned by the store and they called the police! I couldnt believe it!

Got put in a cell the lot, fingerprints taken, I was treated like I had murdered someone! I was cautioned even though the police could see I had just forgot to pay for it. Got a bloody cation though which is still onmy recird for the next few years. *******s.

So dont worry it wont harm you, they would of called the police if they wanted you charged properly. Your safe and this wont go on your record or owt.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences - they are very much appreciated.....do you think I should phone the store (not in any way to argue) and speak to the manager or security?

Speak to the manager, or write a letter as you have time to think about what your going to say and can voice things properly.

My husband says that the whole situation is ridiculous but to use it as a learning experience....easier said than done when you feel so guilty!! But like he said "what's happened has happened and there is nothing you can do". I will paranoid every time I enter a shop from now on! He also said that they would have probably forgotten about me by now because they would be dealing with people pinching bottles of vodka etc!!

He did not think that they would send the police around to my house now over a tiny bottle of nail varnish. My friend's husband who is a solicitor said that if they did arrest me now, just to admit to it (cos it has been filmed) and I will get a caution at the most :shock:

Thanks for all your help, girlies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back